Very new.

Kaernak

There are a variety of ways to play Shen besides the gun line. Biggest questions to me are whether or not you take Sensei Yu and whether or not you take Yasunori. 

Some people think Yu is redundant and not needed others think Yu augments Shen well and let Shen serve as a mid range beater while Yu takes over the support role and let’s you get more mileage out of upgrades.

With Yas it’s a question of cost; great model but almost expensive enough you could get two models instead. 

A sample list with both might be: Shen w/Wandering & Recalled Training, Peasant ( you get the other one first turn with a miracle), Yu w/Promising Disciple & Peaceful Waters, Yamaziko w/Hidden Agenda, Yasunori w/Smoke or Recalled Training, Shadow Emissary w/Conflux of Dawn, Low River Monk. 

If you drop Yu, you can get another beater (Izamu), if you drop Yas and RT on Shen you get Samurai & Sniper, or if you keep RT you get either Samurai or Sniper and another utility piece like TTB, Charm Warder, etc

By no means a tuned tournament list for a specific game but some ideas similar to lists I have run. 

Trying this against my friend who is also new.

Shenlong (wandering river)

Peasant

Yu (promising disciple, peaceful waters)

Emissary(conflux of dawn)

Lone Swordsman(recalled training)

Katakana Sniper

High River Monk

Low River Monk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaernak said:

Trying this against my friend who is also new.

Shenlong (wandering river, recalled training)

Peasant

Yu (promising disciple, peaceful waters)

Emissary(conflux of dawn)

Lone Swordsman(recalled training)

Katakana Sniper

Monk of High river.

Looks like a super solid crew.  The Lone Swordsmen is brutal with Shenlong, going 5AP a turn with recalled training really kills stuff dead!

Monk of HR isn't bad as a scheme runner, most people go 10T Bro, but his best (0) trigger requires a mask which you don't always have (and you may Black Joker it) whereas HR (0) push is guaranteed. He's also a better scheme runner hunter.  See how he goes, it's fun to buck Internet wisdom!

Although you probably really do want a Monk of LOW River in there too if you can (you can't take Peaceful Waters without one...). You can squeeze one in if you drop Recalled Training on Shenlong... (although it does mean you only have 2ss, I think the extra 3 cards a turn is worth it...)

Also 1600th post! Yey me!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Looks like a super solid crew.  The Lone Swordsmen is brutal with Shenlong, going 5AP a turn with recalled training really kills stuff dead!

Monk of HR isn't bad as a scheme runner, most people go 10T Bro, but his best (0) trigger requires a mask which you don't always have (and you may Black Joker it) whereas HR (0) push is guaranteed. He's also a better scheme runner hunter.  See how he goes, it's fun to buck Internet wisdom!

Although you probably really do want a Monk of LOW River in there too if you can (you can't take Peaceful Waters without one...). You can squeeze one in if you drop Recalled Training on Shenlong... (although it does mean you only have 2ss, I think the extra 3 cards a turn is worth it...)

Also 1600th post! Yey me!

Stupid me. He is in there and I wrote my list from memory.  Whoops!  Good call out!

Also HRM over 10T Bro is because I have HRMs and not 10T bros atm.  That was simply a "this is what I have" pick lol.