Pantoporos Aporos' Puppet Wars bling thread

Since I'm about to start painting, modifying, and otherwise customizing my copy of Puppet Wars: Unstitched, I figured I'd start a "master thread" and keep my nonsense contained :P.

To start things off, here's a foam insert I put together (or rather, pulled apart) last night: 

20180228_132436-01.thumb.jpg.62cda0bfdd03ce23f2f5b533c3882fed.jpg

It's a 2" Game Plus+ pluck foam tray, measuring 7.5" x 13".  It fits the box nearly perfectly, and by using some of the blocks of foam I plucked out I was able to make more protected spaces for extra miniatures (see the top side of the box in the photo).  As it is, the box holds all 44 Unstitched miniatures, as well as the metal "multiplayer" expansion.  When the 3 metal Pawn Booster packs arrive I'll have to figure out more storage space, but for now this is pretty good. The only drawback is that 2" is a bit too tall for the unstitched box, and the lid does not close all the way. I can live with that, though, especially if it means not worrying about the taller puppets (like Pokey Vik and the Cherubs) getting damaged.

Anyway, not bad for an $8 foam tray! 

--PA

• Like 2

Got my Pawn booster packs today, and set out to make a storage solution to the new-to-unstitched puppets that come in each booster.  I managed to make something pretty serviceable out of an old cigar box and left-over foam pieces from the unstitched box and the Game Plus foam tray:

20180302_181000.thumb.jpg.c26760327d6818d0066757ec15515cb9.jpg

Unfortunately, my new old stock Pawns #1 booster was mispacked, and had a Silurid and an extra Bad Juju instead of a Sorrows and a Moleman:

20180302_173348_Burst01-01.thumb.jpg.5700bb4b45e7502263e7f6740714843e.jpg

I suppose it's good news if you want to play with Pandora, but I was really looking forward to the Moleman.  Also, I noticed that in the original PW, Bad Juju had no suit requirement for his activation... I wonder why they decided to add a :mask requirement in the PWU playtest cards?

Anyway, I sent Wyrd a customer service request, but saw that they no longer support metal miniatures. It's understandable, as these miniatures have been out of print for such a long time now, but I'm hoping that Wyrd are still able to sort this out somehow.  We'll see. If the worst comes to worst, I'll just try to sculpt something akin to the missing puppets with Green Stuff and whatever extra puppets seem closest to the job.  But that wouldn't happen for a long time. First, I'll paint the ready-to-play puppets. All 63 or so of them!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the bad news is that Wyrd is out of metal puppets, so I'm really out a Sorrows and a Moleman. Oh well, I'll figure that out later.

In the meantime, I've painted an Ice Golem:

BU5gVT3.jpg

2DzMGb7.jpg

It looks a bit better in person, but either way I'm happy with it! It turned out a bit bluer than I hoped, but ended up a good match to the card's artwork.

Hopefully I'll post some other painted minis in the next few weeks. And as soon as my laser cut wood hexagons arrive from China, I'll get started on my custom board (and terrain).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of days work (most of it spent waiting for the wood glue or Tung oil to dry), I have a homemade Puppet Wars board:

qklzZSq.jpg

The hexagons measure 2" across, making the board a bit bigger than the original, and the plain wood (and burned edges) make it easier to read than the (admittedly beautiful) unstitched board.

The board comes apart into smaller chunks, which will hopefully make it easy to store:

m5aEqWD.jpg

Next up I'll add rubber bumpers to the bottom of each hexagon, to keep them from sliding around my glass table, and will work out a storage solution.

And in the meantime, I've started painting some of the minutes. These Wyrd plastics are so detailed... Really fun to paint!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Brass Monkey said:

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Looking awesome so far. What are you planning for 'terrain'? I've seen cotton reels used before which looks very effective.

I was originally planning on making some furniture out of balsa wood (or whatever else I happen to have around the house), but ran across GrabbleCast on etsy, found their website (https://www.grabblecast.ru/) and blew through my monthly hobby budget by ordering a few things. I'll post some pics when they come in!

Got to play on the new board tonight, and really liked it. It really is much easier to read than the original PWU board, and the tokens for obstacles and benches stand out nicely. 

h27oNYz.jpg

Also got to play Lucius vs Collette (using a metal Malifaux Lucius and a metal Coryphee as proxies). Neither wowed us, but it's an interesting change...

For what it's worth, the green and purple translucent bases from Wyrd are perfect matches for the green and purple bench tokens in PWU. And a little poster tack keeps the PWU bases nicely nested in the bigger 30mm bases for as long as you need. Thanks to whomever gave me that tip!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just got my scatter terrain order from Grabblecast -- workbenches out front, and the rest are terrain pieces:

ebj6bjq.jpg

I think it matches the "Zoraida's Hut" theme well, and they should work well as scatter terrain in Malifaux (my partner and I are making our way through the starter set's encounters, and really liking it).

Next up I'll do some zenith-lighting priming, which should buy me some time before I have to properly paint them.

• Like 1

I really like the modular board design.  I too put some thought into various customization's for PWU and wanted to share here as it may give rise to some ideas or possibilities you may want to implement.  One of the customization's I found to be most useful was that of using magnetized interchangeable bases.  The models are all based on wood that has been stained to bring out the grain, then adhesive magnets were applied to the bottom and again to the top of the 30mm colored bases.  Was a little concerned at first with stability and the bases falling off, but it far exceeded my expectations and works great.  For terrain pieces I used various puppet wars type items put together onto 50mm bases, really like that it kept me from having to paint...lol.  The board itself is a mat made by Mats From Mars with a floorboard print and they were nice enough to add the correct size hexes free of charge.  The mat itself is 2' x 2' which allows for some freedom in board layout, just keep in mind that if you use to much space the game can end up being to much about movement with not enough action.  Anyway thought I might share.

Cheers!  

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

If you want something a bit more substantial then either laminate them after printing (a great solution as it makes them dry erasable) or print them on label paper and attach them to some card stock.

If you are looking for something a bit more eye catching you might be able to print them on cloth, though this might be substantially more expensive.

4 hours ago, kaintxu said:

Ha e you found a nice method to print brass monkeys stat cards that is not paper?

Do you mean something other than just printing them on card stock?

Most inkjet or laser jet printers should the heavier paper just fine.  I've just used regular matt yardstick paper, but I know you can get glossy cardstock as well if you want.