Is WP Opposed Duel on Unbury counts as an Attack Action?

CasHTusK

Question

Rules for Unbury for actions like "Pine Box" or "Into The Furnace" force an Opposed WP Duel on this Model Activation:

Guild+14.jpg?format=1500w

Let's say Marshal have some Mimic in his Box.

Before Marshal activates, Lucius strikes the Marshal with his Sword Cane and Declares a "Governor's Authority" trigger which gives :-fate:-fate to Marshal's Attack Actions: 

Guild+28.jpg?format=1500w

When Marshal activates - will he suffer :-fate:-fate on opposed WP duel. Basically it's not an Action, but rules say if Action calls for Opposed Duel - than it's an attack action (p. 38 of rules-only rulebook)

I think Marshal wouldn't suffer :-fate:-fate because it's not an action, but I cannot identify what IS the right name for this opposed duel. 

Any thoughts?

8 answers to this question

When the Death Marshal performs the Pine Box attack, the "attack flip" is the Ca 5:crowvs TN 10:crowand resisted by Wp flip.  That's an opposed duel because it's Ca vs. Wp.

The Wp vs. Wp duel to Unbury isn't an Attack duel.  It is an opposed duel.

By coincidence, the duel to Unbury doesn't happen during resolution of the Attack action.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CasHTusK said:

When it should be resolved (let's say we have some dudes around marshal who can kill him or heal him depending on when he resolves opposed duel)

You resolve it when it says it's resolved. "At the beginning of this model's Activation". That is first step of Activation resolution, see page 33 small rules booklet.

6 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

You resolve it when it says it's resolved. "At the beginning of this model's Activation". That is first step of Activation resolution, see page 33 small rules booklet.

I rephrase. Is this opposed duel - Acting Model Ability? (or not?) Can player choose to resolve this duel after any other abilities of the model? (I hope this will never be important during play)

Page 51:

1. The Acting Model resolves its Abilities.
2. The Defending Model (if there is one) resolves its Abilities.
3. Any other models controlled by the First Player resolves all of
their Ability effects in any order the First Player chooses

4. Any other models controlled by the Second Player resolves
all of their Ability effects in any order the Second Player
chooses.

I wouldn't say it's an Ability, since Abilities are front-of-card things (see literally front of any model card with the bolded ABILITIES on it). I'd probably call it a game effect if I had to.

Do you have a specific model in mind that makes you so worried about this? Because right now I'm not aware of any interaction where this would be relevant.

24 minutes ago, CasHTusK said:

I rephrase. Is this opposed duel - Acting Model Ability? (or not?) Can player choose to resolve this duel after any other abilities of the model? (I hope this will never be important during play)

Page 51:

chooses.

Very important fact is that General Timing is poorly phrased.  It just mentions Abilities, when the various effects that need to be resolved during the game can be Abilities, Conditions, Triggers, and just unnamed effects from Actions.

Essentially, everything that isn't a Trigger is equal and General Timing should have used some generic term to refer to "Abilities, Condition, and other non-Trigger effects" wherever it say "Ability".

6 hours ago, CasHTusK said:

Page 51:

chooses.

I am not aware of any ability that would aomehow change how this duel is taken that is also timed to the start of the activation.

If the death marshal resolves this duel first but then dies to fears given form or something you still get to unbury so it seems unimportant except you will need to decide if you want to try and cheat to get out beforeyou know if thedeath marshal takes fgf damage. Any boosts from guild such as makingthe Death marshal wp 8 or 9 will always be active in the aura so they will apply anyway.

The model isn't making an attack or resolving an action.