Grenade Launcher and Claw?

WWHSD

Like a lot of folks, I've got an Alt Lazarus heading my way. I was trying to think of where I'd actually use him and realized that he can take Blade and Claw. I've used the upgrade a couple of times and think it's fun but haven't really ever put it to good use.

Does it make any sense to put Lazarus into a Marcus crew to provide some shooting that those crews typically lack? Lazarus with Blade and Claw and maybe take a couple of quick, cheap, Beasts like Guild Hounds or Night Terrors to help position him. The cheap beasts go to where you want Lazarus to shoot from and then he swaps spots with them with his zero action and then uses Autofire. In the event that your opponent engages Lazarus you can have Lazarus swap places with a melee beater Beast.

I think it could be fun to play but the 12SS for Lazarus+Blade and Claw seems like it might be hard to justify.  Does anyone have any experience with Lazarus in a Marcus crew with Blade and Claw? Do you think he was worth bringing? 

• Like 1

So maybe something a long the lines of this:

Leader: Marcus - Cache:(4)
   The Hunger Cry 1ss 
   The Trail of the Gods 1ss 
   Feral Instincts 1ss 
Jackalope 2ss 
Myranda 8ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Cojo 6ss 
Guild Hound 3ss 
Guild Hound 3ss 
Slate Ridge Mauler 7ss 
   Circus Bear 0ss 
Malifaux Raptor 3ss 
Lazarus 10ss 
   Blade And Claw 1ss 

The Raptor is there to make Lazarus a Beast. Night Terrors could be hired instead of Guild Hounds depending on the scheme pool and terrain. Cojo and the Mauler could be swapped out for other things but they seemed like they might be good swaps for Lazarus when he’s engaged. The Razorspine dies a little quicker but it discourages anything it gets dropped next to from trying to walk out of engagement.

29 minutes ago, Freman said:

Marcus's turning them into a beast (IIRC) drops their WP by 1. The Raptor's doesn't, although it can be removed by condition removal.

I think you are confusing marcus with a canine remains. Marcus' (0) Feral only gives them beast but drops at the end of the turn. All of them can be removed with condition removal because they apply conditions that in turn make you a beast. The raptor isn't as good offensively because the model can discard to drop the condition. For a friendly the raptor is nice because it's the whole game but you can't even trade places with a peon and they no longer contribute to schemes so I'm not sure it brings enough to the game.

• Like 2

@Ludvig what about you want to domesticate a non-beast ennemy, which you would need to feral first? I guess it depends on the play style of each player in the end. I personaly like raptors. They are quite tanky for their cost, can get very far away on the board and have nice triggers. For me, they would mean once task less to remember each turn: not having to make Lazarus a beast.

• 1 month later...

While I’ve been waiting for Lazarus to show up I’ve played a couple of games with Howard instead of Lazarus.  I don’t know if it’s high-end-competitive good but being able to sling shot Howard up the table has been a lot of fun.

If you can manage to get Howard and Marcus to activate late enough in the turn, Darzee’s Chaunt and Alpha on Howard let him launch down the table with a teleport, kill something and then kill something else on his own activation and then teleport back to safety. It burns through a lot of cards though.

I ended up running a pair of Grootslang instead of Cojo and the Mauler and a pair of Night Terrors instead of the Guild Hounds. I’ve also tried a single Grootslang and three Hoar Cats.  I think the Hoar Cats are much more capable models but how to best use them really hasn’t clicked with me. The Night Terrors seemed much easier to get where I needed them and they make great beasts to keep near Marcus when he starts coming under fire.