Freikorpsmann/VS Cache Suggestion

Morgan Vening

I've seen several mentions that Freikorpsmann are underwhelming for their price, and I can't say I disagree. They're solid, but they just aren't quite there.

Also seen that Von Schill is often regarded as needing more Cache to be effective.

So my idea combines the two, though effectiveness can be tailored depending on how powerful it ends up being.

Shillamaniacs (Von Schill)
0*SS
For each* Freikorpsmann hired, Von Schill's starting Cache is increased by one, to a maximum of 7*. If this crew spends at least half it's SS on other Freikorps models, this Upgrade does not count againt VS's Upgrade limit.

It's literally inferior to a point drop, because it can't be spent elsewhere, and it's only of benefit to VS, and only really kicks in if playing a predominantly themed list. Pure spam is avoided as the benefit stops after the sixth purchase (assuming you don't tweak that with the fractional option below).

* Any of these could be tweaked, to correct any imbalances. Increasing the cost makes it only kick in if more are taken. Making it fractional (for every two, rounded up/down) makes it less impactful if necessary. Dropping the max 7 institutes a soft Rare limit.

Any obvious flaws something like this would make an issue?

23 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Shillamaniacs (Von Schill)
0*SS
For each* Freikorpsmann hired, Von Schill's starting Cache is increased by one, to a maximum of 7*. If this crew spends at least half it's SS on other Freikorps models, this Upgrade does not count againt VS's Upgrade limit.

Fixed that for you.

8 hours ago, Zebo said:

It would have been easier to decrease its cost to 4ss if Wyrd wanted to go in that direction. 

Except then you're opening it up to everyone, and Void Wretch is already seen as a decent scheme runner for it's price, and a FKM at 4 seems like a superior buy in most situations.

It was the combined issue of Von Schill being a little underwhelming, AND FKM being a little expensive, that seemed to be a dual problem.

Also, having another Hulk Hogan reference is a plus. 

• Like 3

It might be cool to give all Friekorps Models a tactical action like this:

“1 AP: Discard a card to allow another friendly Friekorp non-leader model in LoS to take a 1AP action. A model may only take this action once per turn.”

It’s basically an obey that only works on a limited pool of models. It makes Friekorps being a bit overpriced less of an issue since their AP can be spent where it’s most effective as long as you’re willing to burn a card for it. Probably would need some tweaking to get it balanced but I think it kind of reflects an elite military unit operating with coordinated efficiency. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally,I don't think the schill cache and FKM should be linked. Or at least I see the FKM as a separate issue because I don't like rules and fixes that pigeonhole a model into a certain crew.  Currently,I don't see anyone use them outside of a schill list and the suggested changes digging make that less likely to change.  Reducing cost isn't an answer because that affects composition more than model usefulness so I feel they need a tiny tweak in ability.  

I do like the army ops idea, thematically, suggested above for an obey type action, but I think it would be too strong or need a super high card to balance.  What if it was a moderately high tn, (0) action to give another FKM in play 1ap to use immediately.  It has the coordinated element of BatComs without giving power to heavy hitters like Lazarus and entices a player to bring more than 1.

Freikorpsmänner are tanky but tarpits do not fit well into a shooting crew. how about "models do not randomise for this model when shooting into engagement".
Now they got a role as tarpits. up their melee to 7 (its still not op cause they have a shitty as fck damage track) or reduce their cost to 4 and they become... at least niche.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:06 PM, DXXXVIII said:

Freikorpsmänner are tanky but tarpits do not fit well into a shooting crew. how about "models do not randomise for this model when shooting into engagement".
Now they got a role as tarpits. up their melee to 7 (its still not op cause they have a shitty as fck damage track) or reduce their cost to 4 and they become... at least niche.

I need to respectfully disagree.  They are more speed bumps than a tarpit. Df5/wp6 with 5wd is hardly stopping anything wanting to get through.  Yes armor 1, yes df7 on attack trigger but at least in my experience they don't stop much besides schemers, and they blink, push or leap away.  

All that said, the fixes you propose over qualify them. 1ss difference can make a huge difference and puts them in competition with wretches. 1,3,4 dmg isn't great, sure. Yet, when you add their zero action and your proposed ml increase they are looking at more straight flips of 3,5,6 which can hurt a lot.

Again, I think they need a side grade more than straight buffs. Something to put them in rotation but not pull other things out by taking their place.

I do have to point out that although people said they don’t want FKM ties to VS cache I think it would be fine to tie them in to a keyword more. The army ops is a great idea and making them only taken in VS crews is fine because it inherently promotes master diversity. I think that’s honestly one of the biggest faults wyrd has fallen into recently where modes are just good not good I’m the sense they synergies with a certain master. This is why Hamelin has become a top favorite because he is the best at utilizing the “best” models. 

• Like 1