Very new.

Kaernak

Recently grabbed the Rail Crew box to paint up to give myself a break from my other game(steampunk machine).  Found myself watching battle reports and finding that the system may be pretty fun.  Ended up with the Shenlong box and the Lone Swordsman too.  With this being what I have, what should I be fielding and what should I be building too?  Did I get a bunch of mish mash that doesn't work together?

I think an aggressive Mei would like the High River Monks spreading burning around for her and her crew.  They arent great but at 5pts (new errata cost) they are more worth it.  Lone Swordsman and Yu have some synergy for sure a fast and reactivate on a decent beater is a good thing.  Only downside of Yu and Mei is the lack of a (0) Tactical for him to copy.  It overall is a good start.  Rail Workers are typically overlooked but I quite enjoy them.  I would look into Bunraku as well.  Their short lure could bring in already activated models.  In tandem with a High River Monk to hand out burning.  Then Mei railwalks to Bunraku and gets positive damage flips to the burning target.  While there are other ways to hand out burning High River Monks low damage is actually +1 more due to burning and relentless is really nice to have.

Welcome to Malifaux!  The Burning combination @Hargus56 suggests is definitely where I'd start with what you have. His note about Mei not having a (0) action is also a good point; I often take the On Wings of Wind upgrade with her to provide extra mobility, especially with Sensei Yu in the mix. You can find that in the Wave 2 Ten Thunders Arsenal box. Mobility is a bit of a weakness in the Mei Feng crew (except for Mei herself), so Sensei Yu is a big help there. Kang, for instance, is a pretty good beater, especially against Resurrectionists, but he takes forever to get to the fight without a little help.

You've certainly got enough there to get yourself rolling, so I'd say play a few games with that setup and see what you like. I have a bunch of suggestions below, but it's usually a good idea to learn a small number of models really well before expanding too much. I did the opposite, and was a lot slower to learn my models well as a result.

If and when you want to add more, by first recommendation would be the Shadow Emissary. It's a bigger investment, but is a really useful addition to any 10T crew and will definitely be worthwhile. In additional to giving any crew a lot of mobility, he's good at generating scrap markers for Mei to use, and he can provide some good card draw for Shenlong. Plus he's a big cool-looking model. :)

One popular combination with Mei is Toshiro the Daimyo (who is sold by himself) and a box of Komainu (which he can summon with scrap markers). Komainu are useful cheap constructs for Mei, and the ability to turn scrap markers into mobile activations that she can still Railwalk to is good. Toshiro can also summon Ashigaru, which are available in the Yan Lo box (Masters of the Path) or by themselves, but those are less immediately relevant to Mei.

Other ways to generate more scrap for Mei and/or Toshiro include the Mechanized Porkchop (a Greminlins model, but Mei Feng can bring it because of the Foundry keyword) and Obsidian Oni.

For Shenlong, you might want to look at some Katanaka Snipers. They are great long-range shooters by themselves, but his ability to let them Focus as a (0) action is a big boost to their damage output.

I second the Porkchop with mei. In that same potential is Sparks. Sparks can make any model a construct and give it fast at the price of a scrap marker. If you add Lazarus into the mix, then Laz can be fast AND copy Mei feng's railwalk or vent steam after Sparks makes her a construct. 

Yes, rules are definitely advised. :) Get them free here.

You may also want the phone app (Bad Things Happen, on iOS or Android). It has a crew builder, strategy/scheme reference, rules quick reference, summoner cards, FAQ/errata, etc. All that’s free, but for a one-time $10 charge, you also get permanent access to all present and future model stat cards within the app. It’s a great reference, though it might be information overload as you’re just getting started. 

Feel free to post here when questions come up; we’re a pretty friendly group. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've got the basic rules and have painted up a pretty good Mei Feng.  The rest of her crew are in various construction states.  Since I learn by watching, is there a good youtube channel where people play high tier lists against each other for our faction?  I'm down to watch rando bro1 & 2 duke it out in the garage but I want to see the full fury of our faction as well.

i don't know about the youtube channel, but try the schemes and stones podcast. the mei fang and shenlong episodes are a bit out of date, but a good introduction.

the A Wyrd Place and ten thunders facebook group are a good source of information too.

12 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I’m not sure where in the world you are but most areas that have much of a Malifaux presence have a Henchman (I think Press Gangers are the Warmachine equivilent) that can arrange to give you a demo of the game.

We actually don't have a henchmen but we have several people interested in the game at my FLGS and if it takes off I may just be the Henchman. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep asking questions but the game I come from has an app that makes cards for the models obsolete as cards don't get reprints due to errata.  Will the aforementioned Bad Things Happen app make the game playable without me having to carry a deck box around with my models? 

The Bad Things Hapoen app does include errata for cards, almost immediately after the errata are released. Updated physical cards are also available through print on demand at http://www.wargamevault.com/m/browser/publisher/5162  

@bindi pretty much has it right; you *can* play the game with only the app and no cards, but having the physical cards is usually better for many reasons. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OneLittleThunder said:

bindi pretty much has it right; you *can* play the game with only the app and no cards, but having the physical cards is usually better for many reasons.

I would add u can use your phone and app but whatever happens with your app/phone e.t.c and u can't show your crew/scheme or anything that might be needed in game u auto-loose. 

On 4/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, Kaernak said:

Roanoke, VA in the US

I'm a Henchman down in Kingsport TN but I live in Bristol TN which is only 90 minutes away. If you want me to I'll let you know when I'm running events. I'd also be willing to travel to Roanoke for events or to do demos etc to help you all get started. A friend of mine who lives in Blacksburg also plays. PM me if you have questions or want to get together.

Welcome to Malifaux!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

I'm a Henchman down in Kingsport TN but I live in Bristol TN which is only 90 minutes away. If you want me to I'll let you know when I'm running events. I'd also be willing to travel to Roanoke for events or to do demos etc to help you all get started. A friend of mine who lives in Blacksburg also plays. PM me if you have questions or want to get together.

Welcome to Malifaux!

I've been down your way in the past.  You really aren't that far away!  100% I'd love a demo.  Let me reach out to my crew and we will try to set up something.  Lunch/dinner on me!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kaernak said:

Ok another newbie question.  I noticed that Kang comes with a shovel AND a hammer.  Does it matter which I put on him (like 40k) or not?

Nope, the models are 100% aesthetics, their stat cards and upgrades are totally independent.

Welcome to Malifaux. 

First thing I would recommend is assemble, paint, and start getting some games in. Start playing and get at least 5-10 games in with what you have before you start looking at picking up more stuff. Start out with Mei Feng and play your first 5 games with her before trying out Shen Long- I love Shen Long but when you are new to the game Meis is a much better starting master to use to give you a chance to explore the mechanics and learn to balance killing vs. scheming. 

With Mei you can take her, Kang, the Lone Swordsman, then 2 x Rail Workers, and 3 x Monk of High River + upgrades to taste. On Mei for a starting crew Har Worker, Seismic Claws, and Price of Progress are decent upgrades- Thunderous Smash can also be good in a marker heavy scheme pool. For Kang and the Lone Swordsman it's dealers choice on upgrades- People's Challenge, Recalled Training, Smoke Grenades, are all options- if you take only take 2 SS of upgrades between them (Recalled Training on both maybe) then you could pick up the Emberling also.... he is nice for a 3SS significant activation but I generally don't like him for most things. Alternately you can pick up some more upgrades and/or just keep more stones for your cache for use by Mei and Kang. If you have the stones then you can also look at swapping one of Mei's upgrades for one that requires triggers if you want but I would likely keep them as described. 

Play this for a number of games- then swap in Sensei Yu w/Wandering River Style and try him out for a few games to see what tricks you can do with him pushing Mei and Kang around and making one of them Fast each turn. After you have played a few more games with this then try out Shen Long.  Try Shen Long w/Wandering River Style & Recalled Training, 1 x Peasant (you will summon the second 1 first turn with Witness a Miracle), Sensei Yu w/Promising Disciple, Kang, The Lone Swordsman, 3 x Monk of High River. the leave you a couple of stones left over to either add to the cache or pick up another upgrade or two (Recalled Training on Kang and/or The Lone Swordsman, or Smoke Grenades somewhere, or 1 x Recalled Training and 1 SS to add to your cache). 

Even though a lot of the models are the same as what you would be using in your Mei crews they will play a whole lot differently with Shen Long. Play this for a few more games and then assess. Don't run out to buy a lot more until you have played some games and gotten a feel for the game and the mechanics. 

None of the list suggestions I posted are tournament winning caliber (likely) but will enable you to play some games without getting embarrassed/humiliated. They also provide a base to modify off of and as you start expanding your collection start swapping a model or two out at a time instead of building from scratch until you are more comfortable.

Once you get the games under your belt then start looking at models that will work with the type of style you like and approach you like to play. Then buy the Shadow Emissary and whatever else you want. The Shadow Emissary is one of the few mandatory purchases in Ten Thunders; there are other models that are good, but the Shadow emissary is great with pretty much every master in Ten Thunders and is useful in almost every game. 

Good luck and have fun..... and play games, lots of games, with the same core set of models until you know them inside and out. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay!  Got a couple of games in at 35 points with Mei, 2 high river, 2 rail crew, kang and lone swordsman.  This game is super super fun but I think I'm going to enjoy shenlong a bit more than Mei. Other than katakana snipers and effigy what does his normal list look like?