Riders

Joachim

Hello guys,

After the january errata I ordered the hooded rider. I'm going to a tournament in a month, so I'll be trying him out first.

My lists do fine without him, but it is fun to have another option.

My question is what are the main things in the game that bypass their defense. Cause it seems really strong if you have your reduction on df and stubborn on wp attacks. But if you simply ignore that he can go down really quickly. Just to be prepared to what destroys them the hardest I wanted to ask what the main things are that ignore damage reduction and/or defensive triggers. Or good wp attacks with natural plus flips. The list doesn't need to be including every option, but the most commonly seen models would be great.

From the top of my head I'm thinking about:

Ignoring triggers:

retributions eye

executioner

Ignoring damage reduction:

Reva

Mcmournings expunge (is this damage from the poison condition so can't be reduced, or damage determined by the amount of poison and so can be reduced?)

5 minutes ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

Valedictorian/Students can turn off the ability to use triggers (0 AP Lecture notes)
Joss/Executioner ignore Df triggers 
Anything with reliable Blast damage
Leveticus

There are more, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty, ressers already look like a wonky matchup, as there is lots of stuff that can bypass its defenses. 

8 minutes ago, Joachim said:

Against the lecture notes your stubborn still works though, that's something.

This is true.
Though, if matched up against a Rider, it would be worth it to Focus then Lecture. Unlike Joss/Executioner/Leveticus - whose ignore effects are baked into their attacks, Lecture Notes is a Condition that turns off ALL triggers, not just Df - it would also kill their Attack triggers for a turn (in the case of Hooded, that means loss of extra damage, or loss of marker removal. Either could be huge, given the state of the game)

I play the Leveticus Horsemen list, and one of my normal opponents is Ressur player. I have learned a healthy respect for the Students and Valedictorian haha

47 minutes ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

This is true.
Though, if matched up against a Rider, it would be worth it to Focus then Lecture. Unlike Joss/Executioner/Leveticus - whose ignore effects are baked into their attacks, Lecture Notes is a Condition that turns off ALL triggers, not just Df - it would also kill their Attack triggers for a turn (in the case of Hooded, that means loss of extra damage, or loss of marker removal. Either could be huge, given the state of the game)

I play the Leveticus Horsemen list, and one of my normal opponents is Ressur player. I have learned a healthy respect for the Students and Valedictorian haha

Indeed, it is well worth it for him to focus and lecture notes. This give him max 1 walk, so I guess you'd have to stay away from them :).

I have enough options so I'll think about alternatives when facing ressers.

The seldomly used Moon Shinobi tend to have a field day against riders as they can attack Wp and turn that stubborn into a liability.

Also in Gremlins, Som'er has a (0) to turn off all triggers in a 4" aura, this can also be used by his very fast totems.

Like blasts, things that just go boom also bypasses all their defenses, the stuffed piglet bacon bomb comes to mind as does Pere and Papa when they explode.

21 hours ago, Joachim said:

Hello guys,

After the january errata I ordered the hooded rider. I'm going to a tournament in a month, so I'll be trying him out first.

My lists do fine without him, but it is fun to have another option.

My question is what are the main things in the game that bypass their defense. Cause it seems really strong if you have your reduction on df and stubborn on wp attacks. But if you simply ignore that he can go down really quickly. Just to be prepared to what destroys them the hardest I wanted to ask what the main things are that ignore damage reduction and/or defensive triggers. Or good wp attacks with natural plus flips. The list doesn't need to be including every option, but the most commonly seen models would be great.

From the top of my head I'm thinking about:

Ignoring triggers:

retributions eye

executioner

Ignoring damage reduction:

Reva

Mcmournings expunge (is this damage from the poison condition so can't be reduced, or damage determined by the amount of poison and so can be reduced?)

Expunge is not damage from the poison condition, so it can be reduced..

Ignoring triggers is good, Joss, Union Miner and the students sort of do this. 

damage can't be reduced is becoming more common than armour ignoring (which wouldn't hurt a rider).  

Burning is one of the best ways to kill it. It has not extra protection against the Burning condition because the damage happens with out a Df duel, so it just has to take it all. Likewise other indirect damage sources (fears given form, Hazadous terrain, pulse damage, auras and Blasts.

Also high damage attacks, or it being attacked early in the game are not so good for it. 

1 minute ago, Joachim said:

So yeah, there's a lot of ways to bypass its defense. Is the best way to play him, keeping him safe turn 1, maybe turn 2 go around a flank and abuse your long threat range.

That could be said about anything . The rider has one of the better defences out there, but it isn't invulnerable.  

If they can't get around your damage prevention, then you may be best hiding him turn 1 and waiting till late turn 2 to activate, but if they can then  eitehr set up to avoid the models that get round it, or plan to kill them. 

In a similar way if you had something with Armor +2, it is hard to shift, until your opponent has a model which ignores armor, and you then have to adapt your plan to try and keep it safe from that. 

• 1 month later...

Nothing Beast hits Willpower, so the damage reduction doesn't apply.  All you need is to stone for a + and then you're beating on him @ CA7 min 3 (always take Bigger They Are ) he'll drop pretty fast.  And since he's an Incorporeal Henchie, he survives the counter punch really well