New player - Best Way to Expand (Jack / Outcasts)

andrewgeddon

Hello all! So I'm a long time miniature player, but totally fresh when it comes to Malifaux (2 games played so far). I picked up the Jack Daw box solely on the basis that he looked cool, played a game, and now I'm hooked. Since then I've picked up some extra boxes to help give me options: Johan, Nurses, Dead Outlaws, Sue, and Jaakuna Ubume.

I've recently purge down to just 2 miniature games (one being Malifaux), so I have some disposable income. I'm wondering, what's the best way for a newbie to expand? At this stage do I just keep on adding on the odd Tormented / Outcast model and just focus on mastering (no pun intended) Jack? Would it be better to pick up a couple of other master boxes so I have more options? If so, who (if anyone) pairs well with Jack?

Thanks all!

One problem with the Outcast faction is the lack of overlap between their different crews. I can't really think of one that has models Jack Daw wants to run. Personally, from a fun stand point, I'd pick up the Crossroad 7. They are really fun models and play well with Jack and some of them you can slot into other crews as well. If you want another crew for variety you can pick up any crew really but Hamelin WILL require some additional purchases :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jinx said:

One problem with the Outcast faction is the lack of overlap between their different crews. I can't really think of one that has models Jack Daw wants to run. Personally, from a fun stand point, I'd pick up the Crossroad 7. They are really fun models and play well with Jack and some of them you can slot into other crews as well. If you want another crew for variety you can pick up any crew really but Hamelin WILL require some additional purchases :)

Appreciate the suggestions! I had been looking at the Crossroad 7 as I saw a lot of people recommending them,  but it seems the box is out of production? Can't find it anywhere online or locally. 

8 hours ago, andrewgeddon said:

Appreciate the suggestions! I had been looking at the Crossroad 7 as I saw a lot of people recommending them,  but it seems the box is out of production? Can't find it anywhere online or locally. 

Got the same problems, seems so.

If you're on a limited budget I would skip the crossroad 7 for now. They are VERY interesting and fun and they benefit from the Creeping Terror upgrade, but they're also usually not worth their cost compared to other models right now and they're quite squishy. Out of all of them you will sometimes use Lust, Greed, and Envy. Rarely Gluttony. The others pretty much never. Jaakuna Ubume is a good purchase. 

I think the midnight stalker is going to see a good amount of play in all outcast masters, so you might want to grab him. Marlena Webster (coming out next month) will let you play Jack in a very aggressive way. The Hodgepodge Emissary comes with a VERY good curse for Jack if you want to play him in a more supporty style where you place a bunch of curses on enemy models to tax the opponent and let the rest of your crew hit (Those min dmg 3 Dead outlaws are awesome).

If you want to get another Box, Von Schill is pretty good right now (With the new upgrade) and he gives you the Trapper and the Librarian. Both Von Schill and Jack also can use the Strongarm Suit very well too.

3 Models that can serve you well in both a Von Schill and Jack crew are the following : Hannah, Anna Lovelace, Lazarus. 
You can make Hannah tormented and increase her aura, speeding her up, and copying someone's Cast action (One of the only 2 ways I know of to get an extra cast of Greed's Ca attack).
Anna Lovelace has good range, doesn't randomize, is a mercenary, a Freikorps for Von Schill, and has a massive aura that prevents enemy pushes and placements.
Lazarus overall has a really good gun that can blast. If you are inclined to play Jack more as an obey master, ordering extra shots and copying his attack action on Jack himself can be scary, although very card intensive.

So I guess if you want overlap, Von Schill + the common models they like may be your best bet.

Now, If you really want to win, Hamelin is VERY strong, but no overlapping models generally speaking. You will also have to buy the "Brotherhood of the Rat" (IIRC) to get the other half of the rat engine he needs. People also don't like playing against him so, depending on how many people you play against, it might get old fast for your opponent/s.

Hope this helps with your next purchases!

• Like 2

On 27/01/2018 at 10:49 AM, andrewgeddon said:

At this stage do I just keep on adding on the odd Tormented / Outcast model and just focus on mastering (no pun intended) Jack?

Personally, I think that's a great idea, and there are plenty of Tormented models to keep you busy in the hobby for quite some time to come. I think a single Papa Loco miniature is fairly rare, because most of the people who buy the Perdita box want to use him. But if you can find a separate Papa Loco on eBay or a trading forum, that would probably be a great choice. You may also be able to find someone selling individual pieces from the Crossroad 7 box, so maybe you could just pick up Lust and/or Pride on their own, if you're lucky? 

Since you're playing an Outcast master, I also think you might get some good use out of Hans. A bit of sniper support to your Jack Daw crew could be handy in certain games.

If you do want to go down the road of buying another Outcast master's box, in my very inexperienced opinion, I think Leveticus' box could be a great choice.  Levi might be able to make good use of models with the Undead and/or Construct characteristic, which would include Montressor and the Guilty from your Jack Daw box. You would also have a good double up of using Dead Outlaws for either master, plus Crooked Men and The Hanged if you were to pick those up in future. Ditto Lazarus.

P.S. This article on Pull My Finger wiki names Taelor, Bishop, Rusty Alyce and Convict Gunslingers but doesn't mention Hans. https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Jack+Daw

Edited by Scatterbrain
Addendum
  • Like 2

Cheers for the advice all! Crossroads Seven is proving impossible to find, so I’m going to skip it for now, maybe revisit it if it ever comes back into production. I am planning on picking up some Drowned / Crooked Men to give me some more Tormented options. I’m also picking up the Hodgepodge Emissary bases on multiple recommendations, as well as Talos… because he looks cool and because I can get him at 50% off, heh.

With these purchases, I’ve got some money left over still, and I’m looking at possibly dipping into a 2nd master. Listened to the Schemes and Stones episode on Park Barrows, and it seems I’ve got most of what I would need to run him by just picking up the crew box, since I’ve already got Sue / Johan and am picking up the Emissary. I’m wondering if Parker does enough “different” things from Jack to make it a worthwhile investment? I would like to get a master that can do the schemes that Jack isn’t good at.

On that note, ignoring the desire for overlapping models, what’s a good crew box to pick up that will be better at the schemes that Jack struggles with? Levi box looks like a lot of fun, and reading through some of his lists, I love the options that he brings. Being able to snag Rusty is also a bonus. I have an opportunity to grab some Hamlin stuff at somewhat of a discount (Plague Cometh + Brotherhood of the Rat), but it sounds like I’ll need several more purchases beyond that to make him “good?” Von Schill is off the table because he’s out of stock at where I’m ordering him from, and if I’m being honest, I think he looks a bit boring. My problem with picking Outcasts is that I think all the masters looks cool, except for Schill and Misaki, so I want to get them all, heh.

Gadzooks gaming usually has CR7 as single's. A tad bit pricey but worth it. When I played daw, lust & envy saw alot of table time. 

They joy of jack is that he can make any model tormented. With guilty at a reduced cost, they make interesting scheme runners but void wretches are still excellent to pad activations.

Dead Outlaws - Love these guys. Tough minions, tormented & they have "bigger" they are, but at ranged. Toss a curse on someone and they become min 3 shooty models and the trigger is built in. They also are fun with parker.

Sue is an allstar and making him tormented fixes some of his slowness (walk 4). Just be careful his man and black aura doesn't mess up your own casting actions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So in the end I think I'm going to focus on Jack for the time being and work on expanding out my Outcasts. Crossroad 7 are just a no go unless I stumble on them (Gadzooks was out of stock of most of them, and I can't really justify $25 each for them). So instead I ordered:

Talos (because 50% off + cool model = yeeeeeah!)
Crooked Men
Drowned
Hannah
Midnight Stalker
Malifaux Child

Ashes & Dust and Hodgepodge Emissary are probably next on the list :D

• Like 1