Which Masters do you avoid for each faction?

WWHSD

It seems like there are some masters that are best avoided when your opponent declares a particular faction.

What Arcanist masters do you avoid taking into a particular faction and why? This assumes that you know your opponent’s declared faction but not which master they are taking.

The couple that stick out to me are:

Kaeris and Outcasts: Most of the things in a Hamelin crew are going to be immune to the burning condition. Putting conditions on Sisters when playing Viks is going to heal all of the Sisters in play.

Ramos and Arcanists: Marcus can pretty much end the game if he gets an Alpha off on Ramos. Joss, Kang, Captain and a bunch of other Arcanist models wreck constructs.

Colette and Gremlins: Zipp more or less removes Colette at will. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Ironsides into Guild: Sonnia can blast harder and at a longer range than anything Ironsides brings to the table. Doesn't help that HPM requires you to group either

Isn’t Sonnia outranging your crew going to be an issue no matter what master you bring? I might be forgeting something but I think that 12 inches is the longest range attack that any Arcanist model has. Rasputina and Silent Ones can extend their range by using mirrors but that can be shutdown by engaging or killing the mirrors.

I would have thought that Ironsides run with Mages would have been okay against Sonnia since Ironsides and one of her Henchmen can put Sonnia on negative flips and are immune to conditions as long as they have the appropriate Mage in range and LoS.

I did kind of forget about HPM needing models to group up since I don’t usually plan around using it when I play Ironsides. It’s nice when it happens but I don’t typically damage my models or keep them close to Ironsides just to trigger it.

1 hour ago, Nikodemus said:

Does anyone here have any experience Marcus vs Marcus? When in my solo Marcus phases I always worry about that matchup. Haven't experienced it first hand yet myself. Could hurt if the opponent picks Domesticate and you go for beast heavy crew.

It's certainly amusing, if somewhat short.   I seem to remember alpha'ing the enemy Myranda to turn into a second Jackalope in the one M&M game I played.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, madaxeman said:

So, put another way, who do you take against Ressers?  Mei? 

Mei is fine but even bringing Sue in any crew is good vs Ressers.  That anti-cast aura is strong.  So IMO, almost any master is viable vs Ressers as long as you bring Sue. 

You could always bring Mei and Lazarus to have them both put up Vent Steam if you think you'll need it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingCrow said:

Mei is fine but even bringing Sue in any crew is good vs Ressers.  That anti-cast aura is strong.  So IMO, almost any master is viable vs Ressers as long as you bring Sue. 

You could always bring Mei and Lazarus to have them both put up Vent Steam if you think you'll need it. 

That'll be two models I don't own then !   How about Marcus and a load of undead animal things? Or horror-duel-resistant Raspy?

4 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Isn’t Sonnia outranging your crew going to be an issue no matter what master you bring? I might be forgeting something but I think that 12 inches is the longest range attack that any Arcanist model has. Rasputina and Silent Ones can extend their range by using mirrors but that can be shutdown by engaging or killing the mirrors.

I would have thought that Ironsides run with Mages would have been okay against Sonnia since Ironsides and one of her Henchmen can put Sonnia on negative flips and are immune to conditions as long as they have the appropriate Mage in range and LoS.

I did kind of forget about HPM needing models to group up since I don’t usually plan around using it when I play Ironsides. It’s nice when it happens but I don’t typically damage my models or keep them close to Ironsides just to trigger it.

Mages and all their reductions could be kind of annyoing for Sonnia and with HPM she doesn't want to leave three mages alive after her activation. She won't often be on negatives though, she'll be back to neutral since she gains a :+fate to attacks from their wp6. Edit: Nevermind me, all the henches are wp 5. :D 

8 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Mages and all their reductions could be kind of annyoing for Sonnia and with HPM she doesn't want to leave three mages alive after her activation. She won't often be on negatives though, she'll be back to neutral since she gains a :+fate to attacks from their wp6. Edit: Nevermind me, all the henches are wp 5. :D 

Amina is Wp7. Joss and Myranda are Wp6. The rest of the Arcanist Henchmen are Wp5 

All Arcanist Masters are Wp6.

• Thanks 1

What is giving her negatives in the first place? Warding Runes will strip suits from the cast and one of the wards will give the holder of Warding Runes positives to Df, which doesn't mean all that much if Sonnia is at Ca 9 with positives cause of Wp of her target.  Amina is causing them maybe, cover?

Throw in flame walls to break LoS after she is done so retaliating is difficult and I have had bad times every time I tried to bring an Ironsides crew into Sonnia, I am just too scared at this point to try again. I need to bring in those who can move a little quicker and a little more independently than I play Ironside crews. 

18 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I'd guess that the Mages would probably tend to be Sonnia's first target. They are Df5, Wp6, typically bunch up, and if you get rid of them then Warding Runes ends up just giving its bearer Counterspell. 

If Sonnia starts splashing Mages with blasts she also puts their controller in the position of deciding whether or not it's worth discarding a card from their hand to get the damage reduction from Temporary Shielding. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

What is giving her negatives in the first place? Warding Runes will strip suits from the cast and one of the wards will give the holder of Warding Runes positives to Df, which doesn't mean all that much if Sonnia is at Ca 9 with positives cause of Wp of her target.  

My bad. I thought Nemesis was :-fate flips to the attacker and not :+fate flips to the defender.

In all the games I've brought that upgrade I don't think I've ever had an enemy master attack a model with Warding Runes on it while Nemesis Ward was still an issue (either the Mage with it was dead or out of range/LoS).

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

In all the games I've brought that upgrade I don't think I've ever had an enemy master attack a model with Warding Runes on it while Nemesis Ward was still an issue (either the Mage with it was dead or out of range/LoS).

I think I've gotten to use that ability... once... maybe twice? For the same reasons as you listed :P 

6 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

What is giving her negatives in the first place? Warding Runes will strip suits from the cast and one of the wards will give the holder of Warding Runes positives to Df, which doesn't mean all that much if Sonnia is at Ca 9 with positives cause of Wp of her target.  Amina is causing them maybe?

Throw in flame walls to break LoS after she is done so retaliating is difficult and I have had bad times every time I tried to bring an Ironsides crew into Sonnia, I am just too scared at this point

But doesn't Sonnia essentially do that against every Arcanist master? At least Ironsides is probably going to get to ignore the Burning  and if Sonnia can't drop her in an activation there's a good chance that she'll be able to heal up from pounding on enemies.

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

But doesn't Sonnia essentially do that against every Arcanist master? At least Ironsides is probably going to get to ignore the Burning  and if Sonnia can't drop her in an activation there's a good chance that she'll be able to heal up from pounding on enemies.

Sandeep just places past her walls and kills her.

Ironsides is not going to win the game by herself, and the crews I take with her (i.e. bubbling and slow moving and overlapping auras starting with mages) get wiped off the board too quickly by Sonnia. Could be a sign I am just too restrictive in my crew selection for Ironsides because I am trying to make use of her abilities. But I do have more variety in other masters that can weather the attacks a bit better (due to reduction, spacing, speed, other Ca resisting abilities, etc...) because those are the crews that work with those masters for me.