Another reason Marcus is #1

KingCrow

Something I just stumbled upon while theory-fauxing: Marcus can be a great way to shut down Sandeep's Beacon ability.  

Use Alpha to control one of the opponent models and use their AP to use all of Sandeep's Beacon actions (except for a single 0).  Not bad considering you use the pull to misplace something, then damage something and then use a zero to probably misplace the model you just used or place a marker where it's not needed.  This then probably shuts down his Student of All ability (depending on what zero you use) and further restricts his and his crews utility.  

Granted, yes, Sandeep still has his own AP to use and such, but by shutting down Beacon, you've cut down on the crews utility and damage. 

So... who wants to play some Marcus? Lol.

Edit: This does bring up a question - if you Alpha a model, use Sandeep's actions by Beacon and get a Tome, does that allow Sandeep to use his Student of All ability? I think the answer is yes so that'll be something to watch out for.

Sandeep’s damage dealing ranged attack has a built in book. You are always going to give Sandeep the ability to use Student of All if you Beacon that attack and deal damage (unless the model is near a model like the Freikorps Librarian or shooting at something with Counterspell)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

Sandeep’s damage dealing ranged attack has a built in book. You are always going to give Sandeep the ability to use Student of All if you Beacon that attack and deal damage (unless the model is near a model like the Freikorps Librarian or shooting at something with Counterspell)

True.  I guess at least with you using it instead of the Sandeep player, you're forcing him to choose to decide to take the damage, discard a card for the extra Sandeep AP and then do whatever or cheat to block the damage, thus not getting the extra AP.  Either way, you're forcing the opponent to play on your terms and not theirs. 

It's all based on how u compare them.

Sandeep overall is more balanced and cheaper while Marcus needs an incredible model pool to match and perhaps surpass Sandeep.

Sandeep can be reinforced by summons while there is no comeback if Marcus starts loosing.

Overall Sandeep is more prepared for everything and can lead/support/reinforce his crew while Marcus  is a dancing on the table horse that once made a mistake its GG WP nice try...

So in my personal  honest opinion (rofl) Marcus is strong and can pretend on being #1 but only if u are choosing him as main and buy,buy,buy models while Sandeep needs only few boxes and he stands #1.

Game results are different story, sa i said before 

It's all based on how u compare them.

1 hour ago, KingCrow said:

True.  I guess at least with you using it instead of the Sandeep player, you're forcing him to choose to decide to take the damage, discard a card for the extra Sandeep AP and then do whatever or cheat to block the damage, thus not getting the extra AP.  Either way, you're forcing the opponent to play on your terms and not theirs. 

I think you are probably better off just using Alpha on Wp 4 Banasuva, having him beat on some friendlies and then use up Sandeep’s place to put him somewhere useless. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I think you are probably better off just using Alpha on Wp 4 Banasuva, having him beat on some friendlies and then use up Sandeep’s place to put him somewhere useless. 

I respectfully disagree.  What's to stop the Sandeep player from moving the Banasuva right back to where it was and beat some face in or Sandeep just resummoning Banasuva in the same spot he was before? When it gets to turn 3+, finding a useless spot can be hard since models are spread out or engaged all over the board (depending on the strategy). At least with using up Sandeep's Beacon ability you're cutting off a huge access of utility to the crew.  Of course the raw damage from Banasuva can be nice but shutting down utility through Beacon helps win games. 

1 hour ago, KingCrow said:

I respectfully disagree.  What's to stop the Sandeep player from moving the Banasuva right back to where it was and beat some face in or Sandeep just resummoning Banasuva in the same spot he was before? When it gets to turn 3+, finding a useless spot can be hard since models are spread out or engaged all over the board (depending on the strategy). At least with using up Sandeep's Beacon ability you're cutting off a huge access of utility to the crew.  Of course the raw damage from Banasuva can be nice but shutting down utility through Beacon helps win games. 

Sandeep would have to kill Banasuva to resummon him which is probably going to eat up at least two or three AP and  a high card. If you place Banasuva as far away as the 6 inch place allows then it’s further than he can go in a single walk action tocget back to where he was even if you don’t put him on the other side of blocking terrain. If Banasuva has the upgrade that keeps him from moving he’s stuck out of position until the next turn.

Using up all of Sandeep’s Beacon abilities is nice and all but in most rounds it’s just an annoyance. It’s only a big deal if the Sandeep player needed a model to use a particular ability that round. It’s going to probably take a zero action, 2 AP, and a high mask or stone from Marcus to pull off. It seems to me that everytime you think about using Alpha, you should br asking yourself “Is this this going to havr more impact than a min damage 4 charge?”.

19 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Sandeep would have to kill Banasuva to resummon him which is probably going to eat up at least two or three AP and  a high card. If you place Banasuva as far away as the 6 inch place allows then it’s further than he can go in a single walk action tocget back to where he was even if you don’t put him on the other side of blocking terrain. If Banasuva has the upgrade that keeps him from moving he’s stuck out of position until the next turn.

Using up all of Sandeep’s Beacon abilities is nice and all but in most rounds it’s just an annoyance. It’s only a big deal if the Sandeep player needed a model to use a particular ability that round. It’s going to probably take a zero action, 2 AP, and a high mask or stone from Marcus to pull off. It seems to me that everytime you think about using Alpha, you should br asking yourself “Is this this going to havr more impact than a min damage 4 charge?”.

Sandeep wouldn't have to kill Banasuva, he could just resummon him to sacrifice the old Banasuva since he's rare 1 and Banasuva has the ability on the front of his card to sacrifice all other totems when Banasuva is summoned.  So the only real restriction is having a Gamin within range and an upgrade still available.  

As someone who avidly plays Sandeep and Marcus, I can say how much it sucks to not be able to use a Beacon ability or to not have it go off.  A min 4 damage charge is nice but then that leaves Marcus open to counterattack and possible death.  I prefer to control the ebb and flow of battle with Alpha, Darzee's Chaunt, the abilities from the upgrades and Law of Meat but not adverse to charging in when needed.  Perhaps it's just differing play styles but I think this strategy could hurt a Sandeep player on a critical turn (or turns even).

3 minutes ago, KingCrow said:

Sandeep wouldn't have to kill Banasuva, he could just resummon him to sacrifice the old Banasuva since he's rare 1 and Banasuva has the ability on the front of his card to sacrifice all other totems when Banasuva is summoned.  So the only real restriction is having a Gamin within range and an upgrade still available.  

As someone who avidly plays Sandeep and Marcus, I can say how much it sucks to not be able to use a Beacon ability or to not have it go off.  A min 4 damage charge is nice but then that leaves Marcus open to counterattack and possible death.  I prefer to control the ebb and flow of battle with Alpha, Darzee's Chaunt, the abilities from the upgrades and Law of Meat but not adverse to charging in when needed.  Perhaps it's just differing play styles but I think this strategy could hurt a Sandeep player on a critical turn (or turns even).

You can't palce Banasuva if you already have it on the table. Rare one applies before you sacrifice the old gamin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KingCrow said:

If you use a particular Beacon ability that the Sandeep player really needed that turn it could be huge. The problem is that you're gambling almost Marcus's entire activation eating up all those Beacon abilities. It seems like you are going to be better off using Alpha to do something that has a concrete effect and maybe use a Beacon ability that you think is key for Sandeep that turn.    

• Like 1