Tournaments: Flip for turn 6+?

Clement

Do you flip for turn 6+?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So here's a fun thing I ran into at my last big "multiple metas" tournament.  One of my games was really coming down to the wire at the end of turn 5, after we scored points for the turn, I reminded my opponent since they won initiative, they should flip for the extra turn.  He was shocked, apparently his meta (not a small meta to the best of my knowledge) "Don't play past turn 5 in tournament games".  We conferred with the TO that, yes we flip for turn 6, and the game proceeded as per the rules.

So what I'm wondering is, how many other metas out there have removed the variable game length rules?

I've had games go to turn 6+ and I've had those extra turns result in me not winning and in me not losing, and in both cases it felt bad. When I started I really liked the rule, thought it was neat and innovative. But the longer I play the more I am 100% ok forgetting about the extra turns. Most of the time locally we forget to flip. The times we do remember I would say it is at best 50/50 in we choose to flip to continue.

All of the tournament games I've played, we've flipped for turn 6+, if only to celebrate getting that far.  :P

The last game that I can think of that didn't flip for turn 6 was Gen Con Henchman Hardcore, but those games were being run deliberately on tight schedules and fast paces.  

• Like 1