Branching out into Arcanists with Kaeris

Beta

Hi Wyrdos,

so I've been lucky at my last tournament and won the big mystery box. Inside was the orange Kaeris box. So now I have to branch out to Arcanists (coming from Guild).
I've already thought about Arcanists as my second faction before I've got the box (because there are some models I could use in Guild and vice versa).

So...now I've got Kaeris. But what next? Regarding Masters I want to get Ramos (because of Hoffman) and Sandeep (because he can use Academics from Sonnia and because he is a good allrounder) in the future. Maybe later I'll add Rasputina.
I have a long list of models, but no idea what to buy and what to leave on the shelf. I prefer themed forces with a light touch of "OP models" which don't fit into the theme and models that could be used for the future masters.

Any advice?

As someone who plays Marcus, he is absolutely amazing.  He can literally do anything from being a beater (with min 4 damage), to buffing and debuffing and scheme running ALL IN THE SAME TURN.  One of the most beneficial models I think you can get for Kaeris and Arcanists in general is Carlos.  I literally use him in every crew I make.  Plus, if you get Malifaux Raptors, they can turn any model into a Beast for the whole game with a trigger on their Ml attack.  So basically you can run whatever you want and still be amazing.  Arcane effigy is a solid minion and essentially makes Marcus min damage 5 or they discard a card.  Night terrors absorb 6-10 damage for Marcus's Df trigger and Performers are great for blowing up Scheme Markers at range and potentially putting enemy models at -/- on Df and Wp duels.  These three I always bring with Marcus as well.  It leaves room for Myranda (with Imbued Energies) and Carlos and another heavy hitter or scheme runners.  

Saying this, Sandeep is great of course but I can't say how much fun and strong Marcus is.  I'd say he's also one of the more difficult masters to play because, like Sandeep, he has so many options.  All of our other masters are kind of niche masters but are also fun to play.  Good luck!

• Like 1

First purchase should probably be arcane effigy. That thing makes it into almost every list regardless of master because between its (0), toughness for 4SS, and the ability to remove conditions it is just plain good.

Internet logic says play Malifaux Child with Kaeris (I personally switch regularly between it and her normal totem)

Malifaux Raptors (pre-GG18, have not tried enough GG18 to know about now), Wind Gamin and Union Steamfitter (edit: though looking at this list I compiled there are not a lot of models that don't already have armor so maybe doesn't need to be first on your list) are all also solid universal models. I agree that Carlos is as well and would add Amina as another good henchman.

Ramos box will always be a solid pick, though unless you magnetize you'll probably want more spiders as well as mobile toolkit and/or electrical creation to go with him. Plus his box would give you some beaters, something missing from the rest of my comments.

the only academic Sandeep will borrow from Sonnia is sanctioned spellcastor, that being said he is a good master so if you want to go for him do it. But be aware you may start needing to expand to get his summon list (metal, ice, wind gamin since you already have fire and poison is in his box)

hopefully this might be enough to give you a start and let you get to the point of being able to play and try things out yourself to plan the steps after this one

as always, add an implicit IMO at the end of every one of these comments.

• Like 1

If you play Sandeep you want Mages. If you play Arcanists you want mages honestly. The only crews I haven't fit them into are Ramos and Marcus. They do well with Kaeris, Colette and Sandeep. Agree with Arcane Effigy. Also Acolytes are pro status as well as the Myrandabus. Carlos is good with pretty much everyone. Cassandra, Angelica stand out too. 

• Like 2

If you buy Sandeep you should probably plan on buying Ironsides at the same time since the Oxfodian Mages are really good with him.

I think you can get a nice start with the Kaeris box, Ramos box, Arcane Effigy, Malifaux Child, and Carlos Vasquez. You'll be a little weak in the ranged department but should be able to put together a couple of reasonable crews. The Effigy and Carlos will get play with a lot of different Arcanist masters as will the contents of the Ramos box. The Malifaux Child is kind of a Kaeris specific purchase.

Put the  "Powered by Flame" upgrade on Joss to let him and your other constructs add Burning +1 when they damage an enemy within 8 of Joss. If you get the stuff I listed you'll have Joss, Howard, Arachnids (swarms and singles if you magnetize) and Fire Gamin as constructs that can benefit from this (Eternal Flame is also a construct but has no abilities that damage enemies).

For schemeier pools pop Practiced Production onto Carlos. That combined with Kaeris's Grab and Drop upgrade should make it easy to get scheme markers out. 

• Like 1

As a Kaeris player u need
☻  2-3 Fire Gamins
☻ 1/2 - Gunsmiths
☻ 1 - Effigy 
Situational
☻ Joss
☻ Howard Langston
☻ December Acolyte

☻ SnowStorm
☻ Arcane Emissary

As someone can find it out i didnt mention Carlos, Firestarter and Rail Golem. As for me Carlos is OK, but i dont like to play him. Firestarter and Rail Golem are shitty models and for same cost u can find better ones. Other Arcanist models are so situational that u probably will use them once or twice per huge period of time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rillan said:

As a Kaeris player u need
☻  2-3 Fire Gamins
☻ 1/2 - Gunsmiths
☻ 1 - Effigy 
Situational
☻ Joss
☻ Howard Langston
☻ December Acolyte

☻ SnowStorm
☻ Arcane Emissary

As someone can find it out i didnt mention Carlos, Firestarter and Rail Golem. As for me Carlos is OK, but i dont like to play him. Firestarter and Rail Golem are shitty models and for same cost u can find better ones. Other Arcanist models are so situational that u probably will use them once or twice per huge period of time.

I can`t imagine how someone can call Firestarter shitty and recommend Gunsmiths :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rillan said:

Firestarter and Rail Golem are shitty models and for same cost u can find better ones.

I'm surprised that you list the Firestarter as a shitty model. 7 points for a model with Reckless and Flight is something that should get some work done. He also lets you take credit for kills when enemies die from the burning condition which can be great in a lot of the killy schemes. I'm not sure what exactly in Arcanists fits this same niche.

It think the only thing that the Firestarter really doesn't do is dish out direct damage but that's kind of true with the other 7 point Arcanist Henchmen as well (Kudra and Kandara).

20 minutes ago, trikk said:

I can`t imagine how someone can call Firestarter shitty and recommend Gunsmiths :P

To the OP.  If you are new to reading Arcanist posts, Gunslingers are kind of a polarizing model. There is a contingent that swears by them and another that thinks that they are never the right model to include in a crew.

I'm of the opinion that if you like them and want to make them work in a Kaeris crew, you can do it but for the point cost and the effort required you probably would have been better off bringing something else that doesn't need as much set up and support to get results from.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I'm surprised that you list the Firestarter as a shitty model. 7 points for a model with Reckless and Flight is something that should get some work done. He also lets you take credit for kills when enemies die from the burning condition which can be great in a lot of the killy schemes. I'm not sure what exactly in Arcanists fits this same niche.

It think the only thing that the Firestarter really doesn't do is dish out direct damage but that's kind of true with the other 7 point Arcanist Henchmen as well (Kudra and Kandara).

If u need scheme runners there are better ones, if u need flight model its better to take Wind Gamin or even stay with Kaeris cause she also can fly, if u need direct damage there also are better models.  Firestarter is like Mech Rider he is a bit of everything, but as everyone knows when someone is good in everything he is same way bad in everything. I personally dont like models that same way bad and good in everything. Every model has its purpose and after those games i saw and played with Firestarter i put mine on shelf to gather dust.

1 minute ago, Rillan said:

If u need scheme runners there are better ones, if u need flight model its better to take Wind Gamin or even stay with Kaeris cause she also can fly, if u need direct damage there also are better models.  Firestarter is like Mech Rider he is a bit of everything, but as everyone knows when someone is good in everything he is same way bad in everything. I personally dont like models that same way bad and good in everything. Every model has its purpose and after those games i saw and played with Firestarter i put mine on shelf to gather dust.

He`s great at Guarded Treasure, He`s quite good at Entourage, he can work for Punish the Weak and Symbols.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rillan said:

If u need scheme runners there are better ones, if u need flight model its better to take Wind Gamin or even stay with Kaeris cause she also can fly, if u need direct damage there also are better models.  

What's a better scheme runner than the Firestarter? He's got the added benefit of being able to dole out a burning for Kaeris and her friends to benefit from.

I think that the Firestarter is hands down better than a Wind Gamin at scheme running (and should be for 3 points more). They've got the same Wk, and the Firestarter can always get the extra movement from Reckless. Leap on the Wind Gamin manages to let me down every time I need it or ends up costing me a severe card from my hand. Wind Gamins with their Df/Wp tend to die on me if anything looks at them. The higher Wp and Df of the Firestarter makes him more likely to live to get where he needs to go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

What's a better scheme runner than the Firestarter?

I prefer Ice Dancer if i need pure one. 

6 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I think that the Firestarter is hands down better

Its the way i play. I shared my opinion and dont push anyone to do things i like to do. Mb in way u play u need Firestarter but in my games i found that i dont need it and its not worth taking. Mb some day in far far future... ☻☻☻

53 minutes ago, Rillan said:

I prefer Ice Dancer if i need pure one. 

Its the way i play. I shared my opinion and dont push anyone to do things i like to do. Mb in way u play u need Firestarter but in my games i found that i dont need it and its not worth taking. Mb some day in far far future... ☻☻☻

I think it's calling the Firestarter "shitty" that I took issue with. It's fine if you've got other models that fill a similar role that you prefer but I don't see how that makes the Firestarter shitty.

This is a thread started by someone that has the Kaeris crew box and is looking to use it as a start into the faction. The Firestarter is arguably the best model in that crew box. The OP has enough stuff to plan on buying, they should probably leverage the models that they already own where possible. He's good in a Kaeris crew and would even work nicely in a Ramos crew that used Powered by Flame. 

• Like 1

The Firestarter with Ironsides is actually pretty amazing at dealing damage. Reckless gets you the HPM aura bonus immediately when you need it and suddenly Ca 6 1/3/4 is pretty dangerous at range 10:ranged :+fate to attack and damage, burning +1 and a :mask trigger for potentially more damage if there are more models nearby. Combine this with imbued energies and you can cause a lot of damage. Warding runes can get him regen +1 while near one of the mages, which is free reckless.

Mages are good with Kaeris simply because they are a non-garbage model that can give burning (as well as slow, armour ignore, and pushes) and they get :+fate to Wp while within LoS of her (and any M&SU Henchmen/Masters, if you were unaware).

Why do gunsmiths only give out burning on Df/Wp trigger? Their experimental trigger would be way cooler (ha) if it did 1/3/4 damage and +2 burning or something similar. Or if they had a (0) action to apply +1 burning after damaging for the rest of their activation.

2 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

I would like to see a Kaeris model that can do a burning attack like Expunge for McMourning. Deal all your burning damage during the turn instead of at the end of the turn. Would be cool if it also had a trigger to explode and put burning on models with 3" as well 

Besides Kaeris herself?