Monday Preview - The Undying

Nef

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Not sure Manos will sync with Yan Lo as it sounds like he wants his own Chi and may not be able to share it. I really like the look of those Mourners - just hope their rules are worthwhile. 

While they might not have as much synergy if they can't share Chi, there shouldn't be any conflict for Chi as a resource with the way that Chi generation abilities has been worded in the past.

6 minutes ago, Sklertic said:

Please make the models have "Retainer" keyword, I don't wan't to waste my money on resser models (I play Yan Lo in TT).

Please make the TT models popular to sell so I don't waste my money on TT models (I play Yan Lo in Ressers)

Edit:  Seriously though, every TT master is so much better in TT then whatever their other faction is.  It would be nice to start seeing pieces that buff only one half of their stuff.

Edited by Clement
seasoning the snark with actual commentary

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

Not sure Manos will sync with Yan Lo as it sounds like he wants his own Chi and may not be able to share it. I really like the look of those Mourners - just hope their rules are worthwhile. 

If it works like a Belle as it's said, it gives an easy access to good Lures to the 10T who had nearly none, patching up one of the faction's specific weakness.

5 minutes ago, Sklertic said:

Please make the models have "Retainer" keyword, I don't wan't to waste my money on resser models (I play Yan Lo in TT).

1 minute ago, Clement said:

Please make the TT models popular to sell so I don't waste my money on TT models (I play Yan Lo in Ressers)

*makes them all Journalists*

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Le gob said:

If it works like a Belle as it's said, it gives an easy access to good Lures to the 10T who had nearly none, patching up one of the faction's specific weakness.

No it says they are defensive belles, which I read to mean they are keyword Belles that are more defensive in nature (not that they have a stat card like a rotten belle). After all I have seen dead doxies described as an offensive belle

6 minutes ago, Clement said:

Edit:  Seriously though, every TT master is so much better in TT then whatever their other faction is.  It would be nice to start seeing pieces that buff only one half of their stuff.

It would be nice to see TT models that the masters can take to their other faction. 

20 minutes ago, Adran said:

No it says they are defensive belles, which I read to mean they are keyword Belles that are more defensive in nature (not that they have a stat card like a rotten belle). After all I have seen dead doxies described as an offensive belle

According the the post they have Manipulative, Disguised, and an action that makes any model in their engagement range unable to target models not in base contact. That sounds like a solid package of abilities. I'd be surprised if they had a Lure on top of that. I'm interested to see their engagement range and the duration of the action's effect. If they've got a 3 inch engagement range and the ability lasts until their next activation, they'd be awesome. If it's a 1 inch engagement and until the end of the turn they'll only be situationally useful. If it's 2 inches and until the start of the next activation they'll probably be in a decent spot.

If Wyrd follows the pattern set by the Starter box we should expect each faction to get a 9 point Henchman, an 8 point Enforcer, and a pair of 5 point Minions.  

Love this box.

Anybody watch the MST3K roast of "Manos Hands of Fate"?

All I can think of when I see Manos is "I'm not touching you.... I'm NOT TOUCHING yoooouuuu.... Is this pissing you off!?" :lol:

Wasn't the actor who played Torgo permanently crippled because he improperly wore the satyr costume?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clement said:

I feel that's the nature of most Dual Faction Masters...I can speak personally for Zoraida (she's so much better in Neverborn), but think about Tara, for example, or Lucius...

1 hour ago, Le gob said:

I hope not. All these continuous patches keep watering down factions, until it'll finally make no difference anymore what faction you play. That, for me, is just bad.

I was just discussing the other day with a friend the fact that, for example, nowadays declaring factions tells you little to nothing as to what you can expect from your opponent - every faction can more or less do anything and has a wide variety of playstyles. And so one of the key aspects of the game is getting lost.

p.s. it looks like this Manos is an assassin = glass cannon style melee beater. Are Ressers going to get their own Nekima? :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

According the the post they have Manipulative, Disguised, and an action that makes any model in their engagement range unable to target models not in base contact. That sounds like a solid package of abilities. I'd be surprised if they had a Lure on top of that. I'm interested to see their engagement range and the duration of the action's effect. If they've got a 3 inch engagement range and the ability lasts until their next activation, they'd be awesome. If it's a 1 inch engagement and until the end of the turn they'll only be situationally useful. If it's 2 inches and until the start of the next activation they'll probably be in a decent spot.

If Wyrd follows the pattern set by the Starter box we should expect each faction to get a 9 point Henchman, an 8 point Enforcer, and a pair of 5 point Minions.  

Yes, the stat card will reveal exactly what they'll be, at the moment they still have the whole spectrum of potential from very situational to broken :D

I do hope there is no pattern in the sense you mention: different factions have different balance and point costs, after all. I think trying to release models at the same flat point cost for each faction could lead to odd situations like the Lucky Emissary (one of the most underwhelming models in the faction). Also for example 5SS minions and 9SS henchmen for Gremlins are rather expensive, while they might be quite cheap for other factions (depending on what they do, of course).

Just now, edopersichetti said:

Yes, the stat card will reveal exactly what they'll be, at the moment they still have the whole spectrum of potential from very situational to broken :D

I do hope there is no pattern in the sense you mention: different factions have different balance and point costs, after all. I think trying to release models at the same flat point cost for each faction could lead to odd situations like the Lucky Emissary (one of the most underwhelming models in the faction). Also for example 5SS minions and 9SS henchmen for Gremlins are rather expensive, while they might be quite cheap for other factions (depending on what they do, of course).

Did I mention I can't wait to see the stat cards released? Also, can't wait to know a bit more about the other pre-released encounter box (Backdraft if I'm not wrong), which I think will have Gremlins ;)

19 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

p.s. it looks like this Manos is an assassin = glass cannon style melee beater. Are Ressers going to get their own Nekima? :(

Based on the way he's written, given that he's chi fueled, there's no way he'd be the same category of beater as Nekima.  He'd have to build up his beatsticking power over time.  He might *end up* in Nekima levels of hitter, but that would likely take a rather large pile of Chi so it would be turn 3 or 4...  long after Nekima has scared the crap out of the opponent.  Which just feels like a budget Yan Lo.

Besides, ressers have Archie...  who is their "Nekima" for better or worse.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

I hope not. All these continuous patches keep watering down factions, until it'll finally make no difference anymore what faction you play. That, for me, is just bad.

I was just discussing the other day with a friend the fact that, for example, nowadays declaring factions tells you little to nothing as to what you can expect from your opponent - every faction can more or less do anything and has a wide variety of playstyles. And so one of the key aspects of the game is getting lost.

That's reliant on all of the Rezzers having the Retainer ability, though. Strong bet that Manos does given the mention of Chi, but Mourners look more like the Belle aesthetic than a Retainer aesthetic if that makes any sense. Not to mention whatever the hell that big thing is. They just don't feel enough like something that would be close pals with Yan Lo.

I'd say an additional component to the argument is that the Wanyudo and Katashiro both don't seem to fit the Retainer profile as well. It's likely to be a nice perk to Yan Lo if Manos has Retainer, not a reflection of the overall box being "GET YOUR YAN LO SUPERCHARGE PACK RIIIIIGHT HERE" (Although I would not mind such a thing ;))

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

I guess the SS costs won't necessarily come out the same for each model, but the total total will probably stay around the same. 

Sandeep would definitely rather have 3SS or 4SS Whiskey Gamin instead of having them at 5SS (assuming the speculation I saw someone making about Backdraft is is correct).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

While they might not have as much synergy if they can't share Chi, there shouldn't be any conflict for Chi as a resource with the way that Chi generation abilities has been worded in the past.

Yan Lo has aura that allows to harvest Chi. Even if Mano cant hepl Yan Lo, last one can help Mano

3 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

I'd say an additional component to the argument is that the Wanyudo and Katashiro both don't seem to fit the Retainer profile as well. It's likely to be a nice perk to Yan Lo if Manos has Retainer, not a reflection of the overall box being "GET YOUR YAN LO SUPERCHARGE PACK RIIIIIGHT HERE" (Although I would not mind such a thing ;))

As someone that just picked up a Yan Lo box that was too cheap not to buy and who doesn't really have much in the way of 10T or Resser models, this seems like a natural buy that will let Yan Lo hit the table as either faction even if nothing has the Retainer characteristic. Assuming 27 points of models for each faction and that leaves Yan with 1SS left if he takes 3SS worth of upgrades and hires everything in his box except for a single Ashigaru.  

2 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

As someone that just picked up a Yan Lo box that was too cheap not to buy and who doesn't really have much in the way of 10T or Resser models, this seems like a natural buy that will let Yan Lo hit the table as either faction even if nothing has the Retainer characteristic. Assuming 27 points of models for each faction and that leaves Yan with 1SS left if he takes 3SS worth of upgrades and hires everything in his box except for a single Ashigaru.  

You should get Izamu and/or Yin. You won't regret it.

1 minute ago, WWHSD said:

That is true, but I was speaking more in the context of the quoted post which seemed to speculate on Yan Lo being able to bring Belle lures over into 10T (poor Oiran), warning against assuming that there was going to be a ton of bringing stuff across faction lines and getting new bonkers interactions. For sure it's sounding like it'll be a nice booster pack for either faction choice in general. Just not the same shot in the arm that mass handing out of Retainer would bring.