WIzard Gremlin Gunline

Aztok

Hi fellow Gremlins, big fan, and pretty new to the game, I’ve been messing around with list ideas, mostly for my three favorites, Brewmaster, Wong, and Zipp. I’ve had an idea brewing in my head for a different playstyle for Wong for a little while now, more focused on Wong himself being kind of greedy and taking the Ooo Glowy buff for himself.

the basic idea is to buff Wong with his own Magical condition, then use a short range gunline style to try and take advantage of the Gautreaux Bokor’s Spirit-cursed condition from Call to the Beyond and the “the spirits hate ‘em!” Ability by taking as many gremlins with cast actions as possible. The list is as follows:

Wong with Explosive Solutions and A Gremlin’s Luck

Old Cranky

Sammy Lacroix with Ooo Glowy

Gautreaux Bokor

Gautreaux Bokor 

Banjonista

Lightning Bug

Swine-cursed

Bayou Gremlin

six stone Cache

Again, this is a very rough sketch of a list, and a lot would change depending on the scenario, like swapping upgrades or bringing Big Brain Brin for condition removal and swapping other models based on what I’m fighting. The Swine-cursed is mostly there to be a generic good model that hangs back, pushes other gremlins around, and charges in to protect the squishier wizards behind him. I’m curious to hear your thoughts, it’s possibly too gimmicky or squishy or slow to be very effective, but what do you guys think of a list that tries to take advantage of the Bokor like this?

Personally always a fan of Sammy holding one of the magical limited upgrades and making hey glowy. I find her pretty hard to remove and doing 3 damage on her attacks isn't bad.

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Wong + 3 Pool
 - A Gremlin's Luck (1)
 - Explosive Solutions (2)
Old Cranky (4)
Sammy LaCroix (7)
 - Ooo Glowy (1)
Gauteraeux Bokor (6)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Banjonista (5)
Lightning Bug (5)
Lightning Bug (5)

7 hours ago, Dominion said:

Wong can't target himself with glowy

Oh, pots. I completely missed that part. Oh well, I could move some things around for Burt, since he’s got everything the list wants. But the Gautreaux Bokor is the real star of the show, and I think the list could still run relatively close, do you guys have any experience with the Bokors?

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

I used bokors during the beta, but mainly as defensive support. Personally I think they are the strongest model we got in wave 5, but still a pretty situational model

Yeah, I got that impression too. I should try a game or two with two of them to see if the spirit-cursed rebuff is alright. Obviously it’s weak to condition removal, but if they’re spending AP to remove a dinky condition like that I think I’m coming out ahead, especially when I spread it around.

I’m mostly looking for a way to do a gremlin gunline that isn’t So’mer, and do something kind of different to see if it works. I’ve been having trouble with Neverborn lately, especially Lilith and Nekima, so keeping them at arm’s reach could help.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, wizuriel said:

I used bokors during the beta, but mainly as defensive support. Personally I think they are the strongest model we got in wave 5, but still a pretty situational model

On 1/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, Aztok said:

Yeah, I got that impression too. I should try a game or two with two of them to see if the spirit-cursed rebuff is alright. Obviously it’s weak to condition removal, but if they’re spending AP to remove a dinky condition like that I think I’m coming out ahead, especially when I spread it around.

I’m mostly looking for a way to do a gremlin gunline that isn’t So’mer, and do something kind of different to see if it works. I’ve been having trouble with Neverborn lately, especially Lilith and Nekima, so keeping them at arm’s reach could help.

Guys, I might be missing something, but I really don't see why the bokors would be the strongest Wave 5 model? IMHO, they are nearly the worst, if it wasn't for Flying Piglets (but those at least can be summoned).

- The condition they give out really doesn't seem very relevant, after all there's very few models with decent Ca actions in faction and if you want to field a gunline we have plenty of actual guns...
- The attack is mediocre at 1/2/3 and short range...the trigger for Slow needs a suit and we have plenty of better options to give out Slow
- Spiritual Possession is just meh because of lack of targets. Gator and Wild Boar...really?? Unless you play them with Zoraida, but even then...you reactivate an Adze? A Silurid? Who even hires those anyway? Sure, in very specific situations reactivating a scheme runner could be useful, but it's still situational. On top of that, it takes 2AP (full activation) and needs a 7 to be cast...
- The (0) is probably the best of the lot, but again it needs a 7 to be cast and provides a one-shot protection...to a minion or enforcer...and until the end of the Turn! I could see its utility on a henchman, and maybe if it was until the next activation, but as is this is still too limiting - it seems most of the times won't really do much. Unless you have a 7 of tomes, which could allow you to cast Spiritual Possession on a non-Swampfiend (for which you need another 7)...so a bit of a holy grail there.

It seems very situational and lacking appropriate targets in faction...perhaps during testing developers (and the community...) were afraid they could be too powerful and so all these actions were restricted to minion/enforcer only (and Swampfiend!), but this way they seem a bit lackluster.

I have played Gremlins since the very beginning of M2E and I own all 7 masters, this is just to say that I have a discrete amount of experience...and yet I can't really see any role for these guys, and can't justify spending 6ss for them. They seem they would work ok mainly with Wong or Zoraida but we have many better options for them two...

1 hour ago, edopersichetti said:

Guys, I might be missing something, but I really don't see why the bokors would be the strongest Wave 5 model? IMHO, they are nearly the worst, if it wasn't for Flying Piglets (but those at least can be summoned).

I feel this more shows just how weak the rest of the wave 5 models are :P

Best to worst imo

Criers aren't a bad pick, but I see them only really with mah.

Brin imo is not a bad pick if you need condition removal

Bokors (I thought faded was just non master,v faded is though still a strong condition Imo)

Smuggler is confusing and can only see it being used as a disruption piece. 

Wrestlers are bad compared to pretty much any other 5 or 4pt gremlin minion

Flying pigs are useless

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 10:43 PM, wizuriel said:

I feel this more shows just how weak the rest of the wave 5 models are :P

Best to worst imo

Criers aren't a bad pick, but I see them only really with mah.

Brin imo is not a bad pick if you need condition removal

Bokors (I thought faded was just non master,v faded is though still a strong condition Imo)

Smuggler is confusing and can only see it being used as a disruption piece. 

Wrestlers are bad compared to pretty much any other 5 or 4pt gremlin minion

Flying pigs are useless

I think all Gremlin players agree that Wave 5 was pretty weak. But some of the models are at least usable. Let me start in reverse order:

- Flying pigs are useless, I agree. As hires for sure, but even as summons, most of the times you'd choose a Stuffed as a disruption piece, unless you desperately need that extra scheme marker.

- Wrastlers are a bit fragile but I'm curious to try them with Mah, they have the potential to hit hard in Melee (Tag Team has Ml 7 and potentially 4dmg even on min damage) and the shove is useful as it's no resist. Situational, but they might work...

- Yes, Smuggler is confusing and confusingly designed. Moreover, it suffers from very little synergy with faction, not being a Gremlin or Pig (same problem, for instance, as Emissary). The Swap is potentially nice (kind of a less-reliable Tangle Shadows) but exactly because it's less reliable, it might just disappoint you when you most need it...

- Of Bokors I have already said, even Faded is very limited as of what it can target and only ends at end of turn...perhaps if it lasted until next activation, but as is, not worth 6SS.

- Brin is not a bad pick, condition removal is very important in GG18, keep in mind he has a huge target on his head for exactly this reason and he really dies quickly.

- Criers for me are the best of the bunch, in 3 out of 5 strategies (Ours, Ply and Public Execs) their Gremlin Bureaucracy can really mess up the opponent's plan for scoring. Card cycling is also good. You need to carry them around, but that's easy enough with Skeeters or Saddle. I play them regularly with Ulix, Mah and Zipp, for instance.

So yeah, I would appreciate if anyone has some experience playing Bokors: at the moment I'm not even planning on buying them, since I have enough models already sitting on the shelf...

I wouldnt focus too hard on the reactivate trick, its nice and works. BUT what I see as being the value of this model "send you.... to the OTHER WORLD"  With a :crow trigger you are giving 2 minions or enforcers Faded: After this model suffers damage from an enemy, reduce to 0, and remove this condition.

This is really solid... I'd save a 7 for this every turn. His :tome trigger lets you cast the Reactivate spell, if you targeted a Swampfiend with that action. This makes that reactivating model harder to kill and more likely to get their reactivate before dying. Bayou Gators have Ml expert too, so... a reactivating Bayou gator with 6 attacks and a condition to ignore a damage flip is no joke. This model makes Bayou Gators viable in a kill based pool. There are also many pools in GG18' where insignificant models wont be a liability. 

Wild Boars arent horrible with the Faded condition either. 8 Wds is a lot of damage to do and with one damage flip being negated, I assume you'll get the reactivate off. 2/4/6 will catch a severe from time to time, especially with so many attacks. 

*In regards to the post and crew. I think Wong benefits big from the bokors being around for those :+fate. I think that fitting a boar or gator in there might offer more flexibility in terms of early game disruption/ AP drain/beater.  They’ll be forced to deal with them if you get reactivate and or faded off. Perhaps swap a bug or banjo for one of them see if it’s viable. 

Smugglers have a ton of card draw and allow you to SS for cards and keep the best 5 and the 8. If you have other card draw mechanics, its like free SS's. 

The Swap is going to be more powerful than anyone expects when it comes out at the right moment. It'll be a game changer, 3":melee to tie up whoever this models swapped around and the other model could be out of position or put next to one of your beaters.. A lot of power there. If you tie up one of their good models at just outside 2" it can be a REAL problem. Lets just  Say the opponent gives you an even card both times you win the duel... that's 4 cards...Lets say they cheat to win these duels? Draw 2 cards for Buy Low, Sell High.  I mean, what more do you want? 

Up Sheet's Creek can totally deny Setup or search the ruins. It can disrupt summoners trying to capitalize on a pile of corpse or scrap markers... Situationally awesome. 

Gremlin wave 5 models are fantastic, they are not overtly killy if that's what you are all looking for. 

• Like 1

@Fixxer glad to see at least some love for the Smugglers. I personally think they're an awkward model, and giving your opponent even a fraction to choose what happens doesn't always end with the better outcome for you. I'm still going to reserve my judgment until I give them a spin a few times, but I'm hopeful that they'll pull their weight.