Rikk s Bayou Board

Rikk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back from holiday and have made a list of what I think I’m aiming for on my board, hopefully this is a fair balance of types of terrain for blocking, hazard/severe, etc. etc.

2 shack/buildings (blocking impassable, ht 5) fairly big base size

1 dunny/out house (blocking impassable, ht 5) not too large base size

2 swamp trees (blocking impassable, ht 5) not too large base size

3 swamp reeds (blocking impassable, ht 3) reasonable sized base

3 swamp ponds (severe) reasonable sized base

Symbols of authority (50mm base, but combine onto large base size for combined scenery); pile o crap, pile o loot, pile o moonshine (blocking, ht 5)

1 moonshine still (blocking, impassable, ht 3) reasonable size base

1 pig pen/fenced area (ht 1)

Please could I have some feedback about what I’m missing, too much of anything? Not enough of something to balance out the board? Hazardous? 

Many thanks

Update time

Ive broken out the second shack/building, the print out what it looks like is below the mdf

E759483_A_B489_4_D87_8_D3_E_79_E11825_DB

Ive started with the base which was very fragile and I’ve broken bits but will try to make it look authentic

E6_AAF801_E1_FC_4540_8105_C76_E8547_E343

The roof, I’ll do similar style with this as the last one 

CDEFD61_E_C72_B_48_F8_A03_A_298_AF620715

My aim will to finish this building, the last swamp pond and 2-4 reed (screening scenery) by end of August, ready for the actual board to start in September.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The roof of the outhouse is finished

E510719_E_69_E2_4_B66_BD49_7_BDB06119930

I have also placed what I’ve made so far on the floor to work out how it sits within a 3’ by 3’ area

48_AD2_D52_F50_E_4390_A036_0_A26_D7_C47_

DAD415_B1_9873_4_D24_999_A_DC3887_B608_E

I could probably do with some smaller scatter terrain but nervous it’s taking up too much space for the board

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, the second shack is coming along though not rapidly. Should have it complete end of weekend.

also received two new buildings in post today

50421_B6_B_7343_4532_8_B27_79487_AB5_E49

same building I’ve used as first shack, will try to make it look a bit different and also a pig pen 

I’m going to need to put a move on if I want to have a board to take to Nationals (which I will submit a form for taking board if I can get two pieces more completed by end of Sept)

Some more progress in the scatter terrain, I think when lined up next to my other terrain the planks are a little on the large size, but meh 

EF1_B549_E_76_EF_4_DBD_8_AEA_FA875850_D8

8_C542_DA7_1925_4551_9144_7_ECB26_E91349

69_C47_B3_E_8_CDD_4_FB5_95_E0_67_C1_FE28

and with a bit of paint..

59_F43889_F06_A_4_BED_AA7_A_95_AC1948_D5

AA0_C04_EA_C56_F_4_F40_ACE0_BF94_BD8_FE6

01_A9_D46_C_E5_A5_4_CF3_A967_EA40009865_

I think I’ll have most of the scatter and new buildings finished tonight so sill post finished pics tomorrow 

• Like 2

The 14th and final piece of terrain has been started tonight

4_CDF3973_8_DDE_42_DC_9_D14_3_EA510_AD79

Aiming to finish by end of weekend  and then I’m away for a week.

that will leave me just two weeks to source (wickes ftw), build and paint a board in time for the Nationals.....cutting it close.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last shack is almost complete

7-FB45880-D8-FE-429-B-9-BF5-3-BA49442-A9

and more importantly the board has been ordered from a local wood merchant.

I can only get 39-40’’ in the car so have ordered a 38’’x38’’ and a 1’’ wide strip to put around the edge so I can add depth into the board. Should have it by the weekend for some frantic building and painting in time for Nationals

Edited by Rikk
Correct image uploaded this time
  • Like 2

I’ve picked up the board today.

18mm thick

38’’ by 38’’ and I also have 1’’ wide 18’’ thick strips to go round the outside 

030-AC07-F-AEF8-44-E5-90-FC-350-C7-AA4-A

A bit concerned I may need more terrain making as slightly sparse in places in a quick place of scenery. 

Too little terrain? Too much? About right?

• Like 2

That actually looks like quite a lot to me. It'll seem more full when you have the colour down on the board. The lower right hand corner looks a bit empty, but I'd just redistribute stuff.

Also, bear in mind terrain in the deployment zones tend to have much less impact on the game and LoS blocking pieces do more when placed centrally. 

Great stuff altogether. 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks, I think I’m going to make a small stream in one corner, potentially across the middle, unsure yet. 

Ill get some paint on the board and redo the terrain with a bit less in deployment and hopefully it will look a bit better.

I only have two weeks yesterday to get it done and little one birthday party tomorrow and relatives staying over so this is going to be rushed...

I have PVA and tacked the sides on, 36’’ by 36’’ play area

5981-D952-2-C35-443-F-89-E0-92-FB5942784

will poly filla the gaps tomorrow morning and pencil outline where things will go and where to create a stream. I also need to buy some more cork tiles to raise the inside of the play area and enable deep groove for the stream.

This should all be done and dried by Thursday and I can paint it all black and the brown on Friday, leaving me next weekend to paint it all and then 4 days for the stream resin to cure. Wow, that is cutting it close to Nationals.

• Like 1

Have laid out scenery and then painted a rough idea where I’d put a stream

974-B7-B8-D-FB55-412-C-8-AEC-E02-FEC5294

No longer sure about the stream as it takes up a lot of space and limits space for the terrain

I’ll get the polyfilla finished and put some cork down and try terrain in different layouts before committing to carving out a stream or not

• Like 1

Thanks both for the feedback.

Taking both comments into account I have dropped the river in the middle but going for one in a corner (giving enough space for corner deployment) and one coming in from the side and a permanent pond

F8921874-D21-E-40-AA-AA15-596-D1-AFB7162

Ive run out of PVA and almost out of pollyfilla already.

Painting this thing is going to be a pain, plus adding texture....

• Like 3

Looking great. I'd recommend picking up a couple of those army painter colour rattlecans in green/yellow/brown colours to speed things up. Or bite the bullet and pick up a cheap airbrush/compressor if you can get one in Aldi or the like.

Could you not keep the cork texture? It's fairly organic and makes for s nice playing surface