Alternate Viks play

beevison

On 1/13/2018 at 10:08 AM, JoeCL said:

Slingshot or not, any viks list that is not built for some form of alpha strike is gimped. The more opportunities you give your opponent to strike first the more you lose.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to.

Viks are made for this. You hurt them before they hurt you, and you need to figure out how you'll do it sure... but if you don't get the first hit you're just screwing yourself and not playing into their strengths.... why not play another master?

But if you do and you do it right, the game can be over very fast.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that the prime strength of Viks is their ability to sling shot and alpha strike. It is a tried and proven tactic. 

The problem is that almost every experienced player knows this and has developed a way of dealing with this. If you can do something different and unexpected often the results are rewarding. 

Whilst the list I've built can't do a true slingshot attack. What it can do quite effectively is 2 shorter sling shots. Ashes often goes in by herself kills a couple models (and hopefully netting a couple of stones from this). With Marlena Ashes can survive at least a couple of models attacks. This is when Blood can then dive in. And kill these models, healing up ashes.

Like I said I can't say, and I don't believe, that this is better than usual sling shot. It probably isn't. But I have found that in gg2018 it makes Viks more viable in more scheme pools. 

And as a side benefit it makes for a far more interesting and dynamic game. 

Saving a master AP is no small feat. The child gives you an extra activation and an extra master AP. And the master is Ml 7, so she might actually hit. 

The student is Ml 4 ( if I remember). Low quality AP, not likely to hit. She will always under perform. 

I will take the 1 master AP for 2 lackluster  peon AP any day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoeCL said:

Saving a master AP is no small feat. The child gives you an extra activation and an extra master AP. And the master is Ml 7, so she might actually hit. 

The student is Ml 4 ( if I remember). Low quality AP, not likely to hit. She will always under perform. 

Oh if we were talking about just the attack then yes I agree with you. 

But you have to also keep in mind that the student has sisters in spirit. Which can work out at around 7" movement (if you include the students base) and giving out fast. So essentially giving extra AP to master. And that works on all sister models. 

Also a lot of the time sister in fury is simply over kill. Usually you are getting 3 attacks on the charge all min 3. 

Not denying the child is great. But I just find the student enables so much more.

8 hours ago, JoeCL said:

Well you can argue that Child, Student and Hannah all save Master AP. Hannah and the Child do so by performing an action that you might otherwise perform with the Master (when we're talking sisters in fury, Hannah gets to do it if the upgrade is on Blood. which may be seen as a downside or not. It is done as a (0) action  so you are still getting 2 AP use out of Hannah) where as the child actually just gives out the AP. (Or uses sisters in spirit to move the sister which is similar to giving the Master an AP. 

And if you take the Student you are getting Ml expert on it. (but part of its problem is consistently giving that AP)

All are options that can work if thats the way you play. You may well find the child suits you best, and then stick with it, but I would at least consider the alternatives at times

• Like 2

Whilst I have used both Student and Child multiple times. I've never done the Hannah with Fury on Blood. I don't really like using and upgrade slot on Blood for Fury. Although giving Hannah +2dmg is tempting.

My main argument against Child or Hannah and the whole saving AP. Is one of card costs. For Ashes it costs a 6. Which is fine, one mediocre to bad card for +2 dmg is a good trade. With Child you need a 9, now I know that he gets positives so theres a decent chance you'll get it off. But if you don't get it you have to cheat what is a decent card. With Hannah it's less punishing needing 2 6s. But if you fail both times that's 2 cards you're cheating in. 

I used to consider Child as an autotake, but after a few more games under my belt playing around with the student. I think she's a brilliant totem. Just so much potential wrapped up in a tiny little bundle.

• Like 3