Novice tournament, need help.

DarthSlider

Hello, guys. I'm planning to participate in novice tournament and I need help making a crew.

It has special deckbuilding rules: Any starter + 2 any boxes (except Emissaries).

I never played real malifaux games with my own crew, but I have some minis for painting purpose, so I want to ask you to help me make a crew.

Here is a list of mini I have: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HKRyI6FUQcpNcLuBnhignfw6b7qjiZ0q6KaUnzLivEo/edit?usp=sharing

It would be really cool to use Hired Swords starter because it's the only one that painted for now, but playing good by a novice pilot is a top priority.

Any upgrades except wave 5 are usable, 35SS limit.

Thanks in advance!

Playing good by a  novice pilot is a hard call for any crew box. Viks are fairly straightforward in their Plan, you want to kill stuff, but there is skill in knowing when to pull the trigger on rushing in to kill stuff, because its not that likely they will survive themselves. 

You can certainly use the hired swords, and that leaves you a choice of 2 from Johanna, Sue and Vanessa to give you your pool. (I guess as a technicality you could use rat catchers or performers as a box purchase if you want)

A possible list would then be

Vik Blood,  Sister in Fury, Oathkeeper, Sister in Spirit

Vik Ash , Mark of Shezull, Tally sheet

Student of conflict

Vanessa Oath keeper

Johanna Oath Keeper

Ronin. 

But I would personally switch around upgrades and exact crew composition to match stratergyand schemes. If you've never played before and are worried about rules overload then using 2 or 3 Ronin may make your life easier because they all use the same rules so you don't have to learn as much

@Adran, thanks!

I also have Hannah, forget to add to her to the list. 

Also it’s legal to play unpainted minis so it’s possible to use whatever starter i have. I could even buy something if it would greatly improve my team.

Another question, i saw quite a lot neverborn players registered to this event. Is it good idea to use Tarlir against them?

Also is it legal to change your crew setup between games?

The standard malifaux set up is to set the terms of the game before you decide on a faction (define terrain, get strategy and scheme pool etc.), and then  you both declare factions, and only then do you pick your crew. 

At tournaments things might be slightly different (you are probably forced to play the same faction every round in most events,) so you would have to check the event pack to be sure, but from my reading of what you said, you have the contents of 3 boxes that is the pool of available models to select your crew from, but it can be any mix of those models and available upgrades. 

In my opinion you could enter this event with hired swords and any 2 purchased boxes they can hire, and do fine. (In most cases any master box and 2 legal for them boxes would be fine) There is not 1 Box that is essential for them, and what will make the biggest difference at the moment is how well you understand your crew. That is because Player skill (and player comfort in their crew) are much bigger effects on the outcome, than just having the best set of models possible.