Teddy bear puppet?

Rippula

Hello people who still read this. I recentlry started playing PWU, and found this forum with Brass Monkey's PDF of stat cards for the PW original models(thank you muchly sir!), but through my researching of the game on the internet, I keep coming across images of(and I believe a pic of a model for) a Teddy Bear puppet. Does a Stat card exist for this character for use in PWU?

Quote from TalkFantasyFootball.org:

"So, a little while ago Wyrd had a limited run of a box of five teddies for Puppet Wars. They each have different rule cards co-responding to their coloring."

It's been noted that they did release rules for these teddies.

There was a giveaway from Gencon 2014, Miss Ery that would also be great, is there was a PWU card created for it.

puppet-teddy-1.jpg

Teddy - Miss Ery 2014 - Assembled (1).JPG

As far as I know, the metal teddy models were just random additions to the booster boxes.  For instance, I've got two teddy models from three or four boxes that I found.

I don't recall seeing any stats for teddy models in the archived crew creator website.  But I wasn't around for the Unstitched beta so I don't know for certain.  

It would be nice to have one for the Teddies upgraded to PWU format(wink, wink - nudge,nudge Brass Monkey), since we could at least print Standees for the Teddies, and I think they would be a cool addition to the game. Also, I'd love to locate the info on what different colored teddies do?

1 hour ago, Rippula said:

It would be nice to have one for the Teddies upgraded to PWU format(wink, wink - nudge,nudge Brass Monkey), since we could at least print Standees for the Teddies, and I think they would be a cool addition to the game. Also, I'd love to locate the info on what different colored teddies do?

Well, according the husk of a website I found, the difference seems to be mostly in the upgrades on the back.

• Gold - Combat +1 and Follow Through (can make a move after causing a rip, once per turn)
  • Blue - Animation Requirement -2, Hide in the Covers (when torn apart, its upgrades go into the scrap heap)
  • Green - Built of Strong Stuff (suffers at most one rip per attack) and Repackage (discard cards to duplicate a torn apart puppet)
  • Red - Powerful +1 and Hungry
  • Purple - Def +1 and Sprint (one extra move)

But, again, no teddies in the 2015 Puppet Wars crew creator data, playtest or not.

Wyrd did sell them as a 5-pack during one sale. It was to get rid of the residual metal puppets from the original version of the game. I have the stat cards for all five of them if you want scans, however as mentioned they are not for the Unstitched version of the game so may not be 100% compatible.

It isn't an issue for me because I much prefer the original version of the game to the re-boot which while offering better components (especially the box) is an entirely different game than what I originally bought into.

1 hour ago, Rippula said:

@Omenbringer, yes please. I only have PWU since I recently got into it. I can use the old stats to come up with something comparable at least. If Brass Monkey doesn't beat me to it.

For the record, the front side of each of the Teddy cards is the same, just like red teddy card you've posted earlier.  The difference is just the upgrade side.

Thank you very, much. I just got hired on the new Tom Hanks flick Greyhound. So it might be a minute before I can try and convert them. I did get a message from Brass Monkey that be was going to do a conversion too, so he'll probably beat me to it.  Since he's monitoring this thread, he'll probably make use of the scan too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all,

I've looked at the scans (thanks for these) plus also compared all the old stats to their new equivalents to see whether there's a pattern. A few puppets had a big change to their AR but also to their corresponding abilities. However, stats generally only changed by a point or two max, if at all. Bad juju and ice golem (which are maybe comparable to Teddy?) saw no change in their stats between the two versions, and have an unstitched movement stat of 2. Bad juju's AR dropped a point and Ice Golem's stayed the same.

Therefore I suggest we could port across everything with very little change. Keep the same AR and stats, give them a movement of 2, keep the first two abilities and the 'swallow whole' action unchanged, move the thrd ability to be an extra stitch on the upgrade instead, and keep the rest of the upgrades unchanged. What do you think?

Whilst I'm updating the cards, I'm thinking of changing the name of the Stuffed Piglets' upgrade from Bacon (which is also the name of the piglets' upgrade) to "Don't Ask", which is what it was in the first edition.

What do you all think?

Thanks again.

Mat 'Brass Monkey'

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Brass Monkey said:

What do you all think?

Without playtesting the changes, they seem reasonable enough.

Also, if you're updating the cards, it'd be good to use the correct font for the headings if you can and add the white glowy effect around them, to make them more matchey-matchey. It's called "28 days later" I believe and is freely available.

2 hours ago, Brass Monkey said:

What do you all think?

Thanks again.

Mat 'Brass Monkey'

Sounds entirely reasonable (though my thoughts here count for nothing until I've actually played the game). One unrelated note: there seems to be a typo on the Zombie Chihuahua card. An ability is called "flees" when it should be "fleas". It's not a big deal, but I thought I'd throw it out there ;-) 

Were there special rules for the teddies? Were they drafted into your army like any other puppet, or did all five start on the board somehow? If they become interesting when there's more of them then it would make sense to have a way of ensuring that they're available to tear apart and steal each other's patches. I wondered if there was a special scenario released with them.

They could be taken from the get though had to be animated from the toy box as usual and had a special rule allowing more than the usual limit to be fielded ("Its a Teddy Bear Picnic"). They were also allowed to attach as many heart patches as they wanted and they didn't count toward the total they were allowed (When Our Powers Combine).

Because of this you could build "super teddy" around the suitless Teddy for the consistent low Animation value. In a Shoebox game you select your Master, 5 Teddys and 2 other puppets that you want (one of which is for their upgrade). This allows you to build a "Super Teddy" that will have 7 Stitches, all 5 Heart Patches (Defense 11, Combat 3 that causes two rips on each success, animates on 4 or higher, Move 3 with the possibility of an additional if you can kill an enemy puppet, and a slew of other neat extras) and one additional desirable upgrade for him. Once you have all the required Puppets on the field you can use "What Pretty Buttons You Have" to tear apart your friendless without worrying about attaching the upgrades without becoming exhausted. It is an all your eggs in one basket style of play but it can be hilariously funny.

There was not a scenario released with them, they were just an extra for the game with them randomly inserted into Pawn Boxes.

With that said, when I did manage to form "Supper Teddy" I usually used a full size Malifaux Teddy model to represent the awesomeness.

Also a movement of 2 (without upgrades) is correct, that is what they had in the original game as I recall.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brass Monkey said:

Well that's interesting... There are two red teddy cards in this post and they have different Animation Requirements. Tempted to go with Omenbringer's scanned versions though (4ram).

My copy of the card (I'm looking right at it) says 4:ram. I can only assume that the 8:ram version is a typo from the patch on the back (that is the activation cost for the patch).

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind I posted the Teddy cards for the original version of the game and not the Unstitched Reboot. The animation cost may well have changed between versions though I don't believe it did (likely just a cuts and paste error as mentioned above).

There is an additional wrinkle with many of the models not produced in plastic for Unstitched. More than a few aborted play test attempts over the years resulted in several different versions of the same puppets circulating in the wild. I don't think the animation costs that are on the original puppet teddy's is too low for Unstitched but will defer to those who play that version more often than I do.