Tournament advice

Franchute

Hello,

I may play in a tournament next week. I'm thinking about bringing Ironsides. Below I list the strats and schemes for the three rounds. What do you think about taking her? Is there a round you think she would suffer a significant disadvantage? If so, with whom would you replace her? Please dont tell me take Sandeep all three rounds... :) 

Round 1: Extraction, Standard deployment
Schemes : Surround them, Covert Breakthrough, Show of Force, Vendetta, Public Demonstration

Round 2: Ply for information, Flank deployment
Schemes : Surround them, Covert Breakthrough, Undercover Entourage, Take one for the Team, Public Demonstration

Round 3: Headhunter, Close deployment
Schemes : Eliminate the leadership, Hold up their Forces, Search the Ruins, Take Prisonner, Recover Evidence

Round two seems like it will be the roughest one to take Ironsides into. She usually ends up in the middle of the action and she tends to want to activate late enough in the round that she can heal some wounds with her fists which makes her a decent Ply target. She also tends to do a lot of killing so is going to give up at least two points for Take One For The Team. Since she's also playing a bit forward and wants to be surrounded by enemy minions, Public Demonstration might be easy to score against her.

2 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

I've not played Ironsides yet (I'm buying her this week), but what I've heard about her is that she tends to get in the middle, wreck stuff for a hot second, then die. For that reason I would be careful round 3 with Eliminate the Leadership in the pool

Book 5 did a lot to fix that. The Steamfitter's buff can give her Armor +1 and some protection against big severe damage hits. Her Veteran Fighter Upgrade allows her to heal as a trigger on her Brass Knuckles attack. She'll probably give up the point for getting knocked to half health in most games but now I think she may be one of the most durable masters Arcanists have. She does really need to be careful when playing into Ressers because Decaying Aura on a beater like Izamu can ruin her day (it prevents healing and soulstone damage prevention).   

She also has access to Amina and the Medical Automaton who both boost her odds of living long enough to heal back up when your opponent is throwing everything they've got at Ironsides. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, retnab said:

In addition to WWHSD's post 

Which post? Do you also think that it is not great to take her into ply for information? The one time I played her in ply, I was bunching "small" models around her and activating her early so that she could ply and the rest of the minions would be in a position where they could not do it. Seize the day was helping me in that regard. She didnt die that game, but it was a one time experience and the friend I was playing with wasnt experienced enough. Anyway I would be willing to accept her dying late game if she's allow me to score one or two points for ply early game.

I'm interested in your opinion about Iron Determination. Which other upgrades would you would take in this case? I'm myself a big fan of the new ones and warding runes and wouldnt really know which one to sacrifice. What if the opponent plays ressers or neverborn? The one time I didnt take warding rune into ressers, the opponent summoned a hanged in her face and she had a bad day.

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

She does really need to be careful when playing into Ressers because Decaying Aura on a beater like Izamu can ruin her day (it prevents healing and soulstone damage prevention).    

I'm a big fan of Joss. He has always been helpful against Izamu.

24 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I'm interested in your opinion about Iron Determination. Which other upgrades would you would take in this case? I'm myself a big fan of the new ones and warding runes and wouldnt really know which one to sacrifice. What if the opponent plays ressers or neverborn? The one time I didnt take warding rune into ressers, the opponent summoned a hanged in her face and she had a bad day.

I'd pass on Union President before I went without Veteran Fighter and Warding Runes if I wanted Iron Determination. They compete for her zero action and if you are burning her Adrenaline to heal with Iron Determination, it probably doesn't matter if you are forced to lose a point of Adrenaline at the end of the turn. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Franchute said:

The one time I played her in ply, I was bunching "small" models around her and activating her early so that she could ply and the rest of the minions would be in a position where they could not do it. Seize the day was helping me in that regard. She didnt die that game, but it was a one time experience and the friend I was playing with wasnt experienced enough. Anyway I would be willing to accept her dying late game if she's allow me to score one or two points for ply early game.

It may have to do with how I play Ironsides. I tend to use her as less of a beater and more of a tar pit. I usually want to activate her later in the round so I that her fists do the maximum amount of healing and to pull enemies out of position with her lure after they've activated.

She may be okay at it if you used her to a bit more selectively and luring a model in for her crew to Ply and then putting up her Challenge aura to make it a bit more costly to for enemies to get the condition from models of yours.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I'm a big fan of Joss. He has always been helpful against Izamu.

I'm a big fan of Joss in almost any crew. He's obviously meant to be with Ramos, but he is a great tanky beater who can ignore just about any defensive tech they have (especially ressers with HtW). He is also a good platform for aura upgrades (Bleeding Edge Tech or Powered by Flame) since he is durable and likely to be on the front lines. Carrying Well Rehearsed to essentially give him a second HtK (or if he's close to Ironsides use it on her instead) makes him a real nuisance to get rid of. Hand Picked Men on Joss? Fun times

I like to play Ironsides into Ply. I tend to activate her early, pull stuff in, Ply with her and activate Challenge. That in combination with the Steamfitter condition makes it hard for opponents to get Ply at all, while her crew can ply and wreck faces around her. Also, Hand Picked Men makes it a lot easier to remove Ply once it is applied. Had a lot of success with that.

I think the third game will be the hardest for her, she is decent into headhunter, but Eliminate is risky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/03/2018 at 7:27 PM, retnab said:

In addition to WWHSD's post I swear by Iron Determination when EtL is in the pool. Being able to 0 to dump all your Adrenaline into healing and the RJ protection can both be super helpful.

Play Tonny yesterday (against Meifeng in "Public demo") first time i test "imbued protection" on her, and it's completely amazing ! My opponent abandon to try fight her (even if he take EtL)... I put Veteran / warding rune / Imb protec on her
And with Steam fitter ennemy redjoker is not really a problem...
One other thing is Johan he's very powerfull near Ironside with HpM and his own "solidarity" with MSU... and his rebel yell is a great advantage for remove PLY... and he can take Well rehersed ! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2018 at 10:35 AM, hemgath said:

Play Tonny yesterday (against Meifeng in "Public demo") first time i test "imbued protection" on her, and it's completely amazing ! My opponent abandon to try fight her (even if he take EtL)... I put Veteran / warding rune / Imb protec on her
And with Steam fitter ennemy redjoker is not really a problem...
One other thing is Johan he's very powerfull near Ironside with HpM and his own "solidarity" with MSU... and his rebel yell is a great advantage for remove PLY... and he can take Well rehersed ! 

Johan is amazing with Ironsides! If you're lucky enough to be facing a crew of constructs/tyrants, :+flip:+flip to hit and :+flip:+flip:+flipto damage on, with flurry, is hard to beat. I've gotten 18 damage out of a single activation on several occasions with that