McTawish conversion help!

green-n-dumb

Hello!
I need a help with ideas on McTawish conversion.
I thought to put gremlin on crocodile and give him machine gun on his back but looks like it wont count as legal conversion for tournaments.
Do you have ideas how to get rid of that smelly drunkard and replace him with some almighty bayou warriors?

I thought about Raphael/Francois but its too expensive to buy one more Ophelia box just for one conversion.

xWiPT-onOnE[1].jpg

• Like 2

The conversion rules only get into no more then 33% can be non-wyrd parts...   it says nothing of *which* wyrd parts you use.  Your dream of Gatling gun gators could live on.

The real problem (and the one that we can't really help with ultimately) is it has to pass muster with your tournament organizer since it has to be "an accurate representation of the model portrayed".  And they may decide that "gremlin with a Gatling gun riding a gator" is a bridge too far.  Maybe pull some pieces from one of the Through the Breech Multipart kits?  I know they have a really good selection of bits on there (Gatling Gun).

Failing that, paint up a "standard" backup McTavish, so in case you go to a strange tournament (if you travel for tournaments) you won't be denied access to a piece you may come to rely on.

• Like 1

From what I've heard and experienced all tournament organisers are very generous with conversions and proxies.

This model fulfills the stricter requirements for conversions by being made from a majority of wyrd parts. Isn't that the actual gator from the McTavish kit even?

I'm always interested in conversion questions as I really enjoy converting and customizing models. Fortunately my community is really into conversions.

The box art of McTavish has him astride the Gator.

When I make a conversion I try to identify the key identifying parts of a model to ensure its accurate. For McTavish I think it's the Gator and his gun. You could ask your organizer what he thinks you should add.

As an aside, here's my guild medical conversion of McTavish.

large.5a0be75a24108_backL.jpg.bbb99c97e1eaa56f3ea176fdba8428d3.jpg

• Like 5

Still can't process this. What other model rides a damn gator on a 50mm base?! It's not like it looks like a whiskey golem or a war pig...

Considering that easter bunnies with gremlins on them are officially considered war pigs byWyrd I just don't get how this isn't McTavish enough? That is the benchmark for how obvious a conversion must be for me to allow it.

• Like 2

If you need to have a human on the model, then take some of the left over parts of McTavish and have the Gator eating him.

You could set this up as some plucky Gremlin and aspiring Gator-wrangler finally got the best of the old savvy swamp man.  Just put a few parts of McTavish sticking out of the gators open mouth.  Essentially you would have a little diorama.  I would think that this would end up rather amusing, very appropriate for Gremlins, and also easy for opponents to recognize.  

I heavily convert and scratch-build models and have for many years.  While I have not done so for Malifaux yet, I find that organizers for most other games are fairly lenient as long as the model fits the required parts rules and the intent about what the model represents is fairly clear.  I think your conversion would fit into that fairly well.  But rule of thumb for conversions and big events is to keep a back-up of the actual model if you are worried about proxy issues/disqualification.

On 1/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, RustAndTheCity said:

When I make a conversion I try to identify the key identifying parts of a model to ensure its accurate. For McTavish I think it's the Gator and his gun. You could ask your organizer what he thinks you should add.

I convert a lot of models, and I have a history in multiple games with little (and big) green men.  I love me some goblins of all types (gremlins count).  I agree with your point about identifying the key parts of the model.

I would say that the key parts to a recognizable McTavish are these:  his pet gator, the leash on the gator, his gun, and his hat.

Those would be the items I would copy to make a gremlin version of McTavish.  The WIP shown above has a gremlin riding a gator.  The Gator already has a collar, so I would add a chain to it for the leash.  The rider does not need to be holding it.  You can have it modeled as trailing in the wind as the gator runs and bucks - but I would put it on the model to identify that this is a pet Gator or possibly McTavish's stolen gator.  Giving the gremlin a gatling gun is probably fine, but I would personally cobble together a rifle or blunderbuss like the metal or plastic McTavish carries.  You could add it in a holster that is tied to the Gator and have the gremlin wielding a Gatling Gun if you wanted - but I would put the rifle someone on the model.  And finally, I would add McTavish's hat (or construct one that looks similar) onto the Gremlin and have him wearing it.

Take a look at the original metal Ophelia box set compared to the metal Perdita box set.  All of the models in that box are a 1:1 version of a Latigo family member.  They copy the important distinguishing ideas from those models and then put them onto a Gremlin in such a way that it was clear who they were pretending to be.  That is the idea that you should shoot for here.  The only one that did not have as many visual links was Pere -> Papa Loco, but even he was still fairly obvious.  So don't forget that hat!

• Like 1