The Slate Ridge Baller

Flippin' Wyrd George

So with the recent drop in stones I've been giving the Slate Ridge Mauler a bit of table time and am absolutely loving life with him. He'a not an auto include but with the Circus Bear upgrade he definitely pulls his weight now. 

In the ideal setup he can make a model Slow Ml7 and also have 3 attacks at 4/5/7 Ml6. He hard to kill and impossible to wound AND has a trigger on his melee to heal 2, easily keeping himself above hard to wound when he drops. Together with a Well Rehearsed model and some healing in the crew (Medical Automaton I'm looking at you) I'm finding the Mauler is pretty damn useful, and quite easy to keep in that sweet spot of 5 wds or below, but not on HTK.

In the thee games I've hired them they have chalked up a Seamus kill, a Nekima kill & an Old major kill plus a few enforcers and minions. 

He's no longer the laughing stock I once thought. Anyone else had any experience/success with him?

• Like 3

I used him a few times before the errata and I always though he did a decent job. I usually ended up getting to fire off some attacks after he was damaged using Myranda or Marcus and he’d usually get his healing trigger often enough that he had some staying power.

Both of his zero actions are great.

11 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

In the ideal setup he can make a model Slow Ml7 and also have 3 attacks at 4/5/7 Ml6. He hard to kill and impossible to wound AND has a trigger on his melee to heal 2, easily keeping himself above hard to wound when he drops. Together with a Well Rehearsed model and some healing in the crew (Medical Automaton I'm looking at you) I'm finding the Mauler is pretty damn useful, and quite easy to keep in that sweet spot of 5 wds or below, but not on HTK.

I don't understand this. His damagin attack is ml5 and the slowing one is ml6? What am I missing? Edit: Oh dear, the upgrade had an additional effect that the app didn't change on his actions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adran said:

My biggest problem was getting him to the damaged state. I hadn't come up with the well rehearsed plan, that helps him a lot. 

I dont think it is much of an issue getting him down to 5 wds. If he's not getting hit he's free to ravage your opponent with slow and potentially 3 melees at 2/4/5 and that's never bad. He'll eventuallyget hit, and not too hard because of the impossible to wound, then he can start laying the smack down.

He's certainly better than before.  If you just bring 1, good opponents will just push him away or slow him instead of attacking him. Bc before frenzied he's just min 2.  Need to keep him around Marcus so Marcus can shunt dmg onto him w Defend Me to get him down to his sweet spot.  The auto slow on Ml7 is good. 

There's a lot of talk on AWP on a SRM spam list, and in theory it sounds a lot better than hiring 1 or 2.  All the slows can have an exponentially larger impact on the game.  But I have a hard time w that one.  I've played a lot of recent games w the errated beasts (SRM, Cojo, Rattler) and one of the biggest problems are the base sizes.  So many large bases can really get in the way of what you are trying to do, especially on well-terrained boards.  Sure, you can use the mauler's (0) push, but then you arent using the slow attack unless you happen to have a high mask in hand. 

• Like 2