Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Franchute

@mrcoblin Very solid work. Your highlighting and shading give a natural look to the models. It's not too contrasty, but still plenty defined on the tabletop. I like your color choices too. Basing looks fine to me. One suggestion, if I may: I think both models would benefit from more consistent darklining. You're getting there with the choker and shoulder straps on the first model and the boots & shoulder straps on the second model. I'd like to see that definition between skin and garment carry over to the armbands and other transition areas.

@Phinn Good luck with your thesis!  Is it for your master's or your doctorate?

@H4ml3t thank you very much! I'm definitely proud of these two, I think they're among my best yet. 

@misterfinn thank you, and I appreciate your suggestions. I did try going over and darklining both models, maybe I should try going a little darker or at least another layer or two? Definitely something I'll need to practice more I think. 

47 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

Good luck with your thesis!  Is it for your master's or your doctorate?

Thank you :)
It's neither, I might have been using the word thesis wrong this whole time :DOh boy, here comes the language barrier :D It's like a thesis but shorter - 30-40 pages plus the necessities. I am writing about Microbiological Diagnostics in Patiens with Cystic Fibrosis. I am studying to become a certified laboratory assistant (I believe is the right term) in a microbiological laboratory in the hospital - a support model basically :D

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Phinn said:

Thank you :)
It's neither, I might have been using the word thesis wrong this whole time :DOh boy, here comes the language barrier :D It's like a thesis but shorter - 30-40 pages plus the necessities. I am writing about Microbiological Diagnostics in Patiens with Cystic Fibrosis. I am studying to become a certified laboratory assistant (I believe is the right term) in a microbiological laboratory in the hospital - a support model basically :D

I guess you used the correct wording. It is common to see 40 pages thesis, at least in economics as far as I can say. Good luck with it!

On my side, I've faced two types of difficulties this month:

i) it's been a busy month for me. It's the begining of the academic year in Chile. This makes my work load heavier and my life as a father more demanding.

ii) I realized I didnt have the green stuff to fill the gaps of my cerberus!

So, I started painting a necropunk in the mean time, but I havent finished him yet. I will certainly upload pictures of him once it is done. It is very likely though that I'll show no finished cerberus by the end of the month. I'll also have to pick up a model that I had already started and finish it so that I wont have to use my first mulligan.

I haven't commented much on everybody's work either because of time constraint, but, as always, I have been amazed by several of the things I've seen in this group. I hope to see more of it!

By the way @bedjy how did you do the cream colour on your Misaki? I like it a lot.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, mrcoblin said:

I don't love the basing, but I am pretty happy with the paint job. What do you guys think?

First one is superb. May be because of a more lucky shot..... I suggest you to post more photos of the second models, or may be of the two models.

Congrats for your painting achivements.

@Treehouse I had my concerns about the hair color of the second one. I did have a thought to change it completely, but the desire to just finish the project beat the desire to change the hair color. I agree that it does not quite fit, and that it does create a harsh contrast, but I think overall I like it. If nothing else, it can serve as a learning experience in color theory!

@Purple Mist thank you! The second one I found really hard to get a good picture of, because she is leaning so far. Regardless of the photo, I would agree the first one does look better. Here are a few other shots for comparison.

0319181731b.jpg0318182124d.jpg

• Like 9

Alt Bishop here brings me to 15ss so far for March. I started with black primer and did nothing other than building up layers of color and using some washes/glazes so this is a first for me. (No dry brushing at all) I tried to not paint to the edges of the surfaces to achieve a black-lining effect which worked better in some areas than others. I made some mistakes along the way, learned a lot and I'm pretty happy with the end result.

IMG_20180319_204745985.jpg

IMG_20180319_204811286.jpg

• Like 8

Some OSL WIP:

IMG_2486.jpg.d13777657e93e4fe22c777fc9e279b43.jpg

The blobby bits around the elbow/forearm area are actually teal flames. They stick straight out from the coffin toward the viewer so they're difficult to capture in the photo. Any comments on the work so far? In particular, I'm looking for places where the illusion breaks down - is the light source itself bright enough, is the light dispersion too tight or too broad, is the color fade/opacity right or is the coloring too dramatic, does the shadowing look accurate...that kind of thing. Be as nit-picky as you want. :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, misterfinn said:

Any comments on the work so far? 

I love the contrasts you introduced. I guess they are important to really give the impression of light. But I'm wonedring if you should maybe make the rest of the coffin a bit darker. There seems to be more light at the bottom of the coffin than on the hand. You see what I mean? What is your opinion?

Anyway, as always, I love your work, and your OSL is definitely better than the ones on my pictures :) I'm just trying to make a constructive comment here

20 hours ago, mrcoblin said:

Regardless of the photo, I would agree the first one does look better.

Guess because of hair colours you used. Anyway you have good reasons for beeing proud of both your models.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, misterfinn said:

Any comments on the work so far?

I think the OSL looks great! My only suggestion would be to make the coffin darker. The light source is very well done, but does not appear much brighter than what it is shining on. I think it would pop more against a darker coffin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ishkul said:

@Franchute I did not, I would like to join if its possible, I dont know if I will have time to paint every month tho. 

Please do it in the required thread. You should find a link at the beginning of this thread. I'd need to know your pledge category and tell me please how many soulstones you've painted so far this month

...and here's my Mid-March Update!

I've all but finished the mindless zombie as my promised pledge, but I can't upload images!

I keep getting a message that says I can only upload 40.96kb, which is, what? Eight pixels?

@bedjy: Love the wrastlers, and really love the cream Misaki.

@mrcoblin: I think those Ice Dancers are fantastic. I quite like the hair-colour-contrast!

Best of luck to all for the rest of the month!

• Thanks 1

And done! That's 5 more ss for this month (7ss total). The poison gamin ended up a bit too dark, but considering it has three different effects I'm not comfortable with I'm happy with the results (that and I can't be bothered to try and fix it).

March_Gamin_Finished_Edited.jpg

Also I tried a new backdrop, which seems to be working quite nicely, so here's a new picture of the Eternal Flame.

Flame_Grey_Backdrop_Edited.jpg

EDIT: The pictures are working again!

Edited by Amdor
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Caedrus said:

...and here's my Mid-March Update! 

I've all but finished the mindless zombie as my promised pledge, but I can't upload images! 

I keep getting a message that says I can only upload 40.96kb, which is, what? Eight pixels?

@bedjy: Love the wrastlers, and really love the cream Misaki.

@mrcoblin: I think those Ice Dancers are fantastic. I quite like the hair-colour-contrast!

Best of luck to all for the rest of the month!

I'm running into the same issue.  Not sure if there's a limit per thread or overall, but it seems we've hit it.

9 minutes ago, Treemonkey said:

I'm running into the same issue.  Not sure if there's a limit per thread or overall, but it seems we've hit it.

You have access to external hosts for your pics :)
If you right clic on most of the pics on this section, you'll find the websites they are hosted on.
Imgur, imgbb ...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bedjy said:

You have access to external hosts for your pics :)
If you right clic on most of the pics on this section, you'll find the websites they are hosted on.
Imgur, imgbb ...

Sure, but the in-forum option is so much easier... ;)