So.. tanuki tricks

fanteegi

I have developed some (what I think is a) neat trick with these guys.

Make them sleep for their 2ap. Give them reactivate and ply an enemy model and it counts as 2 models with ply.

I have messaged the designers who cannot answer this rules query outside of FAQ so I am going to play it until a TO or the FAQ say otherwise.

• Like 1

Seems good.   You're using 2 Tanuki for this I assume.  I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.  "Take a little nap" very clearly lasts till the start of the next turn regardless of what the Tanuki gets up to after his activation ends.

A slightly simpler plan would be to have the Tanuki pass its activation, then let Brewmaster obey same tanuki to Ply the enemy model for info.  Same result with less setup.

See my theory works best with McCabe in my experience and thou can reactivate them with relative ease. But that' mostly because I have never played brewie.

But yeah, give them fast, nimble and reactivate and you'e on your way. Even with 1 tanuki that' still pretty good.

If you can get them up to 4 poison, they can reactivate amongst themselves but I think that outside of brewie, that's a bit too much investment.

• Like 1

You are depending on your opponent not simply plying them while they are napping for two of their activations but if someone ia paralyzed this looka pretty good. I liked the Brewie idea since he might shut the enemy down from using those activations effectively.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

You are depending on your opponent not simply plying them while they are napping for two of their activations but if someone ia paralyzed this looka pretty good. I liked the Brewie idea since he might shut the enemy down from using those activations effectively.

This is currently only theory crafting at the moment. Have a gg18 event this weekend so depending on my oponents and the schemes I will try it out with McCabe 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fanteegi said:

This is currently only theory crafting at the moment. Have a gg18 event this weekend so depending on my oponents and the schemes I will try it out with McCabe 

Looking forward to hear how it goes. An opponent not aware of the reactivate from McCabe might mess up and let it happen. If you don't consider that it can get reactivate it will seem like a very low priority target.

• Like 1

On 2018-01-31 at 8:22 PM, fanteegi said:

I think even experienced players will let it happen once through bot realising. But they'll only let it happen once after you declare it.

Unless you ply very late in the turn they could kill your Tanuki as well. They're 5 wounds and have no defensive tech. They could make a good trap for someone charging in headlong trying to finish your crew but that tactic seems iffy in a game of ply. My games so far have been lure or shoot focused to thin out rhe enemy crew before anyone can ply or pull in a lone sucker.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2018 at 12:52 AM, Ludvig said:

Unless you ply very late in the turn they could kill your Tanuki as well. They're 5 wounds and have no defensive tech. They could make a good trap for someone charging in headlong trying to finish your crew but that tactic seems iffy in a game of ply. My games so far have been lure or shoot focused to thin out rhe enemy crew before anyone can ply or pull in a lone sucker.

They have a Df Trigger ("I'm a Teapot") to place 3" from the enemy. They heal themselves and others. And you feel like it, take Terracotta warriors for Ancient Protection. They have the definition of defensive tech. 

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen the latest FAQ, this tactic specifically does not work. Question 89 (in relevant part):

How do models with an Ability that lets them count as two models impact the different Strategies and Schemes (where it may be relevant)? 

Models that count as two models do so, but the “second” model is not considered to have any Conditions, effects, etc on the first.

Below are Strategies where these Abilities are relevant.

• Ours - The model’s cost counts twice.
• Ply for Information - The Condition is only on one model.
• Public Executions - The Condition is only on one model.
• Headhunter - Models that count as two drop two Markers. Models that count as two for scoring drop one.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OneLittleThunder said:

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen the latest FAQ, this tactic specifically does not work. Question 89 (in relevant part):

How do models with an Ability that lets them count as two models impact the different Strategies and Schemes (where it may be relevant)? 

Models that count as two models do so, but the “second” model is not considered to have any Conditions, effects, etc on the first.

Below are Strategies where these Abilities are relevant.

• Ours - The model’s cost counts twice.
• Ply for Information - The Condition is only on one model.
• Public Executions - The Condition is only on one model.
• Headhunter - Models that count as two drop two Markers. Models that count as two for scoring drop one.

Thankfully, and rightfully so, I should add! :D

Already the Tanukipult is a bit of a problem, now this would make Tanuki a serious problem!