How to expand Lady J starter

longfanz

Hi,

I'm new to the game and I think I'll play Guild. I've read about best masters to start with and what to buy first and I'll pick Lady J. Then thing is I have to spend about $100 to get free shipping to my country so I am "forced" to buy some more models. I want to buy everything needed to play for some time. The only master I don't like is McMourning (I don't like Perdita either but I've read that buying this box as well could be a good investment...)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

Perditas box is good. Death marshal recruiters are good for LJ. The brutal effigy is really good. Jury is good. Nellie's box has good models (reporters and Phiona). You probably want some cheap models like guild hounds/guild guard/reporters. Not sure how much that is.

• Thanks 1

(0)Welcome to Malifaux and the Guild office.

Yes the Lady Justice is a straight forward while, especially with the new upgrades, still powerful master to start the game. She can have a lot job done, as long as you can provider her the support she needed.

Francisco is the most important model for the Lady that always describe as auto include since he can buff her defense status to help her alive . However Francisco only come with the Perdita's crew box, so you may have to purchase another box or have other way to get a single Francisco model.

Brutal Effigy is the second thing you would like to have. This little guy can as well help the Lady stand in the field and gain extra card. If you are purchasing Perdita's box then she will love the effigy too.

Beside this I would say other things are optional. You may purchase the above list and have some games first before you are buying more. 

----------

A bit off topic here. I was always curious why we do not have master specified tactics thread like other faction forum has. I myself have not enough experience to write such thread so I can only wait and hope for someone else... 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rufess said:

A bit off topic here. I was always curious why we do not have master specified tactics thread like other faction forum has. I myself have not enough experience to write such thread so I can only wait and hope for someone else... 

Because the game is more fun without them.

• Like 1

IMO:

I'd also say the Brutal Effigy, he is a must take with Lady J. #1 priority. Also as an aside never leave home without the Lady J Swordfighter upgrade.

For other models you probably want more minions to bulk out your forces to get to 50 soulstones with some options. I would go with Guild Hounds, Guild Guards, Field Reporters or Guild Austringers. All of these models fit into many Guild builds and give good, cheap activation. Pick up 1 or 2 options from this list.

Lastly if you have $$ spare go for an extra beater to take the heat from Lady J. Peacekeeper is great, and I'm also very partial to Executioners or Witchling Thralls.

• Like 1

Brutal Effigy, Death Marshal Recruiters, and a Peacekeeper will take you over the 100$.  If you are going to expand, hold off on getting Field Reporters until you're ready to buy the Nellie box.  There are special sales during the year when you can order an individual Francisco, otherwise you'll have to get the Perdita box (not a terrible idea).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Just buy 16 gg.  Play 16 gg with LJ.  Rinse repeat.:D

Do you mean 16x Guild Guard? Hmm, in a 50 soulstone (ss) game, my maths says someone can only take 14. ;)

@longfanz I think @4thstringer is having a little joke, I don't think either 14 or 16 Guild Guard is a serious suggestion. :P

19 hours ago, Rufess said:

Francisco is the most important model for the Lady that always describe as auto include since he can buff her defense status to help her alive . However Francisco only come with the Perdita's crew box, so you may have to purchase another box or have other way to get a single Francisco model.

@Rufess gave good advice, @longfanz. If you want Francisco but don't want the whole Latigo Posse Perdita Ortega box, you can sometimes find individual models from the box for sale by third parties (e.g. eBay or the trading forum on this or other wargaming miniatures websites). He's currently available on his own for $13 USD from a particular website I've found (Private Message [PM] me if you want the link). If you know another Malifaux gamer who wants to run Jack Daw or Zoraida, they might be interested in splitting the cost of the Perdita box with you so that they can keep Papa Loco?

Your English is great, by the way!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scatterbrain said:
22 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Do you mean 16x Guild Guard? Hmm, in a 50 soulstone (ss) game, my maths says someone can only take 14. ;)

@longfanz I think @4thstringer is having a little joke, I don't think either 14 or 16 Guild Guard is a serious suggestion. :P

16*3 + 2 for sword fighter =50

It's only semi serious.  I think for what he wants I would suggest something else.  I would suggest proxying it for a game or two.  I've written elsewhere about it.

20 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

16*3 + 2 for sword fighter =50

It's only semi serious.  I think for what he wants I would suggest something else.  I would suggest proxying it for a game or two.  I've written elsewhere about it.

Oh dang. :huh:I stand corrected... on two counts. :huh::huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! Another guild newbie here ^^.

I tend to run LJ with Master Queeg and Alison Dade. Queeg provides LJ extra mobility in addition to the promises upgrade that, as it been said, is really nasty with her.  Alison can punish enemy models that perform attack actions near her and also can help LJ survivability healing her. I have nice results with this combination in casual games with a couple of friends.   

If you have the opportunity, pick the brutal effigy, which is useful with almost any guild master.