Hard Counters

Bazlord_Prime

Chums!

Was just wondering, what models do we have access to, that function as hard counters against the stereotypical traits of different Factions?

I saw mentioned in a different thread that Aionus, Anna Lovelace, Hannah & Sue are all good counters against Arcanists. And from within Gremlins, I guess McTavish is good to Gator Snack on scrap markers, Sparks can use up Scrap Markers, and Lightning Bugs & Banjonistas ignore Armour.

What else?

Swine with Wong ignore armor too.

Survivors are cheap tar pits, not such a hard counter, but I get a couple turns out of them fighting something twice their stones due to htk.  Also pair nice with Burt and slippery.

Zipp gets around defensive triggers

Fingers has chatty and don't mind me

Trix helps get initiative, which seems more and more like a tough contest without her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

I've found The First Mate to be incredibly effective at removing enemy scheme markers, with his "Where the Captain Can't See" upgrade.

Throw in Treasure Map and it can become a little silly at times. 

I forgot about this, I once took him against collette and he had armour 13 by the end of the game. In the right pools he’s STUPID good, you just have to be conservative with him at the start as until he’s eaten a couple scheme markers he’s a bit weak

Good counters for Rezzers might be Moon Shinobi, especially with Brewy or Zoraida, as Brewy could Swill them, and with Zoraida a Nurse could give them Armour +2 AND a :-fate to Duels.

Taelor is also available against Rezzers, but I always have issues keeping her alive. She's a bit of a target.

So what else is good against Rezzers? Anything with Ca attacks, I guess, plus Swine Cursed & Wong's "Magical" target, of course.

What about against Neverborn? I'm not really sure what the Neverborn bring that needs to be countered...

7 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Somer's hat is really cruel against Summoners (and others who rely on hitting high suited TNs but Summoners are by far the most common).

Zipp is brutal against Neverborn as he ignores all their defensive tech, basically, and they are squishy and dislike being thrown around.

Except, possibly, Titania. Although she no doubt hates being out of place though, so at the very least throwing her around is a great thing.

• Like 1

Zipp is obviously a good choice then, to counter various things. So if you don't know who your opponent is going to be running, he's probably a very good, flexible take-on-all-comers kind of Master.

What about Henchmen, Enforcers and below? If you're dedicated to running a Master that isn't Zipp, what other sorts of models have particular utility against the usual sorts of things that certain factions are known for?

For instance, The Guild. Known for their Armor, and their ranged weapons. Probably not a lot you can do against ranged weapons per se, unless you count the cover-generating abilities of McTavish and the Bushwhackers. Armor denial, we can take Lightning Bugs, Banjonistas, Aionus, and - as @Sol_Sorrowsong mentioned - Swine Cursed.

So, what are the things we're stereotypically likely to face in each Faction, and which Gremlin/Merc models have obvious strengths against those things:
Arcanists: Armor_Casting_Burning                                                 - Lightning Bugs, Banjonistas, Swine Cursed, Aionus, Strongarm Suit_McTavish, Hannah, Sue, Aionus_Lenny, Mud Toss, BBB.
Gremlins: Reckless_High Activations_Slow_Poison                 - Anything that can deal slow_Cheap models_Mud Toss, Lenny_Mud Toss, Lenny, Akaname.
Guild: Armor_Shooting                                                                          - as above_McTavish, Bushwhackers.
Outcasts: ummm...anything & everything?                                  - ummm...
Resurrectionists: HtW/ItW_HtK_Summoning_Incorporeal    - Moon Shinobi_Swine Cursed_Bayou Gremlins, Taxidermist, Taelor_Lightning Bugs, Aionus.
Neverborn: Df tech_Melee_Black Blood_Terror Checks           - Moon Shinobi, Bishop_anything shooty?_Lenny, Sue.
Ten Thunders: ummm...anything & everything MkII?              - yep...

First, I must say your formatting is really strange.

More on point though, I don't think they're is too much point in trying to pigeonhole models into specific counters for other models since this game doesn't play that way.  The interactions of a crew together lead towards how you play much more than how something is countered exactly.  To a small degree, it's nice to know what models ignore armor or remove conditions or reckless. Yet, it's important to remember just how much the schemes and strategy matters and, for all newer players reading this, how building a crew to complete those schemes will suit you better than trying to counter pick the opponent. (@Bazlord_prime I'm not saying you're talking about counter picking exclusively, I'm just trying to put perspective on importance of each, in my opinion).

• Like 1