#1 with a Bullet - A Perdita journal

jchrisobrien

3 hours ago, jchrisobrien said:

What's also nice is he doesn't randomize into family members, so if he's close enough you can send Francisco/Perdita in to fight, then companion into Santiago and keep pitching rams until the target is dead (or they push away or whatever).  It could be good!

I had this idea about using Santiago with Lucius and a doppleganger. Lucius can use ss to get him to the sweet spot once you've made sure there aren't immediate threats to Santiago and you never randomize for the dopple. Never got around to trying it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I had this idea about using Santiago with Lucius and a doppleganger. Lucius can use ss to get him to the sweet spot once you've made sure there aren't immediate threats to Santiago and you never randomize for the dopple. Never got around to trying it.

The never randomize for the Doppel is nice, but I find that I don't really want my doppel engaged if I can help it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for slipping on this, but I should post my final game from CaptainCon before the month is out!
I played a newer player named Noah.

Perdita vs Tara
Flank Headhunter: Eliminate the Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Show of Force, Recover Evidence, Vendetta

Perdita - Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Trick Shooting
The Jury - Numb to the World, Debt to the Guild
Francisco - Wade In, Debt to the Guild
Abuela Ortega - dttg
Guild Austringer
Brutal Effigy
Field Reporter
Enslaved Nephilhim

Tara - Emptiness, Obliteration Symbiote, Dead of Winter, Knowledge of Eternity
The Nothing Beast - Void Shield
Sue
3 Death Marshals
2 Void Wretches

How it Went Down:  Most of my crew moved towards the north of the table, shooting down the void wretches and death marshal that got too close.  He sent two marshals to the south heading towards my deployment zone. The Nothing Beast charged in and brought Francisco to Hard to Kill, but failed to kill him.  Francisco and the Jury teamed up to finish off the Nothing Beast while Abuela and the Effigy moved in to drop breakthrough markers.  The last few turns saw Tara and Perdita dueling in hand-to-hand combat, where he used her "hole in the middle" ability to make Perdita miss every shot against her! 

Final Score: Perdita 9 (Headhunter 3, Covert Breakthrough 3, Show of Force 3) Tara 4 (Headhunter 2, Covert Breakthrough 2)

The game went very well!  My ability to move people around with pushes and "polite pushes" made it easy to get to Noah's deployment zone.  Show of Force was easy to get as he had no one to resist it.  The last two rounds fighting Tara was silly fun.  I could have made more of an effort to let other models deal with Tara while Perdita hunted those corrupted marshals.  Shooting Cans would have been an amazing upgrade for this last round, I'll have to start taking it more.

I finished CaptainCon with two wins, two losses, and one draw.  My two losses were to the current CaptainCon winner (Alex Schmid) and last year's winner (Grrn).  I finished in the middle of the field, but it was still enough to win the Best in Faction award for the Guild!

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jchrisobrien said:

Apologies for slipping on this, but I should post my final game from CaptainCon before the month is out!
I played a newer player named Noah.

Perdita vs Tara
Flank Headhunter: Eliminate the Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Show of Force, Recover Evidence, Vendetta

Perdita - Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Trick Shooting
The Jury - Numb to the World, Debt to the Guild
Francisco - Wade In, Debt to the Guild
Abuela Ortega - dttg
Guild Austringer
Brutal Effigy
Field Reporter
Enslaved Nephilhim

Tara - Emptiness, Obliteration Symbiote, Dead of Winter, Knowledge of Eternity
The Nothing Beast - Void Shield
Sue
3 Death Marshals
2 Void Wretches

How it Went Down:  Most of my crew moved towards the north of the table, shooting down the void wretches and death marshal that got too close.  He sent two marshals to the south heading towards my deployment zone. The Nothing Beast charged in and brought Francisco to Hard to Kill, but failed to kill him.  Francisco and the Jury teamed up to finish off the Nothing Beast while Abuela and the Effigy moved in to drop breakthrough markers.  The last few turns saw Tara and Perdita dueling in hand-to-hand combat, where he used her "hole in the middle" ability to make Perdita miss every shot against her! 

Final Score: Perdita 9 (Headhunter 3, Covert Breakthrough 3, Show of Force 3) Tara 4 (Headhunter 2, Covert Breakthrough 2)

The game went very well!  My ability to move people around with pushes and "polite pushes" made it easy to get to Noah's deployment zone.  Show of Force was easy to get as he had no one to resist it.  The last two rounds fighting Tara was silly fun.  I could have made more of an effort to let other models deal with Tara while Perdita hunted those corrupted marshals.  Shooting Cans would have been an amazing upgrade for this last round, I'll have to start taking it more.

I finished CaptainCon with two wins, two losses, and one draw.  My two losses were to the current CaptainCon winner (Alex Schmid) and last year's winner (Grrn).  I finished in the middle of the field, but it was still enough to win the Best in Faction award for the Guild!

Thanks for reading!

Facing Alex and grrn is a tough draw.  I've played grrn a couple times and he's whipped me repeatedly.

Standard Symbols of Authority
Punish the Weak, Hold Up Their Forces, Inescapable Trap, Search the Ruins, Vendetta,

Perdita: Fastest draw in Malifaux, Trick Shooting, Aura Ancestral
Francisco: Wade In, Debt to the Guild
The Jury: Numb to the World
Abuela Ortega
2 Monster Hunters
Brutal Effigy
Enslaved Nephilhim

Nicodem: circuling buzzards, maniacal laugh, something else
Malifaux Child
Phillip and the Nanny
Asura Roten
Carrion Emissary
Hayreddin
Jaakuna Ubume
Necropunk

How it Went Down:  I moved pretty aggressivly up the center of the board, scoring Vendetta on turn 2 when a Monster Hunter killed his Emissary.  Phillip and the Nanny died on turn 3, along with some summoned models.  I flip a symbol on turn 3 also.  The rest of the game is him bogging down and burying my models under a wave of undead.  I was spread out and he killed a lot, which made it hard to score Hold Up Their Forces.
He grabbed an easy 3 for Search the Ruins; I scored 3 easy for Punish the Weak.  He ended up flipping all of my markers but he did it all in two turns, so he shorted himself a point.

Final Score: Perdita 7 (Symbols 1, Punish 3, Vendetta 3) Nicodem (Symbols 3, Hold Up 1, Search 3)

A draw!  Since this is against my nemesis opponent, I'm beyond happy over the results.

Out of all the Guild masters, I'm having the best results with Perdita this far out. Fastest Draw turned several losing rounds into ties on the initiative flips.  The next time Guarded Treasure is in the pool, I'm going to give Shooting Cans a try.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jchrisobrien said:

Standard Symbols of Authority
Punish the Weak, Hold Up Their Forces, Inescapable Trap, Search the Ruins, Vendetta,

Perdita: Fastest draw in Malifaux, Trick Shooting, Aura Ancestral
Francisco: Wade In, Debt to the Guild
Abuela Ortega
2 Monster Hunters
Brutal Effigy
Enslaved Nephilhim

Nicodem: circuling buzzards, maniacal laugh, something else
Malifaux Child
Phillip and the Nanny
Asura Roten
Carrion Emissary
Hayreddin
Jaakuna Ubume
Necropunk

How it Went Down:  I moved pretty aggressivly up the center of the board, scoring Vendetta on turn 2 when a Monster Hunter killed his Emissary.  Phillip and the Nanny died on turn 3, along with some summoned models.  I flip a symbol on turn 3 also.  The rest of the game is him bogging down and burying my models under a wave of undead.  I was spread out and he killed a lot, which made it hard to score Hold Up Their Forces.
He grabbed an easy 3 for Search the Ruins; I scored 3 easy for Punish the Weak.  He ended up flipping all of my markers but he did it all in two turns, so he shorted himself a point.

Final Score: Perdita 7 (Symbols 1, Punish 3, Vendetta 3) Nicodem (Symbols 3, Hold Up 1, Search 3)

A draw!  Since this is against my nemesis opponent, I'm beyond happy over the results.

Out of all the Guild masters, I'm having the best results with Perdita this far out. Fastest Draw turned several losing rounds into ties on the initiative flips.  The next time Guarded Treasure is in the pool, I'm going to give Shooting Cans a try.

What are you using for MH proxies? I want to give them a Go.

Last Saturday I took part in a 16 player Malifaux tournament in RI.  You had to play a fixed list for all the games (no changing) so I decided to use Perdita!

Perdita: Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Trick Shooting
Francisco: Wade In, A Debt to the Guild
Abuela Ortega
2 Monster Hunters (Anita and Ruiz)
Brutal Effigy
Enslaved Nephilim

I'll list the schemes with this format:  scheme (my score: their score) If a scheme doesn't have a bracket, no one took it.

First game vs McMourning.  Close Public Executions: (1:2) Eliminate the Leadership (3:0), Set  Up (0:2), Recover Evidence, Vendetta (1:0), Public Demonstration. 

McMourning, Sebastian, Asura Roten, Rafkin, Zombie Chihuahua, Kentauri,  Nurse, 2 Canine Remains

I deployed first, keeping my models 6" from the table edge in the center.  My opponent deployed his whole crew in a very tight ball 12" on the very left edge of the table.  The entire game basically took place in one quarter of the table!  My opponent used his kentauri to drag McMourning forward then launched McMourning at my crew.  I weathered his charge then proceeded to attack him with Perdita, Francisco, and the Jury.  McMourning didn't last long!   The Jury was working overtime healing models and removing the Poison condition from them.  He tied up my crew with Rafkin and a summoned flesh construct, but I did manage to wound Asura with a Hunter to get the winning point.  I should have killed more of his cheap models to win Public Execution more often but most of his models had a lot of wounds to chew through.  Asura is a really easy model to kill, a good target for Vendetta.

Games two and three coming soon!

Second game vs. Pandora. Standard Ply, Surround Them, Undercover Entourage (2:0), Show of Force (3:0), Take Prisoner (0:2), Vendetta  

Pandora, Widow Weaver, Lilitu, Insidious Madness, Tuco, Baby Kade, 2 Will o Wisps

I kept my crew deployed tight in the center again, with the monster hunters on either side.  My opponent moved his widow weaver a little too far forward, and a monster hunter and Perdita killed it.  It turns out that was his undercover entourage model (mine was Perdita). I dropped a lot of fire on Pandora and after an absolutely crazy flip from Abuela (severe damage from the gun and red joker on the slug) blew her up!  I was a very bad match up for his crew, because he hand to get close to me to Ply and the like, and I could shoot him from range.  We ended up tying on Ply every single round, so that part of the game was very cagey.  I should try staying at range in this scenario, and if I'm in close always Ply first then attack.  One thing that went really well is chain activations.  I usually led with the Effigy then Accompliced into a Monster Hunter.  I'd then go with another model then companion into Perdita, then another model and companion in Francisco.  That can be a very effective one-two punch to take out a model that (ideally) hasn't activated yet, which helps out with activation control.

I was one of the four players with two wins going into game 3!

Last game vs. Reva.  Corner Ours (0:4), Guarded Treasure (3:3), Covert Breakthrough (0:3), Dig Their Graves, Show of Force (0:2), Public Demonstration. 

Reva, Datsue Ba, Phillip and the Nanny, 2 Lampads, Shikome, one other high point model

Both of us had the same basic idea: Send most of your crew towards the corner and start guarding that treasure while sending a few other models to screw with things.  Reva used her Blood Mark to make them take use their own 0 push, then the lampads used it again on their activation, and them moved.  They flew across the board (and through my own models) and easily scored Covert Breakthrough.  I sent a monster hunter and Perdita to the deal with most of his minions, but the effigy didn't follow along, which was a big mistake.  Perdita did a lot of wounds and killed Datsue Ba but wasn't able to heal, so the lampads wore her down.
A smaller mistake was agonizing over whether to use Trick Shooting to nullify cover (Datsue was in a woods) or incorporeal (which Datsue is). I chose ignore cover and eventually killed her.  The correct answer to my dilemma was choose incorporeal, Obey her out of the woods, and smoke her in two shots!  People might frown on me for choosing Show of Force, but I almost scored full points if I didn't have some terrain issues.  You can be pretty confidant your opponent won't go for it, which means one model gets you three easy points.  Playing this game definitely cemented a plan on how to play this scenario:  Use Abuela as one of your Guards, sit her in a corner and use her Obey on family members withing 12".  The Jury can sit inside the center to score Show of Force (add lead lined coat to her numb upgrade for more durability) and drop Guarded Treasure markers.  The rest of the crew goes on a murdering spree!

I was very satisfied with her performance and really enjoy playing Perdita.  Thanks for reading!

1 hour ago, jchrisobrien said:

Second game vs. Pandora. Standard Ply, Surround Them, Undercover Entourage (2:0), Show of Force (3:0), Take Prisoner (0:2), Vendetta  

Pandora, Widow Weaver, Lilitu, Insidious Madness, Tuco, Baby Kade, 2 Will o Wisps

I kept my crew deployed tight in the center again, with the monster hunters on either side.  My opponent moved his widow weaver a little too far forward, and a monster hunter and Perdita killed it.  It turns out that was his undercover entourage model (mine was Perdita). I dropped a lot of fire on Pandora and after an absolutely crazy flip from Abuela (severe damage from the gun and red joker on the slug) blew her up!  I was a very bad match up for his crew, because he hand to get close to me to Ply and the like, and I could shoot him from range.  We ended up tying on Ply every single round, so that part of the game was very cagey.  I should try staying at range in this scenario, and if I'm in close always Ply first then attack.  One thing that went really well is chain activations.  I usually led with the Effigy then Accompliced into a Monster Hunter.  I'd then go with another model then companion into Perdita, then another model and companion in Francisco.  That can be a very effective one-two punch to take out a model that (ideally) hasn't activated yet, which helps out with activation control.

I was one of the four players with two wins going into game 3!

Last game vs. Reva.  Corner Ours (0:4), Guarded Treasure (3:3), Covert Breakthrough (0:3), Dig Their Graves, Show of Force (0:2), Public Demonstration. 

Reva, Datsue Ba, Phillip and the Nanny, 2 Lampads, Shikome, one other high point model

Both of us had the same basic idea: Send most of your crew towards the corner and start guarding that treasure while sending a few other models to screw with things.  Reva used her Blood Mark to make them take use their own 0 push, then the lampads used it again on their activation, and them moved.  They flew across the board (and through my own models) and easily scored Covert Breakthrough.  I sent a monster hunter and Perdita to the deal with most of his minions, but the effigy didn't follow along, which was a big mistake.  Perdita did a lot of wounds and killed Datsue Ba but wasn't able to heal, so the lampads wore her down.
A smaller mistake was agonizing over whether to use Trick Shooting to nullify cover (Datsue was in a woods) or incorporeal (which Datsue is). I chose ignore cover and eventually killed her.  The correct answer to my dilemma was choose incorporeal, Obey her out of the woods, and smoke her in two shots!  People might frown on me for choosing Show of Force, but I almost scored full points if I didn't have some terrain issues.  You can be pretty confidant your opponent won't go for it, which means one model gets you three easy points.  Playing this game definitely cemented a plan on how to play this scenario:  Use Abuela as one of your Guards, sit her in a corner and use her Obey on family members withing 12".  The Jury can sit inside the center to score Show of Force (add lead lined coat to her numb upgrade for more durability) and drop Guarded Treasure markers.  The rest of the crew goes on a murdering spree!

I was very satisfied with her performance and really enjoy playing Perdita.  Thanks for reading!

Three and o?  Very nice

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I played in an April Fool's Malifaux tournament.  It was a standard GG 2018 event, but after each side deployed the TO spun the "Wheel of Fate" to see what random effect would occur.   Game 1 I played Perdita vs Jacob Lynch, and this was our random event:  Any time you spend a soul stone, flip a card which can't be cheated.  On a 1-5, pay an extra soul stone for the action, on 6-10 nothing happens, on 11-13 gain your soul stone back.  If you flip a joker, your opponent gets a soulstone!  We had no jokers in our game, I think we each gained a stone once, and spend extra several times.  My opponent started with a full cache and had no stones by turn 4!

I took what's becoming my standard Perdita crew:  Perdita with Trick Shooting and Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Enslaved Nephilim, Francisco w/ Wade In and Debt, The Jury with Numb to the World, Abuela Ortega, 2 Monster Hunters, and the Brutal Effigy.  My opponent took Jacob Lynch w/Woke Up with a Hand, Want to See a Trick, and Endless Hunger; the Hungering Darkness, Sidir Alchibal, Mr. Graves, Beckoner, 2 Illuminated.  The pool was:

Close Public Executions, Eliminate the Leadership, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force, Recover Evidence, Vendetta.  My schemes were Show of Force and Vendetta (Monster Hunter vs. Mr. Graves) He took Undercover Entourage on Sidir and Recover Evidence. 

My opponent caught me out a bit when he moved Huggy 12" through some terrain and just engaged one of my monster hunters.  Huggy ended up tieing up a lot of my crew, and killed Francisco on turn three before he could activate (which was pretty clutch).  Huggy eventually went down to a shotgun blast from Abuela.  A monster hunter tagged Mr. Graves and pushed him away, so he hid Mr. Graves from turn 3 onwards so I only scored once for Vendetta.  That was annoying, but it gave me some inspiration:  Take Vendetta against your opponent's biggest nastiest model (Nekima, Huggy, Yasunori) Once you hit it, your opponent might hesitate on committing his model, and everyone can focus on killing it.  My best play of the game was turning the Effigy into a Family member, so Perdita could relocate over and kill Sidir denying his Entourage points! 

Final Score was 4-6 in his favor, but it was a very close game

I finished the day with a loss and a win, but since I didn't use Perdita that doesn't matter here ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jchrisobrien said:

Last weekend I played in an April Fool's Malifaux tournament.  It was a standard GG 2018 event, but after each side deployed the TO spun the "Wheel of Fate" to see what random effect would occur.   Game 1 I played Perdita vs Jacob Lynch, and this was our random event:  Any time you spend a soul stone, flip a card which can't be cheated.  On a 1-5, pay an extra soul stone for the action, on 6-10 nothing happens, on 11-13 gain your soul stone back.  If you flip a joker, your opponent gets a soulstone!  We had no jokers in our game, I think we each gained a stone once, and spend extra several times.  My opponent started with a full cache and had no stones by turn 4!

I took what's becoming my standard Perdita crew:  Perdita with Trick Shooting and Fastest Draw in Malifaux, Enslaved Nephilim, Francisco w/ Wade In and Debt, The Jury with Numb to the World, Abuela Ortega, 2 Monster Hunters, and the Brutal Effigy.  My opponent took Jacob Lynch w/Woke Up with a Hand, Want to See a Trick, and Endless Hunger; the Hungering Darkness, Sidir Alchibal, Mr. Graves, Beckoner, 2 Illuminated.  The pool was:

Close Public Executions, Eliminate the Leadership, Undercover Entourage, Show of Force, Recover Evidence, Vendetta.  My schemes were Show of Force and Vendetta (Monster Hunter vs. Mr. Graves) He took Undercover Entourage on Sidir and Recover Evidence. 

My opponent caught me out a bit when he moved Huggy 12" through some terrain and just engaged one of my monster hunters.  Huggy ended up tieing up a lot of my crew, and killed Francisco on turn three before he could activate (which was pretty clutch).  Huggy eventually went down to a shotgun blast from Abuela.  A monster hunter tagged Mr. Graves and pushed him away, so he hid Mr. Graves from turn 3 onwards so I only scored once for Vendetta.  That was annoying, but it gave me some inspiration:  Take Vendetta against your opponent's biggest nastiest model (Nekima, Huggy, Yasunori) Once you hit it, your opponent might hesitate on committing his model, and everyone can focus on killing it.  My best play of the game was turning the Effigy into a Family member, so Perdita could relocate over and kill Sidir denying his Entourage points! 

Final Score was 4-6 in his favor, but it was a very close game

I finished the day with a loss and a win, but since I didn't use Perdita that doesn't matter here ;)

Huggy is so frusterating for my monster hunters.  He deserves to be hunted!

I attended two tournaments last weekend in Massachusetts and Connecticut.  I took Nellie, Lady J, and Perdita in each one.  Here are the Perdita games!

Saturday Game #2, Flank Ply for Information, Surround Them, Covert Breakthrough, Inescapable Trap, Search the Ruins, Recover Evidence

Perdita (Trick Shooting, Fastest Draw in Malifaux), The Jury (Numb to the World), Francisco (Wade In, A Debt to the Guild), Abuela Ortega, 2 Monster Hunters, Brutal Effigy, Enslaved Nephilim

vs

Dreamer (on wings of darkness, dreams of pain), Daydream, Nekima (1000 faces), Hooded Rider (1000 faces), Baby Kade, Iggy. 

I took Recover Evidence and Covert Breakthrough, he went for Search the Ruins and Surround Them.  He didn't move up far at all, so when I declared Recover Evidence on turn 2, I still had a lot of ground to cover to get to the Evidence.  He threw Nekima in early to try to kill Perdita, but I survived and counter punched with Anita (a monster hunter) and Perdita and killed Nekima.  I'm making a lot more use out of Companion and Accomplice these days to really apply pressure to a model.  Abuela killed Iggy and she and the Brutal Effigy laid down my Breakthrough markers turn 2 and 3.  He summoned a lot of Stitched, but we were both equally lucky in winning the duels so we both took a lot of damage. I scored 3 for Breakthrough and 1 for Ply, he scored 2 for Surround Them.  He couldn't get enough markers down for Search the Ruins, and didn't realize he needed 3 markers down to get any points.  That's a pretty common mistake I'm seeing among people.  I don't normally consider Surround Them as a good option for the Guild, but this crew has more mobility than I thought, and I could easily get two points out of it.  Final score was 4 -2 in my favor.

I won my first game of the day (Nellie vs Titania 8-4) and had a very narrow loss last game (Lady J vs McMourning 5-6) which left me in third place out of eight players.  A better day than expected!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, McSkip said:

Congrats on 3rd place! I really like your batreps as I try to get into Perdita again these days.

Don`t you consider aura ancestral vs neverborn?

And what do you think about some kind of alpha strike list with Papa Loco and expert sleuth?

Dammit man, you are going to give away the secrets of my list of dita, papa, at least 3 extra stones and a train load of guild guard to eat activations before I can push then quadruple obey papa forward to blow up their crew.

I’m seeing lot of Perdita crew with a low cache...can you play with only cache 2 ?

I think that a Perdita crew necessities a minimum on cache 5.

Perdita without df/wp9 can be killed very fast...

To have df/wp 9 you need to stay live with Francisco,and Francisco need stones to survive....

Then for Perdita stones are essential to add masks or rams to her shooting...

2ss Work just fine. Fastest Draw gives you a nice add to Ini. Monster Hunter, Debt and Heros gamble often do the Trick with Card draw. Jury gives you all the Mask you need. I prefer Badge for the importent RJ/Sever reduction. Otherwise df9 works just fine. Franc with h2k (through i prefer LLC) and 1-2 Stones is hard enough and upon dying you will get a stone back. And he doesn't have to be the Frontliner. Get Perdita up There and Let her Stats Take care of Things. Between Nephilim/abuela/perdita Obey it isn't really hard to get him in Position for another rund of protection. 

I play almost the same List and tend to activate Franc Late t2 and early t3. Chain into dita and he is save most of the Time. 

McSkip:  I've taken it a few times against Neverborn and Ressurs for Lure defense.  The points in my list are pretty tight, but I might be able to work it in.  I don't want to drop Numb if I'm fighting Neverborn or Ressurs.  I find it very hard to leave home w/out Fastest Draw anymore :)  I can add Aura and run with one less S.S. 

Fazza: Adding the Jury adds healing and condition removal to help keep Franc alive.  The Jury also lets Perdita pitch cards for Masks instead of soul stones.  I don't tend to stone for cards with Perdita because I can always use the low cards for masks.