Missing background?

Mortarion

***Minor spoiler warning for the background just around the shift to 2nd ed***

Since I started playing Malifaux in 2nd ed, I have been trying to catch up on old background by listening to Breachside Broadcast. Having listened through every episode up to the 2nd ed stuff, I feel like I am missing something. Towards the end of the stories just before 2nd ed, it felt like most of the Masters were drawn towards some kind of larger conflict. Especially the stories about Sonnia Criid, Samael Hopkins, Seamus, Molly and Leveticus, but others as well. Then followed some generic stories which did not feature any of the major characters and then 2nded came along. But the first 2nd ed stories very much feels like the aftermath of something. Like they refer to something big that has happened. And that something would fit in very well with the larger conflict that the older stories were leading up to. But I can't find any background about what happened there.

So, am I missing something? Does Breachside broadcast not feature all the older stories? Were the stories of what happened during that time published somewhere else, like Chronicles? Or is there a gap in the background between 1.5 and 2nd ed?

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Sounds like you've missed the avatar stories but I don't remember enough old stories to be certain. Maybe stories from an early m2e campaign?

No, I have heard the Avatar stories. But if Breachside broadcast have them in correct order they happened earlier.
However, it did seem like they were building up to something similiar to "the Event".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mortarion said:

No, I have heard the Avatar stories. But if Breachside broadcast have them in correct order they happened earlier.
However, it did seem like they were building up to something similiar to "the Event".

The big conflict that everyone is getting drawn in, that pretty much starts with The Event, essentially hits its climax in the Shifting Loyalties story A Man Burns. 

The Breachside Broadcast stories probably feel a little out of order but that's the order of the stories as they were published in the rule books.  And, unfortunately, when a new edition comes out you need to include stories that allow new players to get a sense of what's going on without having read the previous stories.  That's pretty much why the episodes from 46 to 53 may seem like recap or tangent stories.

Edit:  Shifting Loyalties starts with the Role Reversals story, which is episode 71.  

Edit 2:   Shifting Loyalties has 7 faction stories ("Role Rebersals" is the Guild story, then "Shifting Loyalties" and "A Man Burns".  Not all of the Faction stories contribute meaningfully to the main plot line.  

• Like 3

There’s a few stories in earlier Wyrd Chronicles which are more essential to the overarching plot than I thought. The issues which came out around the second edition changeover (four through...seven? eight? I’m working my way through those now) gently advance some masters past the Event into second edition. But you absolutely need number fourteen and the story ‘Unmask! Unmask!’, in retrospect.

• Like 2

I think I have solved a big piece of the mystery. While re-listening and re-reading the stories I noticed that one of the later stories about Sonnia and Cherufee from Breachside broadcast had the artist name listed as "the Breachside broadcast" rather then just "Breachside broadcast" like all the other stories. And this meant that my phone sorted that story differently and I missed it the first time. After listening to that, things made a whole lot more sense.

And thanks for the tip on the "Unmask! Unmask!" story. It was really interesting.

• Like 2