Want to dive into Guild with Lucius

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all, 

I already own a pretty decent Neverborn collection including most of the available Mimics. Lucius is one Master I always wanted to get and therefore I'm searching for some advice on how to get started with Lucius in Guild. 

1.) Which second crew box do you recommend? Any special synergies with Lucius?

2.) I absolutely like Ryle. Any chance of a successful team Lucius/Ryle? In MkI Ryle was part of Lucius boxed set, but now the story seems to be an other.

3.) Besided Lucius, the second Master I pretty like is Hoffmann. I guess that there is almost no overlap in crew creation between Lucius and Hoffmann, right? What would be a good Hoffmann start then? Is it a good idea to get the Ramos crew in addition to Hoffmann's crew due to the fact that Hoffmann can hire Arcanist constructs with one of his upgrades?

thanks in advance

ZK

A few release waves back Hoffman and Lucius were pretty much recommended for anyone starting Lucius because Hoffman has some pretty good minions. Both the guardian and hunters are still fairly good for Lucius butthere has brrn some minion power creep. These days Witchling Thralls are probably more popular as Lucius' first buy though and monster hunters are just silly good minions. I'd still say you could do all right with Hoffman depending on how badly you want to min/max. I've had pretty bad results with Ryle and Lucius, they have no synergy. I hate that Ryle is ml 6 without a positive flip, I never hit his attacks. He is durable though so it's something I guess (until the enemy ignores armour). Ifthe enemy was stupid and didn't bribg anything to ignore armour Ryle can be almost invinsible but that never happens for me. I think mimics and minions work better, they get bonuses from Lucius.

Hoffman can make great use of models from the Ramos box but since he got even more upgrades fighting for slots I think a lot of players run him with only guild constructs now. You'll want the Peacekeeper and the unreleased riot breakers. You also need to find a proxy or conversion for another watcher. Don't know much more than that.

A counterpoint on Ryle, I think he has a place with Lucius.  He operates well as either a solo operator or supported by a guardian.  He does need some cards but that's not too bad.  You still need minions for Lucius like thralls or monster Hunter.

Tbh though I haven't run him in a while it is due to me being all over the place mentally, not because I think he's bad.

Both of them need a heavy hitter from their keyword for their next purchase. Those are high enough soulstone cost that one additional box will almost fill out the crew to 50ss, without the need to fill the crew with a second crew box’s worth of models.

I reluctantly agree with @Ludvig, because I am also in an armor ignoring meta, that I rarely run Arcanist Assets any more, and I miss those good models. I love O.S.A. and require Improved Harness: maybe you can go without it, and put Ramos’ box models into the crew instead.

Thralls occupy the same design niche that Ryle did in 1.5. Lucius can get one obey on Ryle per turn, with triggers. Hoffman can give him all the AP but no triggers.

I’ve found they share Master Queeg better than they do Ryle. Hoffman gives his beaters upgrades, Queeg carries Promises and gives them positive flips, stompybots keep enemies from reaching Queeg. Lucius casts aura of interact while engaged, Queeg casts aura of interact as a 0 action, cheap models produce scheme markers anywhere for next to no cost, rest of crew can be built to use them: see also witchling thrall attack, guild investigator push.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, Gnomezilla said:

Both of them need a heavy hitter from their keyword for their next purchase. Those are high enough soulstone cost that one additional box will almost fill out the crew to 50ss, without the need to fill the crew with a second crew box’s worth of models.

I reluctantly agree with @Ludvig, because I am also in an armor ignoring meta, that I rarely run Arcanist Assets any more, and I miss those good models. I love O.S.A. and require Improved Harness: maybe you can go without it, and put Ramos’ box models into the crew instead.

I have been dropping O.S.A. instead of Arcanist Assets to fit in Improved harness, there are turns I miss the extra AP but in general having access to metal gamin and the rail golem is just much more useful. I wouldn't bother with Ramos' box as the next purchase for Hoffman I would be picking up metal gamin and then a big hitter probably the peace keeper as he can also be taken with Lucius. While there is no direct synergy between Lucius and the Peacekeepr he is still an effective model that can quite happily work completely independently.