Help versus Ressurectionists

Gevurah

Hello my green skinned friends.  Im a resser player looking for help for my gremlin playing friend.  We play in our small group semi - competitively with each other.  So we both have a large amount of our respective factions' models.  

Its all good and fun, but my friend has difficulty beating me and it's starting to put some strain on him.  I was wondering if you all could give me some insight into good vs bad lists to take against ressers.  I usually play a different master every game so its not like i just spam nicodem all the time.  

I appreciate any help i can get and hope you all have a nice day. Let me know if you need any additional information. 

Unfortunately Ressers tend to pose some difficult challenges for the faction. Some things that they could try:

1. An elite Gremlin Crew Build
  2. Include a pair of Gremlin Taxidermists

Neither of these is a great option but the former will reduce the number of corpse counters the Gremlin player produces while the latter will at least offer a method for the Gremlin player to utilize the corpse counters for themselves.

A Pig build might also be worth considering. It wont provide a way to remove the corpse counters but Eat Your Fill might allow the large pigs to fight longer before dying.

(I really miss the old 1st edition days when Pigs could eat Corpse Counters with an Action called Eat Anything)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cfrag said:

What is your friend playing with,usually?

Unfortunately, I cant really remember all the games we've played, so I cant remember what masters he's played against me.  Our two most recent games, however, were Zipp vs Kirai and Ulix vs McMourning.  The Zipp game was very rough for him because he invested a number of points into Pere Ravage but my seishin can negate most pulse and blast damage.  The Ulix game I was able to just move up the board expunging things to death and tar pitted him with flesh constructs.  That is just what stuck out to me the most in those games.

He has most of the faction, not including Mah Tucket or Wong.  

Hello all, 

I'm the terrified green one that is having the issue above.

To expand on some of the issues I have when playing against Rezzors

If a model has Terrifying I tend to always lose those flips and then don't get to do anything. <A game where this happened was with Ophelia and I was attempting to rid the board of a Student of Viscera>

The Hanged is something I can't seem to get rid of ever...

And getting out activated is rough when I have to take 4 BGs just to compete with activation control < I might be Playing BGs wrong but I really dislike them, the only value I see with them is 3SS for 1 activation, Where Nico or Kirai is matching my activations with better summoned models>

5 hours ago, Gevurah said:

Unfortunately, I cant really remember all the games we've played, so I cant remember what masters he's played against me.  Our two most recent games, however, were Zipp vs Kirai and Ulix vs McMourning.  The Zipp game was very rough for him because he invested a number of points into Pere Ravage but my seishin can negate most pulse and blast damage.  The Ulix game I was able to just move up the board expunging things to death and tar pitted him with flesh constructs.  That is just what stuck out to me the most in those games.

He has most of the faction, not including Mah Tucket or Wong.  

Regarding using the Pere bomb vs Kirai, there's not much I can tell: sounds like the combo got hard countered, and there's not much you can do about it. However I'd say Zipp is a good master vs kirai. If you manage to use zipp to engage kirai with Up We Go while the rest of your crew does what it should be doing (scoring points and putting pressure), the kirai player will be having a hard time. Kirai wants to use her AP and cards summoning. She can't do that if she has to deal with Zipp. Just remember: if you're going all in with zipp like that, you want a 7SS cache and to keep 1 or 2 masks in hand for the defensive trigger.

Ulix vs McM is a tough one. I never had that match up (only played vs McM  with Zoraida and Zipp), and it (again), that you had a bad match up. Without knowing the strat/schemes it's hard to say, but unless you had low def targets to trigger eat your fill with your pigs, they wouldn't last long. Also, pigs suffer from having low wp, which is a liability vs crews that target it.

3 hours ago, Beeray said:

If a model has Terrifying I tend to always lose those flips and then don't get to do anything. <A game where this happened was with Ophelia and I was attempting to rid the board of a Student of Viscera>

I play vs terrifying a lot. What I do is, I basically don't even try to attack a terrifying model unless I have a card to "waste" passing the duel. Most times terrifying models don't have high df, so if I try to counter cheating the horror duel by not cheating the attacks themselves. At the end of the day, you only start with 6 cards in your hand so you must prioritize where you spend them on. Again, terrifying is more of a problem with low Wp models. Using liquid bravery helps with this. 

The Hanged is something I can't seem to get rid of ever...

You lack Wong in your arsenal :D Lightning bugs, swinecursed and the wong glowy target all ignore armor, incorporeal and hard to kill. That helps A LOT when you have to deal with the hanged. Also, if you're going to attack a hanged, make sure you do it with a high min dmg model, since you want to keep the number of attacks needed to the minimum.

And getting out activated is rough when I have to take 4 BGs just to compete with activation control < I might be Playing BGs wrong but I really dislike them, the only value I see with them is 3SS for 1 activation, Where Nico or Kirai is matching my activations with better summoned models>

Bayou Gremlins are amazing when you are not using their skills :D in other words, they're useful when you use their AP to score schemes by moving/interacting/dropping markers. And that's it. If you want cheap models that are good and increase your activation count, use survivors. For 1SS more you have some HtK, armor 1 minions. They can't move as fast as BG though, so don't count on them for interact/movement schemes.

You will always be getting out activated when playing against summoners. That's their thing. On the other hand, to do so, they have to forfeit master AP and their hand (they usually need high cards to summon good models). When I'm playing the summoner, I usually lose if my opponent a) kills my models in a more efficiently than I can summon them or b) they get a way to disrupt my summoning. What has worked best for me against summoners is putting a lot of pressure as soon as possible in the summoning miniatures. Engage them as soon as possible, and keep the pressure with most of your crew. 

Then again, I only play gremlin summoners and only played against kirai a couple times and never against nico, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Finally, the best piece of general advice I can give you is to make sure you are using your AP as efficiently as possible. Turn 1 is usually just for positioning, but from turn 2 onwards, if your opponent is using 3AP summoning with their master and your master is spending 2AP per turn just walking, you're gonna have a rough time. 

Keep trying and let us know how it goes. 

(P.S: Going aggressive also has the side effect that, if you lose, you lose fast 😂 sometimes fast enough that you can play 2 games instead of 1. It's the gremlin way)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cfrag said:

You lack Wong in your arsenal :D

Wong has been ordered. And should be here before the end of the week. XD

5 hours ago, cfrag said:

Bayou Gremlins are amazing when you are not using their skills

Ok, so im on the right path, Just have been trying to use them for more than just Schemes.
And im still considering the Survivors

I plan on getting more practice with the crews before the end of the week. I know ill be facing some 10Ts Thursday. 
Thank you everyone for your advise!
And I will report back with my successes soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeray said:

Wong has been ordered. And should be here before the end of the week. XD

Wong+2xSwinecursed+glowy Burt/McTawith/other tough guy+Sammy with Ooo Glowy+Taxidermist+Old Cranky may help.
Magical swinecurseds and Burt ot another beater will melt most models.
Sammy will held one Limited Upgrade for Wong so he can take  Gremlins Luck and Explosive Solutions.
Also Taxidermist for stealing enemy cosrps markers and making them stuffed piglets.
Old cranky for +1 wp to everyone.

And i didnt tried but gremlin mates saying that Brewmaster feels okay to play agains ressers.

Brewmaster doesn't have to play the Poison game. Swills are enough most of the time.

Moon Shinobi are fantastic against most Resurrectionists models, as they can target Df or Wp, have a trigger to push after being attacked, and have a 0 to push towards a model with Poison (which you or McMourning can hand out). Thanks to Drunken Gremlin Kung-Fu, they also convert all negative flips into positive ones. A tied attack against a Hard/Impossible To Wound model gets triple positive flips to damage.

If you're worried about McMourning, some Performers and/or Akaname might be worth considering, too.

• Agree 1

They way we play we have access to several Masters in our faction and will take what one we are feeling that day.
With that being said is there any Masters that just shouldnt go against Rezzors?

Brewie with Moon Shinobis and Akaname could be sweet to make sure if McMourning is picked i dont get Expunged to Death.
Also with Wong and the Magical show being able to ignore Incorporeal
Zipp and his nonsense

Should Ulix, Mah, Ophelia, or Somer be considered? 

In my humble opinion, they all have play against Ressers and probably the weakest against Ressers is Ulix because pigs and their abysmal wp and lack of range options. 

Otherwise, Mah is SO fast now with wave 5 upgrades, and can kinda play a similar role to Zipp. Don't forget her displacements. Summoners rely on bubbles and LoS a lot. 

Ophelia and Kin all have above average WP and the new Brin could be useful in condition clearing and negating any WP attacks particularly if you see a lot of Hanged. Shooting is also a thing many summoners don't have so if you get a full volley with her and the other Kin, Pere, Raph etc, you can wipe out 1 or 2 support pieces very quickly. 

Somer is "safe", he usually has enough Bayous to do whatever the scheme and strat is regardless of the opponent, with the potential to utterly annihilate something with his Boomer every so often. If you keep dropping masks he and many other Gremlins will ALL have Squeal, which makes the many melee attacks of undead fairly useless. Skeeters can tie up and annoy the Summoner and Bigger hat than you is an absolute nightmare against other summoners to the point they WILL drop the highest cards to stop it very often.

Of course, staying power is the opposite of the Gremlin way usually, always tripping over ourselves to be the first to get blown up. If Bayous are not performing, perhaps just pick up Show off and literally bomb the opponent to hell if they aren't kirai? 

Also, if opponent declares Ressers I'd almost always use Franc. With Wp7 he's a cold-hearted missile of doom for practically any of the Resser Masters. Just make sure it isn't Nico with Reaper grin who just... Ya know passes it off. He works obscenely well with Mah moving him into place to companion into a double charge. 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 3:53 PM, Beeray said:

My only issue with taking Brewie is McMourning.
Im worried that Ill just feed him the poison he needs

You could look at it the other way. McMorning is naturally poisoning his own side so you don't need to bother, saving you that effort. It might not work out that way, but when Both players make use of the same condition, it can lead to interesting and slightly unexpected outcomes. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 9:16 AM, Beeray said:

Ok, so im on the right path, Just have been trying to use them for more than just Schemes.
And im still considering the Survivors

I am neither a Gremlin nor a Resser player, but I played against Survivors for the first time late night. Especially with Sparks buffing them, my opponent easily got his 4ss worth from them. They are slow, but even at Wk 4, a 4 AP minion with armor 1 and HtK can be a decent tanky scheme runner

• Like 1

If Terrifying is causing the most issues...well the faction has a great piece to deal with that and a crew build that can feed it.

The Pigapult has a very high WP (read as not likely to fail one) and can be devastating if consistently fed with ammunition, cards, and healing, especially against slower crews.

Take a look at Som'er Teeth Jones with the Encouragement Upgrade and Liquid Bravery. These will assist in ramping up the Pigapult and also aid the rest of the crew with those Terrifying checks. Be sure to add Lenny with his specific upgrade to insure a constant supply of Piglets (I prefer them to Stuffed Piglets for ammo) and a Slop Hauler to keep the Pigapult running at maximum efficiency.

Might also be worth considering the old Suicide Gremlin tactic. Give Som'er the Show Off upgrade as well and you can set up a damaging situation that sacrifices those heavily wounded Gremlins so they don't drop Corpse Markers. Stuffed Piglets can do the same thing on their own and if summoned from a corpse counter are the best option for Corpse marker removal the faction has.

• Like 1

It's also worth mentioning that if you take Sparks, he can make your gremlins drop scrap markers instead of corpse markers when they die within 6" of him. He also can make the pigapult fast so that it can make 4 shots or 2 focused shots per turn. He also has a trigger that can push the pigapult 5 inches for a better range or for cover...I just convinced myself to buy Sparks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Finalscene said:

It's also worth mentioning that if you take Sparks, he can make your gremlins drop scrap markers instead of corpse markers when they die within 6" of him. He also can make the pigapult fast so that it can make 4 shots or 2 focused shots per turn. He also has a trigger that can push the pigapult 5 inches for a better range or for cover...I just convinced myself to buy Sparks.

That is basically what happened on Monday to me.
He should be here by end of week, along with Wong and Survivors!

7 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

that sacrifices those heavily wounded Gremlins so they don't drop Corpse Markers.

I have found in our games that he doesnt really need my Corpse Markers, he will be able to generate the markers that he needs to summon what he wants.
I havent gotten to play against Rezzors again since the start of this forum, but I think Zipp is my best bet to distract and reposition the summoner.

22 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

but I played against Survivors for the first time late night. Especially with Sparks buffing them

The Survivors "This thing shoots!?" really made me want to use them for just the hilarious factor, plus they can do some deadly things with Mah/Sparks

....I did alot of ordering this week....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1