Monthly painting challenge - February

Franchute

12 hours ago, Caedrus said:

My pledge for this month will be a 50% increase! Behold the 36 parts that make up the 3SS Steam Trunk!

I salute your modeling fortitude. I put the left track assembly together and then decided I'd just let my poisoned Freikorps burn.

I'll finish the Nothing Beast this weekend in all likelihood but my real pledge is Miss Terious for 6SS. I can already tell she's going to be a pain to prep. Terrible casting offset.

IMG_2387.jpg.0791fa3be6f29c22123296a532817b61.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chou said:

Yep... considering I reach my goal with the other models I've decided I'll paint them for 0 SS. Leveticus will pay me later, or so he says. 

The waifs count as 5 soulstones each. Moreover, even if they are totems, I dont think they are so fast to paint.

• Like 1

In no particular order in the close future

• paint metal Candy and Kade
  • paint three metal Sorrows
  • finally finish Raspy's pants, ideally learn to paint denim, make her a cool base and call it a day
  • try Green stuff for the first time and build a Hooded Rider from a GW armored horse and a Crooligan
  • build Iggy from another Crooligan

• Like 1

@Burnin' Coal thanks for the tip on the book. I have been commenting to ny wife I should buy a colour theory book for months but I didnt know which one to buy. It might be my next amazon purchase. Do you have any other book you would recomend for miniature painting? I could recomend a couple I have but they are both in French.

@PetitDalek I liked the following tutorial to paint denim. Given that we may share the same mother tongue, you may want to have a look:

http://code660066.blogspot.cl/2017/02/tutoriel-peindre-des-jeans.html?m=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Franchute...the Johannes Itten book is hardcore theory...not sure if it is currently in print 

Itten, Johannes, and Birren, Faber (1970). The Elements of Color: A Treatise on the Color System of Johannes Itten Based on His Book The Art of Color. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold. ISBN 0-442-24038-4

For miniature painting in earnest I started with Kevin Dallimore's book published by Foundry and that got me underway in 28mm (still have a small lead mountain to prove it 😉)....Malifaux however is all together a different proposition and to be honest I've learnt and thought about things more since I started this challenge last year than I could have ever have gotten from twenty books in any language

Will post February's pledge tomorrow evening 

• Like 3

...way back some time last year a combination of work and travel forced me out of the Challenge....and so...for February my pledge will be to actually finish Mr Graves....PLUS.....AAAAAAGH ! 😱😱 Look at all those brittle tiny translucent pieces !! - it's been sitting in a box laughing at me for far too long so Patti Ramone on her Doughnut of Death will be joining my collection by the end of the month...for a total of 15SS

large.FullSizeRender.jpg.d6f2c7c4f90d810ed50fb56da3ab68a4.jpg

• Like 4

So having had a mad bit of inspiration I have almost finished Wong already.

also working on a young LaCroix and Raphael.

pics tonight when I get home.

bit concerned I’m now painting mini s from 3 different crews so need to calm down and get one finished and then move to the rest or else I’ll be gaming with half painted crews all year.

0705EB82-00AF-4CFE-B77C-310F5A74AFF6.jpeg

B3B2C7EA-2A32-4798-B728-5B728E8EC25F.jpeg

• Like 4

Here's what I'll be working on this month - pretty much all of the 2 player starter set and some more Guild models. Since taking the picture I've made a start on one of the Bloodwretch's, Angel Eyes and Dr Grimwell and nearly finished the second Witchling Stalker, so progress is being made - I honestly think I'll smash my target this month :D (although I haven't checked the Stalker since waking up today and I was very tired painting last night due to a late night trip to the hospital with my pregnant wife in monsoon conditions - all's well and good now though :) ).

Despite initially deciding on Parker Barrows as my main Master and Outcasts as my faction, I seem to be far more enthused about painting up my Guild and Neverborn guys, so we'll have to see how that pans out over the coming months. I had my first game with Sonnia yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed playing her (despite losing badly!), so if I carry on as I'm going, it looks like her and Perdita will be my main choices to start with and I'll save Parker for when the wife wants to play (she always picks Sonnia :P). Which is cool, I seem to be set on a colour scheme for the Guild now, which will run through the entire faction, so it makes sense to plough on with those guys.

My only issue so far this month is regretting undercoating the Neverborn guys black - I was initially going to go with much darker colours on the Bloodwretch's before deciding at the last minute that they'd suit unfashionably garish bright shirts. I may regret that one by the time the month's out! :o

IMG_0680.JPG

• Like 4

large.2018Feb_beasts_pledge.jpg.15d0e5d19a1913c3a078cea571f36a8b.jpgTime to post a February pledge.  Many things on the plastic to-do pile, so I am pledging the minimum for my level this month.  War pig (9SS) & a corrupted hound (3 SS)---can't have too many beasts, after all.

@Burnin' CoalThat taxidermist is excellent!  Every time I see one of your finished models it reinforces in my mind that I need to expand my color palette and dial up the contrast.  And practice more.  :)

... forgot to upload photo before writing post.  Is it just me that always does this?  Please stand by ...

Thanks for the correction Burnin' Coal!  The taxidermist I mentioned was by indeed by Rust and the City.

• Like 3

Hahaha, no worries profbycid and Burnin coal.

5 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

Time to post a February pledge.  Many things on the plastic to-do pile, so I am pledging the minimum for my level this month.  War pig (9SS) & a corrupted hound (3 SS)---can't have too many beasts, after all.

@Burnin' CoalThat taxidermist is excellent!  Every time I see one of your finished models it reinforces in my mind that I need to expand my color palette and dial up the contrast.  And practice more.  :)

... forgot to upload photo before writing post.  Is it just me that always does this?  Please stand by ...

I've been pushing myself to increase contrast on my models for a while. It's really challenging to smoothly transition through a big gradient. I've been trying to use more colors on my models as well as I tend to use a lot of black, white and grey. 

Burnin' Coal, I think you mentioned how quick I got the taxidermist done. I worked on him after finishing Zipp in January, so about 10 days or so. He just happened to be  finished  quickly  at the start of the month. It's taking me about 5 evenings of painting per model. 

• Like 1