Would this “fix” Gunsmiths?

WWHSD

This idea struck me tonight and I figured I’d toss it out here.

Would a lot of the Gunsmith’s issues be fixed if Switch Chambers was more like Tools For The Job from the Steamfitter?

If letting Gunsmiths pull a card off of the discard pile makes them too good maybe a blend of the two abilities might be a good way to go.

Instead of it being a 0AP Tactical Action, maybe have it be an ability that triggers at the start of the Gunsmith’s activation:

”When this model activate you may discard a card. Until the start of this model’s next activation it may add the suit of the discarded card to all of it’s final duel totals”

It seems like this would do a couple of things. The first is that it would free up the Gunsmith’s zero action to use Hard Way. The second is that it allows the Gunsmith to get a built in defensive trigger against attacks that occur before he activates in a turn. A straight up copy of Tools For The Job (the name even fits the Gunsmith) would have the added advantage of making him less card hungry.

Would this be enough to get the Gunsmith on the table more without making them too strong or would the Gunsmith’s still stay in people’s cases because there are better models in that price range that fill the same role?

• Like 2

i wouldn't mind if it was a 0 action, because then you choose between auto-triggers and throw all the cards and win but with possible trigger.

what i hate the most is giving a card for activation only, if it was until next activation i'd be fine with the ability and would think it's okay :)

45 minutes ago, Trample said:

It's a good idea. I think they would be good at their cost and make it into a lot of lists if they were 3/3/4 instead of 2/3/4. I still don't think that makes them as good as monster hunters at a point less, but I would use them with Ironsides. 

3/3/4 would make them a cheaper and ranged version of Joss. same dmg track and if using the right trigger through luck or (0) discard you get negation to armor and stuff too.

i'd rather see gunsmith be a 2/4/5 than 3/3/4

On 1/19/2018 at 10:15 AM, Thottbot said:

i wouldn't mind if it was a 0 action, because then you choose between auto-triggers and throw all the cards and win but with possible trigger.

what i hate the most is giving a card for activation only, if it was until next activation i'd be fine with the ability and would think it's okay :)

Both of their zero actions only lasting until the end of the turn seems like it’s a big hit for these guys. It forces them to activated early if you want to benefit defensively from either of them.

I think that Kaeris in particular already has enough going on that kind of forces your hand with activation order that adding other models that want to be activated at a specific time in the round doesn’t help much.

14 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

If gunslingers were 6ss (assuming they removed h2k for that price) I would probably play them more often. Just my two cents. They are solid for 6, too much work for 7. 

If they removed Hard To Kill, I'd think that they'd need to get knocked down by more that 1 stone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrbedlam said:

I mean I can only assume that the reason they are 7ss is because they have H2k. Otherwise they function at about the realm of a 6ss model

The Gunsmith with Hard to Kill at 6SS seems in-line with the new batch of 6SS models that dropped in book 5 (and some that became 6SS with the recent errata).  It might actually still be a little lacking compared to them. The Monster Hunter is pretty easy to compare to the Gunsmith because they have a similar stat-line and attack. If both of them were 6SS, I think that most people would rather take the Monster Hunter.

I don’t think a 1SS reduction is enough to get them on the table much. I’d rather see them get better and stay at 7SS.

• Like 1