Zipp wins UK Masters gg2018

Somnicide

I don't think anyone said it was only the list. As a player on a different continent with no knowledge of the player himself all I can really look at is the list/master and the scenario. I have no doubt that every player at the tournament is a talented player. 

Based on the complaints of the last several weeks it is a surprise and exciting to see a gremlin player excel at a major event.

Was the game on Twitch or recorded anywhere? If so, then we could discuss more the choices the player made. Otherwise all we have to go on is scenario, master and list. 

I think that a master from Gremlins winning a major selective event is a talking point for the gremlin forum.

I'm not surprised he used Zipp. He is IMO strongest master in GG18 we have. I'm very interested in his crew composition although i suspect he used narrow number of models (Fingers, Merris, Trixie, Bugs, Survivors, Burt/Taxidermist, Iron Skeeter, maybe 1-2 Bayou Gremlins).

Well done anyway!

• Like 1

He played Zipp and Somer. Not 100% for lists for the pool round, but day 2 he played vs Lynch/Molly/Nico i believe playing Somer/Somer/Zipp

Below are example of his lists. He took the middle one vs Nico in the finals (with DC over DO on zipp cause of eliminate)

Overall, major props to Lucas. I think it was a combination of Skill, list building, and surprises. In talking to him he felt he caught a lot of people off guard (which is odd given nationals but even Varney admitted he didnt know how zipp worked) with things they havent seen. 

My impression (being the one who claimed doom and gloom), we will have to see how the year plans out. I think Lucas is dropping gremlins for Neverborn. GG18 is fresh enough and it seems like the surprises were enough (along with good play). Not sure it will work all year, but we will see. Can't say ill be sad if proven wrong :)

27497913_10155517681158323_213688839_n.jpg?oh=51cb63d862742122d15bc7753af29fd3&oe=5A7156DB27496093_10155517674228323_1407552905_n.jpg?oh=5395af104dd9488d0d004a0f1da13164&oe=5A71432927400306_10155517675988323_644667757_n.jpg?oh=92fd6cdb8c301e7def523285d6c63c54&oe=5A7181F4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sergrum said:

He played Zipp and Somer. Not 100% for lists for the pool round, but day 2 he played vs Lynch/Molly/Nico i believe playing Somer/Somer/Zipp

Below are example of his lists. He took the middle one vs Nico in the finals (with DC over DO on zipp cause of eliminate)

Overall, major props to Lucas. I think it was a combination of Skill, list building, and surprises. In talking to him he felt he caught a lot of people off guard (which is odd given nationals but even Varney admitted he didnt know how zipp worked) with things they havent seen. 

My impression (being the one who claimed doom and gloom), we will have to see how the year plans out. I think Lucas is dropping gremlins for Neverborn. GG18 is fresh enough and it seems like the surprises were enough (along with good play). Not sure it will work all year, but we will see. Can't say ill be sad if proven wrong :)

27497913_10155517681158323_213688839_n.jpg?oh=51cb63d862742122d15bc7753af29fd3&oe=5A7156DB27496093_10155517674228323_1407552905_n.jpg?oh=5395af104dd9488d0d004a0f1da13164&oe=5A71432927400306_10155517675988323_644667757_n.jpg?oh=92fd6cdb8c301e7def523285d6c63c54&oe=5A7181F4

Can u share other players Factions/masters,  crew lists and places? Would be wonderful! 

It wasn`t the Nationals. It was UK Masters. Basically top 16 players from 2017 were invited, divided into 4 groups of 4 and played each other in groups. Top 2 out of each group went to playoffs (8 players) that had a single elimination tournament.

Gremlins also won a 28 people tournament in Poland and I think @edopersichetti was second at LVO ;)

• Like 2

bah, he is just Pere bombing. It is very very strong but you need those 6+ tomes.

Last Adepticon I tied key game because of that (other reasons too but)

T1 6 cards + stone for 2 + do over 2

T2 win initiative 6 more card + stone for 2 more

total 18 cards and did not get a single 6+ tome.

Still a gimmick and most likely the next thing we will see nerfed ( making Pere HT2 )

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, trikk said:

Gremlins also won a 28 people tournament in Poland and I think @edopersichetti was second at LVO ;)

Don't forget to add that the player who won that tourney is one of the best players in Poland (expert in Gremlins as far as i remember) and he played lots of GG18 games already.

Details maybe but IMO significant ones.

21 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

Don't forget to add that the player who won that tourney is one of the best players in Poland (expert in Gremlins as far as i remember) and he played lots of GG18 games already.

Details maybe but IMO significant ones.

Do we expect bad players to win now :P? Also how often do  you see a mediocre player winning a tournament just because he plays a certain faction? ;)

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, PolishSausage said:

bah, he is just Pere bombing. It is very very strong but you need those 6+ tomes.

Last Adepticon I tied key game because of that (other reasons too but)

T1 6 cards + stone for 2 + do over 2

T2 win initiative 6 more card + stone for 2 more

total 18 cards and did not get a single 6+ tome.

Still a gimmick and most likely the next thing we will see nerfed ( making Pere HT2 )

I know very very little about zipp. Could you explain how this list is working and how you re supposed to win with that. I imagine you throw pere in and explose but how exactly? I mean i'm very surprised by oldmajor+saddle when you already have an iron skeeter. Very surpised by student of conflict also, how do you move her along?

And how can you get the models you want with pere and can you hit more than one?

Sorry for having so many question but i'm very very unfamiliar with zipp and this playstyle.

There are different ways of delivery out there /pigaplult&ophelia / just ophelia / mah/ zoraida / skeeters / lenny / gracy 

The bottom line of the tactic is:

1) out activate your opponent.

2) give "poorly handled explosive condition" to pere ( if he dies with it, he generates pulse2 " 4dmg)

3) You can Fast a skeeter ( 2nd one) with either student or sparks and move pere 18" forward.

4) Pere gets in the position to be within 2" of as many enemy models as possible, and does his explosion ( you need 2x 6+ of tomes to get this off for max damage)

5) A LOT of models take check that does damage, than Pere kills himself and pulses 2x for 2" dmg 4

If someone does not know this is going to happen can potentially lose majority of his crew T1

What Wambo's this list the hardest is activation control and shooters/Obeys

Also you rely on getting the Tome in your hand. ( one high tome is all you need to detonate Pere as skeeter with a RAM on delivery can damage him for the push)

1 hour ago, Aegnor said:

I know very very little about zipp. Could you explain how this list is working and how you re supposed to win with that. I imagine you throw pere in and explose but how exactly? I mean i'm very surprised by oldmajor+saddle when you already have an iron skeeter. Very surpised by student of conflict also, how do you move her along?

And how can you get the models you want with pere and can you hit more than one?

Sorry for having so many question but i'm very very unfamiliar with zipp and this playstyle.

He also built this list knowing he was going to play against Nico. The Student of Conflict is there to make Zipp fast so he can get to nico and knock him out of position as fast as possible. He also got a nice RJ on the drop damage vs Nico too which pushed the game into his favor pretty hard. Jamie has said on AWP that he made a mistake reading Zipp's card and brought Anna to stop his walk away trigger thinking it was a place. 

Very solid game with 2 very solid players. 

BTW Zipp is absolutely your best master in gg18. He can stop ply and wagons with his interact aura. Knock key models out of position and generally just be an obnoxious git while the rest of his crew takes out yours.

2 hours ago, trikk said:

Do we expect bad players to win now :P? Also how often do  you see a mediocre player winning a tournament just because he plays a certain faction? ;)

No. we expect people who played 20+ games in GG18 winning in tournaments at the start of the year when other players have way less games played in the same format.

As for mediocre player question - me :)

23 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

No. we expect people who played 20+ games in GG18 winning in tournaments at the start of the year when other players have way less games played in the same format.

As for mediocre player question - me :)

Most of our higher-ranked players have around 10-15 games already.