Jump to content
Jesy Blue

Dual Faction Master Combinations We Don't Have... Yet!

Recommended Posts

I like the reasons as to why some masters are dual factions, whether the manipulation of the Ten Thunders or the one that just doesn't fit wholly into one faction, I'm wondering on the concepts between the combinations we don't have currently.  What kind of Master would you create to fill the role?

Arcanist/Resurrectionist

Arcanist/Outcast

Arcanist/Neverborn

Arcanist/Gremlin

Arcanist/Guild (you can just say Hoffman if you want)

Guild/Outcast

Guild/Gremlin

Gremlin/Ressurectionist

Gremlin/Outcast

Neverborn/Ressurectionist

Neverborn/Outcast

 
BONUS  <STORY SPOILERS!!!>-
Guild/Ressurectionsist - As the good doctor is no longer with the guild, could you find a good replacement?
Outcast/Ten Thunders - I've never understood Misaki as an Outcast, even less so with the fluff of Wave 5, so who could you create as a replacement?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for some time, Von Scrook was considered a possible excuse to unite Arcanists and Ressers, as an Academic master, but with Sandeep it has been discarded. Now, I could see some kind of Marcus friend, from the Order of the Chimera more obsessed with the forgotten creatures of Egypt, and he could be half Resser in that regard (for the inmortality and that stuff).

Arcanist/Outcast would be some kind of rogue spellcaster, but I remember some story in which a self-concious witchling stalker had scaped, and could see it.

I do not have any ideas about an Arcanist/Neverborn. Maybe Mr Cooper?

Arcaanist/gremlin... we could keep the Zipp department and hope for a "gremlin engeneer" or a human inventor in their society, but unlikely.

I hope to see a Master Taxidermist or Vodoo animator to join Ressers and Gremlins together (we want our gassers back!)

Hayreddin seems like a combination of Neverborn and Ressers, I think in the future he could become more relevant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the fluff behind the Gautreaux Bokor, I can see a Gremlin shaman becoming a vessel for part of the Grave Spirit's essence as a dual-faction model. With Gremlins apparently being vital to Malifaux's future, and less entwined in the Tyrants' manipulations, it might want a less conspicuous and more malleable pawn than Seamus or Titania.

An Arcanist/Neverborn master would probably fit the concept of the leader of the Court of Two - a Neverborn seeking to understand and influence how humans draw upon the aether (as distinct from the more primordial magics of the Neverborn). Alternately, they could be using the primordialist methods to create a sub-faction within the Arcanists, and possibly to split some away as Neverborn allies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than him being dead, I could see Raethford from one of the scenarios in Crossroads maybe being made into a a dual faction Arcanist/Outcast master.

I’m not sure why Sandeep would keep Von Shtook from being released as an Arcanist/Resser master.

 

Adding more dual faction masters seems to be going the opposite direction of what is happening in the fluff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/1/2018 at 1:43 PM, Jesy Blue said:

Arcanist/Outcast

 

The smugglers. They steal machinery from the mines and sell it to the underground economy. They could work wirth the gremlins too.

 

On 19/1/2018 at 1:43 PM, Jesy Blue said:

Arcanist/Resurrectionist

Arcanist/Guild (you can just say Hoffman if you want)

McMourning and Hoffman XD Or maybe Ironsides

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Guild/Outcasts i think about some sort of Black Ops specialist - Guild assasin who hires low-life thugs to help him do the job.

For Gremlins/Ressers some sort of either taxidermist or Voodoo witch. First one would be McMourning parody qnd second could be Nicodem wannabe.

I'm not sure about Outcasts/Neverborn (Nekima?) and Outcasts/Arcanists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised Hayreddin was only an enforcer, not a henchman or even a master. He would have made a neat neverborn/ressur. Judging by Titania's emergence from the pit as undead Lillith could be heading down that road too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think partially the reason Arcanists/Outcast isn't a thing yet, is because Arcanists ARE outcasts with a banner. Very hard to fit Outcast Masters with other factions thematically. I mean, Misaki doesn't make any sense, and Tara is only a resser cuz of Karina, she cares not for their banner at all. Which is kind of the point of outcasts. No allegiance. Or allegiance to something bigger in the case of Hamelins (to Plague) and Tara (to Obliteration). 

If I had to make one, I'd say maybe Myranda could go Outcast and move up to master, after being snubbed my Marcus or something. Beast master in outcast would be fun, especially if the theme is more shapechanger-y rather than just lots of big beasts.

 

I think most of you hit the gremlin ones on the head with Master Taxidermist for ressers. Sparks is practically Arcanists as is, and I doubt Guild would ever happen, unless they got unbelievably desperate. Ophelia and Somer USED to be Outcast, so they could probably just tack it back on one of them.

 

Everyone says Hayreddin, which could make sense if Titania we're to possibly bring him back into the Neverborn fold. Lilith personally exiled him so I doubt she'd be the one to reverse the decision. The only issue I'd see is overlap with Titania at that point, who already has the undead schtick. His Vitality Mechanic could be played up though, somewhat like Yan Lo's Chi. So rather than actually summoning, corpses sustain and empower him directly. Could be fun to have a big strong Nephilim in Ressers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2018 at 4:43 PM, Jesy Blue said:

BONUS  <STORY SPOILERS!!!>-

Guild/Ressurectionsist - As the good doctor is no longer with the guild, could you find a good replacement?
Outcast/Ten Thunders - I've never understood Misaki as an Outcast, even less so with the fluff of Wave 5, so who could you create as a replacement?

 

Misaki is related to the outcasts because she first came over to Malifaux as an individual. Her Minion model in 1st edition was an outcast Merc. 

Plus she seems to do a fair amount of rebelling against her father.  I Imagine she hangs out with her friends, the Viks, over tea talking what she would do if it wasn't for her father. 

And yes I have read broken promises...

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, SAYNE said:

If I had to make one, I'd say maybe Myranda could go Outcast and move up to master, after being snubbed my Marcus or something. Beast master in outcast would be fun, especially if the theme is more shapechanger-y rather than just lots of big beasts.

Myranda going to Outcasts would be odd since they are the only faction to currently have no models with the Beast characteristic. Every Beast she hired would need to be infiltrated or a merc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the new Crockett guy in Arcanists has the ability to give models the beast characteristic, perhaps it could be used similarly? Or perhaps we're sticking too much to a characteristic theme, there may be enough to even make a full summoner off of it, looking at most beast SS cost. Idk, fluff wise I could see it but you're right that gameplay it doesn't hold a lot of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see Heyridden become a Ressers-Neverborn master. That guy just has so much potential for awesomeness! 

And yeah, linking him up with Titania would totally float my boat! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arcanist/Resurrectionist: Prof. Albus Von Schtook, easy.  Sandeep's intro story showed that he and 'Deep are happy-ish to work together, or are at least on chatting terms.

Arcanist/Outcast: I kind of see this as someone who, like Johan, has connections to the M&SU (or something) but doesn't really belong there anymore.  Or someone who's like "hey, with Titania coming I think I'm going to side with the multiple Tyrants who are kind-of-sort-of buddying up over here."

Arcanist/Neverborn: Honestly, make Marcus dual-faction NVB.  He already has a relationship with some of their models, and he's clearly interested in Titania's weird forest in the fluff.

Arcanist/Gremlin: *Shrug*?

Arcanist/Guild: I'd say Hoff but he's still a bit too "good" to join in I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, retnab said:

Arcanist/Resurrectionist: Prof. Albus Von Schtook, easy.  Sandeep's intro story showed that he and 'Deep are happy-ish to work together, or are at least on chatting terms.

Arcanist/Outcast: I kind of see this as someone who, like Johan, has connections to the M&SU (or something) but doesn't really belong there anymore.  Or someone who's like "hey, with Titania coming I think I'm going to side with the multiple Tyrants who are kind-of-sort-of buddying up over here."

Arcanist/Neverborn: Honestly, make Marcus dual-faction NVB.  He already has a relationship with some of their models, and he's clearly interested in Titania's weird forest in the fluff.

Arcanist/Gremlin: *Shrug*?

Arcanist/Guild: I'd say Hoff but he's still a bit too "good" to join in I think.

That list looks solid.

Arcanist/Outcast: In about half the fluff stories about Rasputina it seems like she’s fighting Ramos. She’s always off doing her own thing instead of directly supporting either the Union or the brave Arcanist freedom fighters.

Arcanist/Gremlins: My vote here would be Zipp since his crew box is really construct heavy and he and The Captain could bond over airships. Mostly it’s because I want an excuse to buy and paint Zipp’s crew and I don’t want to start collecting Gremlins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arcanist/Gremlin: we Greens have been getting a few suspiciously Arcanist-y models lately (Sparks & Mechanized Porkchop being "Foundry", and others that use Burning when there's no in-faction synergy with Burning), so I suspect this may be in the works already. Also, this combo is the only one glaringly missing (every other non-10T faction already has 3 dual Masters).

But a Rezzer/Gremlin voodoo dude would be sweet. There seems to be a LOT of support for this one. I don't necessarily think the game *needs* more Masters... But it does need this 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

... every other non-10T faction already has 3 dual Masters ...

Am I missing something? 


3 dual faction masters: 
Guild: Lucius, McCabe, McMourning
Neverborn: Lynch, Lucius, Zoaira
Ressers: McMourning, Yan Lo, Tara

2 dual faction masters: 

Gremlins: Brewmaster, Zoraida
Outcasts: Misaki, Tara

1 dual faction masters: 
Arcanists: Mei Feng

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Am I missing something? 


3 dual faction masters: 
Guild: Lucius, McCabe, McMourning
Neverborn: Lynch, Lucius, Zoaira

2 dual faction masters: 
Ressers: McMourning, Yan Lo
Gremlins: Brewmaster, Zoraida

1 dual faction masters: 
Arcanists: Mei Feng
Outcasts: Misaki

Outcasts / Rezzer - Tara

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Flinroz said:

Outcasts / Rezzer - Tara

 

So, if there was an Arcanist/Outcast and an Arcanist/Gremlin master then every non-Ten Thunders faction would have 3 dual faction maters.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WWHSD said:

So, if there was an Arcanist/Outcast and an Arcanist/Gremlin master then every non-Ten Thunders faction would have 3 dual faction maters.

Oh wow! I completely missed that Arcanists only have the one infiltrator. Well now - there's where to focus attentions.  I reckon Kaeris might go a little renegade in order to "spread her wings" a little, chafing under the leadership of Ironside...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Oh wow! I completely missed that Arcanists only have the one infiltrator. Well now - there's where to focus attentions.  I reckon Kaeris might go a little renegade in order to "spread her wings" a little, chafing under the leadership of Ironside...

I think if any current Arcanist master was going to become dual faction with Outcasts I think it would be Rasputina. It seems like every other story she shows up in the fluff she’s a thorn in Ramos’s side. She hangs out with a cult of cannibals that live outside of society. She kind of has Outcast written all over her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

I think if any current Arcanist master was going to become dual faction with Outcasts I think it would be Rasputina. It seems like every other story she shows up in the fluff she’s a thorn in Ramos’s side. She hangs out with a cult of cannibals that live outside of society. She kind of has Outcast written all over her.

It's true, she's not exactly "one of the lads". Neither's Marcus much, tho. Last I read about him, he was stealing a Rogue Necromancy away from McMourning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arcanists are historically a funny thing. The original 3 masters were Rasputina, Ramos and Marcus, but the next 4 masters they gained all were directly connected to Ramos and his Miners and Steamfitters (Colette smuggles them out for him, Kaeris and Ironsides were both his enforcers to the union, and Mei worked for him on the rail roads) . This has lead to a faction where 2 of its original members look like they don't fit.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more pure mages could maybe do their own thing and m&su could stay under the arcaniat name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×