Idea for re-release of the game

I know that I'm probably just talking to myself here, but since some folks from Wyrd seem to read these forums as well, I'd just like to drop a suggestion:

From what I've seen and read, PWU is an incredible game. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but everything points to it being exactly the kind of game I'm looking for: a miniature skirmish (lite) game for those (like me) who have never played mini wargames before and want to share it with their friends and family who like board games (and miniatures) but are put off by the prospect of using a tape-measure when playing.

If the game is as good as it seems, then it would be a bargain at its current MSRP (and a ridiculous bargain at $55 or so, which is what I paid on another store). More importantly, it would be fairly priced at $100 if only the miniatures came assembled. I suspect that prospect of having to mess with sprues and glues puts off the vast majority of board gamers without wargaming experience, and they (we) seem to be a prime market for this game. But allow more casual gamers to fall in love with the game (and with the Malifaux universe), and the rest of your game line should start selling more as well.

So, at the risk of merely talking into the void, why not consider putting out a Puppet Wars Restitched version out? Keep the same rules as the Unstitched version, but sell the minis assembled and raise the cost accordingly. Include a different set of characters in the Restitched version, and people who own PWU will buy it as well. Put it out on Kickstarter and rake in the dough.  Use that dough to put out expansions (or add them as stretch goals as well).

Just something to consider...

PA

• Like 3

I would just be happy with the last of the plastic puppets being released. Though if a re-issue was to happen, I would still prefer the original rules to the Unstitched version. I know there are those who disagree but it really was deeper game play.

And while we are asking for things...again...would love to see the game expanded into a three dimensional board game, or at least with a re-configurable board layout. The Terraclips tie in was something that I always felt was under-marketed. Though they were house rules, the games I played utilizing doors, multiple rooms, and stairs provided a lot of enjoyment.

Unfortunately this game was a bit ahead of its time and sadly I think it is now behind the times.

• Like 2

On 2018/2/4 at 11:35 AM, Pantoporos Aporos said:

If the game is as good as it seems, then it would be a bargain at its current MSRP (and a ridiculous bargain at $55 or so, which is what I paid on another store). More importantly, it would be fairly priced at $100 if only the miniatures came assembled. I suspect that prospect of having to mess with sprues and glues puts off the vast majority of board gamers without wargaming experience, and they (we) seem to be a prime market for this game. But allow more casual gamers to fall in love with the game (and with the Malifaux universe), and the rest of your game line should start selling more as well.

The Other Side is probably serving as the large scale test of pre-assembled figures, and it's currently running behind schedule.

You not going to get preassembled figures by taking the current polystyrene molds and paying factory workers to cut pieces off sprues.

Disclaimer:  Second hand observation, the people at Wyrd and Steamforged and elsewhere probably know more than they can say about what it costs to make preassembled figures.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Disclaimer:  Second hand observation, the people at Wyrd and Steamforged and elsewhere probably know more than they can say about what it costs to make preassembled figures.

Fair point, and they undoubtedly know much more than I do about their market and target audience! I'm new to the Wyrd universe, and did not know that The Other Side came with preassembled minis... Good to know!

Thanks for the replies, all!

PA

2 hours ago, Pantoporos Aporos said:

Fair point, and they undoubtedly know much more than I do about their market and target audience! I'm new to the Wyrd universe, and did not know that The Other Side came with preassembled minis... Good to know!

Thanks for the replies, all!

PA

The Other Side is still in the future tense, it's reportedly behind schedule because of production complexity for the preassembled figures.  Since TOS was kickstarted, I think we can at least hope that Puppet Wars might get similar treatment in the future.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, solkan said:

The Other Side is still in the future tense

Gotcha. I meant to say "will come", but wrote "came" for some reason. Busy week at work + posting during short breaks = silly mistakes.  But yeah, knowing that they've put one game through kickstarter, and that it will come with preassembled minis, means that it's at least possible that puppet wars will get the same treatment some day...

They have actually put several games through kickstarter. Sadly, I don't think Puppet Wars would be a good one for that route. I still hold out hope that Puppet Wars will eventually receive some attention but I suspect there may be some issues in the background that we don't know about complicating things.

If nothing else these periodic threads remind those in the know that there is still interest in the IP.

• Like 1