Marcus rules them all

HadjiMurat

Been playing Marcus almost exclusively for a long time now. I do own Raspy, Ramos, Mei Feng and Colette, but every time I end up choosing Marcus as my master. So I need help, which strats (and schemes) would you rather choose one of the mentioned masters over Marcus? Or does Marcus rule them all ( except Sandeep )? Will the faction you play against alter your choice? I mainly play against Outcast (viks and Von Schill).

I am also an avid Marcus player and absolutely love his play style and aesthetics (although Titania has some badass nature-y aesthetics too).  His ability to control almost anything on the board has shut down and frustrated many of my opponents.  It's always great to control Seamus and make him use his Gun on his own crew (which counts for his once per turn use) or make Asami go poof because she has Flicker. Marcus is the master that I usually take to tournaments to surprise people because most anticipate Sandeep and have never really encountered Marcus so get thrown off when they see all the crazy stuff Marcus can do. lol.

Marcus is a relatively poor choice when Eliminate the Leadership is in the pool because his only real defense is his trigger to pass off damage and getting armor +1 from the Steamfitter only goes so far.  Of course that may be because I usually bring Trail of the Gods for that extra +2 damage and +3 walk. 

For schemes and strats I do not use Marcus in, I prefer Dancing Sabre Colette in Ply for Info because it gives an unbelievable amount of AP control, but that's a very niche and personal preferred playstyle.   Plus bringing a Showgirl (read: Carlos) with Practiced Production is just fantastic for scheme marker based schemes.

For Raspy and Mei... well, just play Mei in TT and even then, she's just too subpar unless you want almost a complete support master... which is what she is fantastic at. Raspy is great at blowing stuff up.  I'd think of playing her in Ours.  Hmmm... maybe I do need to try her in Ours. 

I don't play Ramos much so I can't really give you any feedback with him and I don't have many Outcast players in my meta so can't help you there either.  Sorry.

The reason Sandeep beats out Marcus is because Sandeep allows for more interactions and gives more buffs than Marcus could ever give.  Marcus is great for focusing down single miniatures while Sandeep is great for covering the entire crew. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sybarite said:

I dont get that Mei logic. She's subpar but fantastic?

I think she is locked into a boring playstyle that goes counter to how you want her to play when you read her card. You think all those attack rules would do something but then you only end up venting for all her ap or attacking and causing minimal damage to get to vent more.

2 hours ago, Sybarite said:

I dont get that Mei logic. She's subpar but fantastic?

@Ludvig has it correct.  She has all those triggers to get multiple attacks but you have to have the exact cards in hand (or stone for triggers) and also have a decent setup on the board to get it to work even if you have the right cards in hand as her triggers push models around a lot.  You want to try to get her to attack a lot (especially since she has a minimal damage of 2) but she ends up just venting steam to protect the crew and using the trigger on her Railwalk to bring models along with her across the board.  So thus is my reasoning of a subpar master who is great at supporting. 

Although that one time that you do manage to get the proper set up to get like 4 or more attacks in one AP, you feel like a god. lol. 

• Like 1

@HadjiMurat To get back on topic my preferred style for choosing a master is to decide on a master and play that master into any game for a period of time. When I get bored I switch. Any master you are familiar with is likely to be better for you even if a certain master might be very good in a scheme pool. Familiarity does a lot. I've seen people solo Rasputina into very schemey pools and do well, the flexibility in hiring models besides your master makes all of them fairly capable. Raspy with a showgirl carrying Practiced Production and/or an icedancer can do pretty well in scheme heavy pools.

I just recently joined the Arcanists so for now it's all about Marcus for me. Later this year I'm tempted to give Mei Feng or Ramos a spin since I own them too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...