Zipp wins UK Masters gg2018

Somnicide

5 hours ago, Sergrum said:

He played Zipp and Somer. Not 100% for lists for the pool round, but day 2 he played vs Lynch/Molly/Nico i believe playing Somer/Somer/Zipp

Below are example of his lists. He took the middle one vs Nico in the finals (with DC over DO on zipp cause of eliminate)

Overall, major props to Lucas. I think it was a combination of Skill, list building, and surprises. In talking to him he felt he caught a lot of people off guard (which is odd given nationals but even Varney admitted he didnt know how zipp worked) with things they havent seen. 

My impression (being the one who claimed doom and gloom), we will have to see how the year plans out. I think Lucas is dropping gremlins for Neverborn. GG18 is fresh enough and it seems like the surprises were enough (along with good play). Not sure it will work all year, but we will see. Can't say ill be sad if proven wrong :)

27497913_10155517681158323_213688839_n.jpg?oh=51cb63d862742122d15bc7753af29fd3&oe=5A7156DB27496093_10155517674228323_1407552905_n.jpg?oh=5395af104dd9488d0d004a0f1da13164&oe=5A71432927400306_10155517675988323_644667757_n.jpg?oh=92fd6cdb8c301e7def523285d6c63c54&oe=5A7181F4

The firs is congratulations for the winner. Now I have some considerations, points of view and questions.

I miss on the first list a skeeter with sommer. The probability of Black Joker is 1/54, but you know... bad things happen. For this reason I like bring the skeeter in the list for at least in turn 1 summon 3 bayou gremlin. They also could give Rams in more advanced turns.

He probably used Old major as Francois' taxi, for the same cost of ss I preffer Gracie but Old Major could be a nice option with Sommer's synergy of discard cards.

The second list is good and I think that he gave fast all the turns with a bayou near to the student conflict and pushing her with trixie, but in the last one I don't exactly know how to move the student of the conflict and to give with Zipp fast, due to saddle is only for gremlin models. 

Could you clarify this last point?

The last list is the Nico hunting list,

Fast Zip and use T2 to move/setup for T3 fast again in needed.

Major Taxies Pere around? 

Looking at the list you only have Zipp / Major /  Pere, and one of these models kills itself

If you would go against any of my local players they would scalpel pere/major t1 and leave you lacking in killing department for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PolishSausage said:

Looking at the list you only have Zipp / Major /  Pere, and one of these models kills itself

If you would go against any of my local players they would scalpel pere/major t1 and leave you lacking in killing department for the rest of the game.

Well, that is the a major point of the crew... to kill you in the face...

and what makes a good alpha player good, is being able to protect those pieces until it's time to go in, and knowing when to go in, and what to go in on... so sure the counter play is to kill his hammer, but I'm sure he knows this just as well as you do, and knows how to place his stuff so you can't just kill it without effort...

I get it, at certain point you get into the whole I snipe you, no you snipe me conversation.

(who outplays who is not something we can discuss in this forum, you have to play the game for that)

Taking that to the side, I ran similar list for almost a year. It is one of the stronger plays gremlins have at the moment due to sheer amount of damage that type of list can put out without having opponent do any resisting flips. Pere will almost always pay for his points if you can deliver him within 2" of two or more models, even if they pass the checks you are looking at minimum 4x 4dmg (16total) paying for his low SS cost of 6.

Over time I found 3 things with this list that is problematic:

1) people who seen this list learn very quickly to deploy correctly or to pressure you early with range or snipers (or take all freikorps crew)

2) Because of stuffed pigs going to 3ss you are looking at 10-11 model crews max without gimping yourself with too many bayous. Many crews out there will tie you on activation or out activate. 

3) it is suit dependent and there are 2 crucial castings that need to go off, the skeeter giving condition to Pere and the 0 action to move Pere with a skeeter. I BJ'ed these casts very often.

3 hours ago, trikk said:

Most of our higher-ranked players have around 10-15 games already.

Out of curiosity: how many Gremlins players were present at the tournament and how did they perform? Also can you tell me who was ranked 2-5 or maybe do you have some web page where i can have a look by any chance?

I mean at that point you just take Wong + Franc + Skeeter + Sparks.

Give Franc Glowy and move him 18" with fast skeeter from Sparks.

Drop off Franc, accompany ( do over for 2 more cards) and bring 4 ap paired min5 ignoring armor fear of god into Nico in his deployment. (2nd activation)

Little lass could help stack the deck as well so you don't BJ the key flip

Its called losing humanity turn1

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trikk said:

It wasn`t the Nationals. It was UK Masters. Basically top 16 players from 2017 were invited, divided into 4 groups of 4 and played each other in groups. Top 2 out of each group went to playoffs (8 players) that had a single elimination tournament.

Gremlins also won a 28 people tournament in Poland and I think @edopersichetti was second at LVO ;)

I did, although I admit it was a very close call - I won Round 4 quite beyond my expectations, I thought my opponent had me. Turns out the trio Trixie/Wong/Burt is very hard to take down for Ironsides all by herself...

Perhaps the most significant detail is that I did not use Som'er - I really don't enjoy playing him. Zipp, Ulix and Wong did very well for me, and even Ophelia held her own on Turn 1 against Zoraida (I tied).

p.s. Neverborn Zoraida seems to be the new black. She was everywhere. I think she has really improved - I don't know if she'll perform just as well in Gremlins.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, daniello_s said:

I'm not surprised he used Zipp. He is IMO strongest master in GG18 we have. I'm very interested in his crew composition although i suspect he used narrow number of models (Fingers, Merris, Trixie, Bugs, Survivors, Burt/Taxidermist, Iron Skeeter, maybe 1-2 Bayou Gremlins).

Well done anyway!

I'm not surprised either. He was the one who objectively performed best for me - so hard for my opponent to pin him down! For what it's worth, I had:

Zipp (No Quarter, Dread Pirate, Rambling Diatribe)
Earl
First Mate (Treasure Map, Captain Can't See)
2x Skeeters (Hovering Airship, Explosives)
Crier
Merris
3x Bayou Gremlins

Zipp was the usual flying harassment, plus thanks to the Bayous he has even more mobility than usual. He and Merris basically scored 3VP from Set Up all by themselves. First Mate was also terrific, you all know how good he is at placing/denying scheme markers. Crier also useful with Bureaucracy to deny Ply for Info.
But I feel overall a Zipp crew can do well in a lot of situations.

On the other hand, I witnessed the guy winning the tournament playing Sandeep 3 out of 4 Rounds and ending up with a +22 differential...plus, a good 4/5 in the top 10 were Arcanists.

So yeah, perhaps we're not dead, but a far shot away from Arcanists and Outcasts.

The thing that surprised me the most? 0 Guild players. ZERO. I stand convinced the latest Guild incarnation has a lot of potential in GG2018, but of course, if no one plays the faction, we can't really judge how good/bad it is...

14 hours ago, Sergrum said:

He played Zipp and Somer. Not 100% for lists for the pool round, but day 2 he played vs Lynch/Molly/Nico i believe playing Somer/Somer/Zipp

Below are example of his lists. He took the middle one vs Nico in the finals (with DC over DO on zipp cause of eliminate)

Overall, major props to Lucas. I think it was a combination of Skill, list building, and surprises. In talking to him he felt he caught a lot of people off guard (which is odd given nationals but even Varney admitted he didnt know how zipp worked) with things they havent seen. 

My impression (being the one who claimed doom and gloom), we will have to see how the year plans out. I think Lucas is dropping gremlins for Neverborn. GG18 is fresh enough and it seems like the surprises were enough (along with good play). Not sure it will work all year, but we will see. Can't say ill be sad if proven wrong :)

27497913_10155517681158323_213688839_n.jpg?oh=51cb63d862742122d15bc7753af29fd3&oe=5A7156DB27496093_10155517674228323_1407552905_n.jpg?oh=5395af104dd9488d0d004a0f1da13164&oe=5A71432927400306_10155517675988323_644667757_n.jpg?oh=92fd6cdb8c301e7def523285d6c63c54&oe=5A7181F4

My 2 cents: these lists show how twisted you need to go to be competitive with the faction. They look designed for speed (Skeeter, Major with Saddle) and out-activation (Bayou spam) , so much so that he hired Student of Conflict (hadn't seen that one in a while!) to maximize AP. But apart from that it's all the same old well-known few models (Som'er, Zipp, Merris, Frank, Pere, Trixie). The only "superstar" missing was Burt, he probably didn't need more than one big damage source. This is not good advertisement for our faction :D

I can believe there must have been a "surprise" factor too - I know it happened to me for sure, two of my opponents were not very familiar with Ulix and Zipp and they ended up struggling a lot. The other two opponents were a lot more experienced with the faction and gave me a much harder time (1 tie and 1 risky win).

So again maybe we're not dead but once the dust settles, Guild players come out of retirement, and everyone figures out GG18, things may change. At the moment, Arcanists and Outcasts still dominate, in particular the former (and we knew that already...)

11 hours ago, PolishSausage said:

There are different ways of delivery out there /pigaplult&ophelia / just ophelia / mah/ zoraida / skeeters / lenny / gracy 

The bottom line of the tactic is:

1) out activate your opponent.

2) give "poorly handled explosive condition" to pere ( if he dies with it, he generates pulse2 " 4dmg)

3) You can Fast a skeeter ( 2nd one) with either student or sparks and move pere 18" forward.

4) Pere gets in the position to be within 2" of as many enemy models as possible, and does his explosion ( you need 2x 6+ of tomes to get this off for max damage)

5) A LOT of models take check that does damage, than Pere kills himself and pulses 2x for 2" dmg 4

If someone does not know this is going to happen can potentially lose majority of his crew T1

What Wambo's this list the hardest is activation control and shooters/Obeys

Also you rely on getting the Tome in your hand. ( one high tome is all you need to detonate Pere as skeeter with a RAM on delivery can damage him for the push)

Yeah, overall I agree with you that it is not very exciting, plus only works against an opponent that does not know this is going to happen. If you see that crew on the table just spread out, then he can bomb as much as he wants and maybe kill 2 models if he's lucky :P

yea, but as long as you don't put all your eggs in the delivery basket, Pere killing 2 models outright with no flips for 6ss is Godly.

Don't get me wrong, I do it too(blowing people up with Pere), but I found that taking 1 too many skeeters is not as good as taking Raphael or 2 bayous or 1.5 Survivors.

Outside of Zips "free 1ss upgrade that is still 1ss for schemes" I keep it down to 1 a-pop.

And before people start screaming about Pere being OP and too good for gremlins, look at Papa-Loco.

Guild version has more wounds/better attack/does not need to cast the explode/and give that passive damage flip buff for 1 more SS. Will gladly trade any day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edopersichetti said:

The thing that surprised me the most? 0 Guild players. ZERO. I stand convinced the latest Guild incarnation has a lot of potential in GG2018, but of course, if no one plays the faction, we can't really judge how good/bad it is...

We got Bokor and they Monster hunters. 😔😭