Wong seems good enough

ElPuto

Hey guys, took Gremlins as my fifth Faction after realizing I got yet Brewie, so he would need a partner in crime.

Picked up Zipp (who's a ton of fun), and First Mate for Brewie is really good.

Now I'm looking at Wong (Mancha will be a nice add to Brewie, who remains my first love). 

What are your usual picks for Wong? 'Cause I'd like to look after these three Masters, and I'd like to pick the models that best fit their style.

Depends on what limited upgrade you're giving him. The common consensus seems to be that 'Ooo Glowy' is still the most powerful (Giving your Magical models; Regen +1 and +1 DMG)

With that in mind you'll have to think who you'd like to give the Magical condition to. In the past the usual suspects have been popular; McTavish, Burt, Frank, Gracie, Mancha, ect.

If you're going with one, or two, of the Magical buffers (Sparkly Lights being the other - Ignores disengaging strikes and can interact whilst engaged) Then I would strongly advise at least one or two Swinecursed. They, as well as you're Ooo Glowy target, benefit from the buffs making them Reckless, ML6, 3/4/6 with a 10" charge and regen +1.

I am considering the following; Bringing Sammy, Giving her the 'Sparkly Lights' upgrade, Wong takes 'Ooo Glowy', and making the (now 9ss) Whiskey Golum the Magical target. Nimble, 4/5/7 dmg, with a heal. It means 3 models can be decent beaters or scheme runners (if you bring two swine cursed). This also allows Wong the freedom to be a bit 'scheme-ier'

Personally, in 2018, I sort of feel like the days of running a few Bayous into a corner then dropping scheme markers is dead and you need models that have reliable survivability and damage. Just my 2 Cents.

• Thanks 1

Wong actually brings one of the best Gremlin-Minions imo: Lightning Bugs, they are really good for Schemes and also for taking down armored Targets.

Personally: I am not to fond of the lovely assistant so I usually bring Old Cranky. His defensive auras are great, you refill your used soulstones and you can cycle cards which synergizes very very well with Samy LaCroix.

I have yet to try the new Wong-Upgrades but Samy has always been very usefull for taking Ooo Glowy, so Wong could take "a Gremlins Luck".

And Yes, as mentioned by bandages: Burt, Tavish, Frank, Gracy are awesome! And ofc the infamous swine cursed.

Has anyone played a magical first mate?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Davie said:

Wong actually brings one of the best Gremlin-Minions imo: Lightning Bugs, they are really good for Schemes and also for taking down armored Targets.

Personally: I am not to fond of the lovely assistant so I usually bring Old Cranky. His defensive auras are great, you refill your used soulstones and you can cycle cards which synergizes very very well with Samy LaCroix.

I have yet to try the new Wong-Upgrades but Samy has always been very usefull for taking Ooo Glowy, so Wong could take "a Gremlins Luck".

And Yes, as mentioned by bandages: Burt, Tavish, Frank, Gracy are awesome! And ofc the infamous swine cursed.

Has anyone played a magical first mate?

First Mate doesn't seem so good as a target, he's not a beater. Or am I missing something?

6 hours ago, bandages said:

Depends on what limited upgrade you're giving him. The common consensus seems to be that 'Ooo Glowy' is still the most powerful (Giving your Magical models; Regen +1 and +1 DMG)

With that in mind you'll have to think who you'd like to give the Magical condition to. In the past the usual suspects have been popular; McTavish, Burt, Frank, Gracie, Mancha, ect.

If you're going with one, or two, of the Magical buffers (Sparkly Lights being the other - Ignores disengaging strikes and can interact whilst engaged) Then I would strongly advise at least one or two Swinecursed. They, as well as you're Ooo Glowy target, benefit from the buffs making them Reckless, ML6, 3/4/6 with a 10" charge and regen +1.

I am considering the following; Bringing Sammy, Giving her the 'Sparkly Lights' upgrade, Wong takes 'Ooo Glowy', and making the (now 9ss) Whiskey Golum the Magical target. Nimble, 4/5/7 dmg, with a heal. It means 3 models can be decent beaters or scheme runners (if you bring two swine cursed). This also allows Wong the freedom to be a bit 'scheme-ier'

Personally, in 2018, I sort of feel like the days of running a few Bayous into a corner then dropping scheme markers is dead and you need models that have reliable survivability and damage. Just my 2 Cents.

The point I'm missing is: how can I make more Magical models? Am I limited to just one? 'Cause the upgrade suggests "magical models", but I don't see a way to make more than one.

Thanks for the tips btw.

On 17.01.2018 at 6:14 AM, green-n-dumb said:

BTW have anyoune situation when he used 3 lightning bug in 1 crew? No matter what master.
Dont like 3rd bug (that one on a tiny blast thing which is scary to take in hands) and want to trade him on another miniatures but dont know - may be there are situations where 3 bugs are okay.

Nah, 2 is always good.

• Like 1

Finalizing said above, i would suggest something like this:

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Wong + 6 Pool
- A Gremlin's Luck (1)
- Do Over (1)
Old Cranky (4)
Sammy LaCroix (7)
- Ooo Glowy (1)
Burt Jebsen (8)
- Dirty Cheater (1)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Lightning Bug (5)
Lightning Bug (5)

This crew can fight, and can do schemes, both. And leaves you 3SS to modify it. You can take only one Bug, and it will leave you 8SS for another beater or support model, depending on what you need. In my experience, this is kinda jack-of-all-trades crew, good almost for anything. (Just don't try to fight von Shill with Wong).

• Like 1

How does this one look?

DeclaredFaction: Gremlins 

Crew Name: Gremlins # 1 50ss 
Leader: Wong - Cache:(3)
   Ooo Glowy 1ss 
   Explosive Solutions 2ss 
   On Yer Tip Toes 1ss 
Old Cranky 4ss 
Sammy LaCroix 7ss 
   Sparkly Lights 1ss 
Francois LaCroix 8ss 
   Stilts 1ss 
   Dirty Cheater 1ss 
Swine-Cursed 7ss 
Swine-Cursed 7ss 
Lightning Bug 5ss 
Lightning Bug 5ss 

Francois is the Glowy target.

@Freman Not a fan of Franc as the glowy target unless you have a specific enemy model in mind you need him to kill asap that he will need the ignore armor or htk. I also don't rate On Yer Tip Toes for Wong, I would much rather go with Do Over or even just bank the extra soul stone.

As you are taking Explosive solutions I would actually suggest swapping out Franc for the Emissary and make the Emissary glowy. They are both 10ss however when you get Wong placing blasts near the Emissary with the :ram trigger from explosive solutions they are now 4 damage blasts from a moderate flip. Plus Glowy Emissary can be fun as he will be in damage 4 with :melee3.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DonCheadle said:

What's the bare minimum needed to make Wong a strong contender? 

I do already have Slop Haulers and most of what you'd want for Ulix, and would be looking to expand into Wong eventually. 

Swine Cursed: amazing models and free magical

Sammy letting you carry another limited upgrade. Can have super glowy models and very scary blaster Wong

Burt/Gracie make great glowy targets

Old Cranky imo is a better totem for Wong (especially if you take Gremlins Luck on Wong)

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Wong + 6 Pool
 - A Gremlin's Luck (1)
 - Explosive Solutions (2)
 - Do Over (1)
Old Cranky (4)
Trixibelle (8)
Sammy LaCroix (7)
 - Ooo Glowy (1)
Burt Jebsen (8)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Swine-Cursed (7)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Generally Burt will try to cracker Jack timing enemies together and Wong will go magic crazy (while using his 0 for schemes)

Swine Cursed and Sammy are flankers

Trixie does scheming

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DonCheadle said:

What's the bare minimum needed to make Wong a strong contender? 

I do already have Slop Haulers and most of what you'd want for Ulix, and would be looking to expand into Wong eventually. 

I was going to stay talking about Merc options for the Glowy target, but you did say "bare minimum", so that kinda counts them out.

Buuuuut, just in case you're interested in that route, have a look at any of the big Mercenaries. Lazarus is an obvious "play to your strengths" option, with his own blasting craziness. Consider Sparks as well then for Fast. 

McTavish is a classic choice.

I kinda like the Strongarm Suit as well. 

Anyway, food for thought.

• Like 1

Hmm, I own none of those and am kinda busy with 4 new TT masters in my hood, but they all seem like fun models, especially now that Ulix might want Sammy to carry the bow. 

No love for Wrastlers and Lightning Bugs? They seem like a ton of fun if nothing else. 

EDIT : If I were to utilize the new multi-zap upgrade, how would my list look different? 

2 hours ago, DonCheadle said:

EDIT : If I were to utilize the new multi-zap upgrade, how would my list look different? 

I've been thinking about that Upgrade as well, but I don't have any experience with it yet. My thoughts so far though are that you might want something to move Wong into position for the (3) Action, which could be The First Mate, or Wrastlers, or just suck it up and damage Wong in Ml for his Df trigger.

I had been thinking about the Lovely Assistant as well, in order to stack the deck then Accomplice to Wong, but honestly, she only sees the next 4 cards, and you'll burn through those on your first Attack, once the pulses are all resolved. Could still be useful for her Crackerjack Timing tho, either on her own or in tandem with Burt, to really pack them in for the show...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I've been thinking about that Upgrade as well, but I don't have any experience with it yet. My thoughts so far though are that you might want something to move Wong into position for the (3) Action, which could be The First Mate, or Wrastlers, or just suck it up and damage Wong in Ml for his Df trigger.

Wong's Df Trigger is just a basic Squeel so it only works against Enemy Attacks.

But Gracie (or Old Major) with a Saddle is a great way to transport Wong for long distances. Gracie is also a fine target for Glowy.

• Like 2