Starting Guild, Picking a Master

TheEmptyRoad

So before I do a test run of some Guild Masters at my FLGS tomorrow I’d like the Bureaucracy’s take on it. 

The ones I’m looking at are:

Lady J, Hoffman, and Sonnia 

Some models I’ve bought already just to have some extras that I like the look of and how they work: 

Sue, Exorcists, Sanctioned Spellcasters, Allison Dade, and the Brutal Emissary.

Thanks in advance :)

C. Hoffman makes good financial and pragmatic sense if you really like constructs and have an aim to eventually play an additional faction or two, especially Ramos from the Arcanists and Leveticus from the Outcasts. Arcanist constructs (such as those from Ramos' crew box) can be played in Guild by Hoffman with purchase of the necessary upgrade. Leveticus can use constructs from any faction.

Activate Dade. Place Dade behind emissary, with clump of enemies within 4” of emissary. Shoot all the enemies. Heal all the wounds.

Sanctioned spellcasters are something I use against factions, not with masters. When I suspect incorporeal, out come the cheap Ca spammers. The space within aura3 of Hoffman is already too crowded to squeeze a sanctioned in there also.

I’m told Sue is good clean fun no matter the master.

I have had exorcist fun, but with McMourning and his plastic surgery upgrade. Might need to try that again, with the re-costing of lead lined coat.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! Good to know a couple things I bought have synergy already :)

I won't be using all my extras with my starter of course, just some tools for the future. Don't know if I want to go completely Construct. Though my eventual second faction will likely be 10 Thunders, starting with Mei Feng using her constructs so...hrmmm. More to ponder.

They all want Brutal effigy. Lady Justice needs the healing. Sonnia collects the cards. Hoffman likes the sturdy little cheap little adorable little construct for emergency scheme running (his watcher is our classic runner, but sometimes Df4 just won’t do) and occasional bouts of nerd rage. And you have the emissary, so if classic support Hoffman (or Lucius) makes your head hurt, nerd raging on a 7 positive flip attack is as easy as activating near the guardian and emissary.

...my meta is graced with someone who really likes beater masters, alright?! Nellie’s utter lack of a close combat attack is the only thing standing between him and making a beater of literally every Guild master. Don’t fall into the trap of believing it must be the Lady Justice, if you want to smash face.

...Much cooler to armor up a giant stompybot and have it do the beating for you, if you ask me.

• Like 1

I started with Hoffman. I admit it’s a lot to think about, but it can be done. You will have it easier because you have one giant stompybot from outside his box already (the emissary). Just lavish love and the armor upgrade and the good cards in hand on that, and tag along after it, and don’t choose to think too much about the other stompybots until they meet the enemy and need help. Maybe give the watcher bot the interact upgrade on the first turn, but after that let it fly away solo.

Sonnia wants to think about whether she wants to bother to put burning on lots of enemies for Samael to shoot, or just to kill them, and usually just kills them. She will take all your good cards for herself.

Lady Justice wants low cards to discard for Swordfighter upgrade (and you ALWAYS WANT that upgrade) and wants to think about whether the enemies nearby hit Df (she is very safe) or Wp or Wk (she is not safe). I don’t play her and don’t know what she likes to target or why. Sometimes she kills two weak pieces. Sometimes she kills one big important piece. I don’t know why. Cards in hand?

Not looking for a particularly smash-face just to smash face Master. I like force multipliers and Masters that actively buff and get buffed by their troops. 

So if Lady J, give her Last Stand. 

I also like the fact that he Guild’s Forces are very interchangeable, they all work as a unit with plenty of overlap - the best examples of course being the various types of Guild Guard and their accompanying Constructs. 

Ended up choosing Sonnia, even though I still got my clock cleaned using her, the other guy used the Seamus starter against my Sonnia starter. He however, has been playing for years. Reconnoiter with Schemes like Vendetta, Bodyguard, and kill the Protege - very killy. 

Gonna do a slow burn (hehe, get it?) with Sonnia, maaaybe pick up a box of Witchling stalkers for summoning in addition to starter box ones and just building the rest of my models I should be good. 

If anyone has advice for Sonnia specifically, I’d love to hear it. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheEmptyRoad said:

Ended up choosing Sonnia, even though I still got my clock cleaned using her, the other guy used the Seamus starter against my Sonnia starter. He however, has been playing for years. Reconnoiter with Schemes like Vendetta, Bodyguard, and kill the Protege - very killy. 

Gonna do a slow burn (hehe, get it?) with Sonnia, maaaybe pick up a box of Witchling stalkers for summoning in addition to starter box ones and just building the rest of my models I should be good. 

If anyone has advice for Sonnia specifically, I’d love to hear it. :)

Quick advice- don't focus on summoning quite yet.

Seconding 4thstringer. You get by very well by starting a stalker or two and not summoning more. Even with the upgrade and starting two stalkers I often get by with three since they tend to die fast so you can just summon the occasional one to replace losses.

A popular playstyle is buffing her defenses with Francisco and making her blast more easily with Papa Loco. The rest of the crew can be picked to be mostly self-reliant models.

The brutal effigy is also very nice for her since she tends to do a lot of killing and it is a very decent scheme runner. 

• Like 1

I will third the 'wait on the heavy summoning'. It's a bit of a trap. 

Even when I run Reincarnation Sonnia, I've never needed a fourth stalker. On top of the fact that the new Cherufe's Parting Gift lets you bring the totem back over and over, I'd rather summon that. It works as a great target for Sonnia to shoot as a platform to get off blasts.  Run it up to something where Sonnia can still see it, Sonnia shoots it (the totem), gets three blasts (because you control ALL the flips) then (if the thing next to the totem doesn't die in the first blast) the totem explodes and puts burning on the thing you placed it next to. Now Sonnia can shoot the burning thing, hopefully kill it, get more blasts, AND you can bring the totem right back to rinse and repeat.  Usually you've done 3 damage in the first blast, then (hopefully) 3 to 5 in the second, and it has at least burning 2. So that thing will die, it will die with burning (either during the turn or in upkeep, which you can still summon stalkers or the totem during upkeep if the thing dies FROM burning).  

You also can't summon the totem AND a stalker off the burning victim, and the way I play Sonnia I'd rather have the totem (and it costs no resources to summon, as long as something died with burning, you can have it - ANYWHERE on the board, without line of sight as well). The really fun thing to do is burn up something small that's near a master or henchmen and watch them twitch when they realize that the totem being there makes it so they can't use soulstones anymore! muhahah! 

There's also the 'within 10' ' requirement for the stalkers... when Sonnia has range 14'. This may not sound like a big deal, just move her up to within 10', but that usually means needing a lot of crew support to move her up, and the further up you move her, the more likely some melee beater model is going to be able to get at her, and then you'll be sad. 

Long story long, the extra box of stalkers could probably wait until you've run summoner Sonnia a bit to see how it works. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheEmptyRoad said:

ooooooo, ya know I was running Cherufe's Partin Gift in my game yesterday. Never thought to just shoot my own totem...

hehehe, More ideas...

Guild Rocks.

If the thought of shooting your own for fun and profit isn’t a constant in your toolkit, Lucius may not be for you. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TheEmptyRoad said:

Won't use him and the other dual-faction and scheme-y Guild Masters until I get the hang of our 'basic' ones. Sonnia, Perdita, and Lady J. ;)

Lucius, McCabe, McMourning, Nellie, and the Hoff all come with good models though, so I might get their starter packs soonish anyway.

The three damage dealing ladies don't really complement each other. Playing all of them is how you end up thinking guild is boring and one-dimensional. I'd say it's beyter to branch out into a support master sooner rather than later and use one damage mater and one support one depending on the pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

The three damage dealing ladies don't really complement each other. Playing all of them is how you end up thinking guild is boring and one-dimensional. I'd say it's beyter to branch out into a support master sooner rather than later and use one damage mater and one support one depending on the pool.

Just have to play Perdita as a Obeying/scheme marker removing tactician.

• Like 1

I'd say McMourning, Lucius, and Hoffman, although that's solely because they're the three Guild masters that interest me.

Lucius has a fondness for minions, and several of Hoffman's bots are also minions which give some synergy. It's also why I'm thinking of pairing Collodi and Lucius playing into Neverborn.

How's McMourning in a more support-y role vs. Scalpel-wielding Maniac beatstick? Just got my hands on a Dr. Dufrense and going to get an already assembled McMourning box, Orderlies and such from starter set, Death Marshals, DM Recruiters, and a few other odd and ends. Guy going near-pure TT is getting rid of excess Guild.

Also, Second game w/Sonnia: ALL THE FIRE. THINGS DIED, WITCHLING STALKERS ROSE FROM THE ASHES. LIFE IS GOOD.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheEmptyRoad said:

How's McMourning in a more support-y role vs. Scalpel-wielding Maniac beatstick? Just got my hands on a Dr. Dufrense and going to get an already assembled McMourning box, Orderlies and such from starter set, Death Marshals, DM Recruiters, and a few other odd and ends. Guy going near-pure TT is getting rid of excess Guild.

Also, Second game w/Sonnia: ALL THE FIRE. THINGS DIED, WITCHLING STALKERS ROSE FROM THE ASHES. LIFE IS GOOD.

Supporty McMorning tends to hand out precise to big beat sticks (Executioner, Peacekeeper that kind of thing). 

I have ran a Supporty beatstick list revolving around turning enemies undead and then punishing them for it. So its McM with Skin Graft, Exorcists for their banish trigger, and the Judge for his anti undead Cast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exorcists?  Did someone figure out how to make them work?  Symbols of Office only has a 1" range and needs a crow, which competes with the executioner for his Bloody Exhibition trigger.  If I have only one high crow in hand I know who's going to get it!

Has that list worked well for you I'm_open?

We need another model like the Jury who hands out crows instead of masks!  An Inquisitor General maybe.