Facing Hoffman

Cedar

Hello all! Recently I was talking to a friend of mine about facing Hoffman while playing Gremlins and we both couldn't find any good master to face him now. Before wave 5 Wong was obvious pick, since Glowy Tavish plus two Swinecursed were more than enough to kill armored robots but now Improved Harness negates traditional counters. I don't have much experience playing Bayou inhabitants so I'm asking you - what master/models would you take against Hoffman? 

Fantastic question! Even though ignoring armour is out of the question now, constructs weaknesses of having a low df, a below average wd count and lower speed is still exploitable.

For Hoffman I would play a dread pirate zipp list or a summoning somer list with the main idea being a death by 1,000 cuts! Take somer if you just want them dead or take zipp if you want to exploit their limited movement. 

If you don’t have either master play brewmaster and do brewmaster things. Mah, Zoraida and Ophelia all prefer more elite crews and armour is good against moderate-heavy hits which the crews deal out. Oh, and Wong and Ulix are fine

As someone who plays both, Zipp would be annoying but there are ways to reposition Hoffman without constructs near by. I would actually suggest either Zoraida to obey the big boys to hit each other or Hoffman or Brewie. Dropping Swill on to Hoffman will shut him down more effectively than Zipp will. Also Binge is a massive threat as none of the options are good for Hoffman to take.

Hoff's totem can completely shut off Brewies aura by just existing and can remove conditions from Hoffman (takes a bit more effort). It's not impossible to take out but usually trails along after Hoffman so when he is in your face it could be relatively safe but close enough to pop in and say hi.

The biggest meanest construct usually has the upgrade to be immune to enemy conditions and ignore obeys by dropping a card.

4 hours ago, daniello_s said:

Trixie pushing away enemy models sounds interesting too. 

Trixiebelle is not nearly as helpful as you might think. Picture a triangle of two 50mm base stompybots with a Cg - Hoffman standing just an inch or so behind them. Trixiebelle’s ‘lure’ vectors are shockingly limited. She can’t shift him (note to self: install reverse gear on walking frame. consult with Aionus re: possibility of having had it installed yesterday), and many other angles are blocked by the mutually close large bases.

Zipp is a yammering blue streak of irritation, though. Give us our construct buffer back, you noisy little hijacker! :angry:

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Hoff's totem can completely shut off Brewies aura by just existing and can remove conditions from Hoffman (takes a bit more effort). It's not impossible to take out but usually trails along after Hoffman so when he is in your face it could be relatively safe but close enough to pop in and say hi.

The biggest meanest construct usually has the upgrade to be immune to enemy conditions and ignore obeys by dropping a card.

Brewies aura isn't why you are taking him into Hoffman. yes the attendant can remove Swill which means it usually becomes target number 1. However since Binge was changed to not apply conditions you can binge Hoffman as much as you like. The Hoffman player will then have a tough choice of what effect they are.going to be hit with and if you do it a few times it will not end well. 

As a Hoffman player cards are very valuable as you can use almost anything and you always want certain suits so being forced to discard cards due to Binge and also to prevent obeys on a model with Numb is not going to make the Hoffman player happy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PositronMike said:

Brewies aura isn't why you are taking him into Hoffman. yes the attendant can remove Swill which means it usually becomes target number 1. However since Binge was changed to not apply conditions you can binge Hoffman as much as you like. The Hoffman player will then have a tough choice of what effect they are.going to be hit with and if you do it a few times it will not end well. 

As a Hoffman player cards are very valuable as you can use almost anything and you always want certain suits so being forced to discard cards due to Binge and also to prevent obeys on a model with Numb is not going to make the Hoffman player happy. 

I've just gotta ask - Where does it state that Binge does not apply conditions? From what I can tell it can apply Paralyzed, which would be a condition.

29 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

I've just gotta ask - Where does it state that Binge does not apply conditions? From what I can tell it can apply Paralyzed, which would be a condition.

The original post is a little misleading. It used to be worded so that all the effects were conditions, but then was rewritten so that only the ones that were ongoing were conditions.

Brewmaster is a good thing in our meta;) just win the initiative and swill all your shinobies;) they'll do the work;) and yep, it's still a chance of failing a flip with a Black joker, so there's Wesley with Brewies Binge and a bad mask on hand;) it's a pretty killie crew))) as for Fingers there's much more fun with a Big B's Aura (using b5 ups)... just don't give Hoff a chance to do his usual stuff!