March Newsletter

Lucidicide

exploitative female minis

Oh well, sexist or whatever, female minis are one of the reasons I like Malifaux.

Haven't heard any negative thoughts on those from my wife or a girl who regularly plays M2E in our community.

Maybe I'm just on the other side of the ocean or something like that, lol

• Like 4
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

New stuff - 17 pieces - which might sound like a lot, but they go together a dream, and cleanup - minimal. 

I hesitate to be a dissenting voice - because normally I really love Wyrd minis and the quality of your work - but my Alt Laz has some pretty bad seams in large and not easy to clean places. Down the middle of a line of rivets for example. And the slightly rubbery material is making it a real pain to clean up. To the point I took it out of the bag, separated it from the sprue, cleaned 2-3 pieces, then got frustrated and put it all back in the bag... 

Maybe I just got a bad cast or something, but if you have any tips on how to clean him up quickly and easily I'm all ears. As it is, I'm trying to very gently carve the mold lines out, because scraping or filing doesn't seem to work at all. But that's a long process and I often worry that I'm making more of a mess than I'm cleaning up with this material. :(

Or maybe I'm just too spoilt by the quality of your hard plastics and how easy they are to clean up... also entirely possible.

• Agree 1

Hrmmm, well you might have gotten a bad one. The three I just pulled all are in good shape and go together with minimum fuss. Exacto knife took off anything that was a mold line with a little bit of patience.

I will say this, clean it up (as in wash it, but you should do that regardless) before gluing and painting. Release agents, etc. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Hrmmm, well you might have gotten a bad one. The three I just pulled all are in good shape and go together with minimum fuss. Exacto knife took off anything that was a mold line with a little bit of patience.

I will say this, clean it up (as in wash it, but you should do that regardless) before gluing and painting. Release agents, etc. 

Maybe I'm just not used to cutting seams off with a knife anymore, but I'm finding that really difficult with the slightly rubbery plastic. I'm going to have another go tonight, so maybe I'll have more luck.

I will say that it does look like, once I get it cleaned up, it'll go together nicely. And thanks for being so interactive on here - it's really appreciated. :)

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Alt Lazarus for instance in the hard plastic would have been over 40 pieces. I laugh long and hard when I saw that and said 'nooooo'. Thus the delay in him hitting the public, decided to try him out in the new plastic. New stuff - 17 pieces - which might sound like a lot, but they go together a dream, and cleanup - minimal. 

So yes, sometimes I do stuff just because I have a wild hair up my ass and decide to do so. Other times, I'm experimenting for reasons that y'all might not see for years out yet. 

For the record, thank you.  Knowing almost nothing about the model development process, do you have a rendering of what the hypothetical nightmare runner/sprue/parts would look like?  Or does it not make it that far in the development process...

Just to share my opinion,  although I'm sure I'm in the minority,  I'd  preprefer a 40 piece model if it meant it was the regular material. 

It was a guilder model though,  so I'm not really gonna complain. But if it was something I was purchasing I'd have probably steered clear.

It is cool to see new (or new takes on old) processes being tested. Do I wish I could get the painter gremlin or alt Lazarus in regular plastic? Yeah,  but it is what it is. The new plastic isn't for me,  I'll hold off judgment on the metal until I see it in the wild. Until then I'll just take it as an opportunity to paint all this stuff I have on my shelve already haha

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

On 3/20/2018 at 8:31 AM, Nathan Caroland said:

Because I like getting my toes dipped back in the early days to play around.

Because I could.

Because I was curious again about metal and some other things I'm messing with.

And because even more bluntly, I've got my plastic people up to their eyeballs between finishing up TOS, continuing with Malifaux, knocking out the new Wyrdscape - and I don't need to add on top of it at the moment. 

It was a bit nostalgic to go through the process of cuts and having metal in hand again - and the damn slivers of little metal everywhere. :)

I just have one question:

Iron Wind Metals for the manufacturer?

Because I still remember almost a decade ago, opening up a metal Sue for my Deadlands collection, and smelling that unique pewter odor which belongs only to IWM.

I’m a fan of Knight Models’ Batman Miniatures Game, which recently switched from metal to resin.  The debate over that has been sort of déjà vu for me.  Like some cosmic gaming constant that we’ll argue till the sun dies.

Love Bob Ross and his happy little pig.  On the subject of the Victorias, and this is in general ... who’s the Tank Girl fan in the office? I really want to get those alts, chop the head of the bunny-suited Ash Vic, and replace it with a kangaroo’s.  

• Like 1

If not even pepperoni pizza, the most perfect creation this universe has ever seen it's not complain-free, it was no surprise metal models would generate a bit of a discussion. 

As long as the quality it's the same as all other Wyrd's models, I'm fine with it. My only concern is that I couldn't refer any more to my Viks as glass cannons, because you know, metal and stuff... 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2018 at 8:14 AM, Nathan Caroland said:

Things are delayed, not that it's anyone's business, but due to the fact that customs has their arms elbow deep in the boat and containers which it carried. Wish it was otherwise, but those folks have a job to do and nothing we say is going to rush them.

This is usually fair after the chinese newyear when things start rolling out again is it not? I would suspect it hit you guys even harder this year with the amount of stuff you are likely getting in with both Malifaux and TOS.

Those who complain about the Viks models need to put down their fedoras and give up white knighting. Is one a bit short on clothing? sure but it is not like the rest of her is way out of proportion like some raging hero models. It is time to realize some women in the world are made to those proportions and wear those type of cloths of their own choice. Malifaux is great at having female models that come in all shapes and sizes, we should be praising Wyrd for covering all the bases (even the dead ones).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

2 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Duration of the Easter weekend. They don’t tell us exactly when so a rush of people don’t crash the server.

I'm pretty sure he meant the list of other special stuff for sale over Easter. Or was that mentioned somewhere? 

9 hours ago, the tick said:

NICE! Yeah those look great, thanks for sharing.

Are those the metals?!?!! Never seen such quality!! That can't be pewter. Wyrd is going to put Corvus Belli out of business next :}

The volume and roundness.. it's just... New I guess