Ten Thunders Errata from App (NOT CONFIRMED)

DeleteAccount

6 hours ago, Tokapondora said:

I'm pretty sure she's lost her damage reduction ignoring ability. The text on The Storm has changed to ^. If it was just about mentioning it went from 12" to 8" they wouldn't have left the "Markers placed in this way do not need to be touching each other." in there. That's the entire text of that ability. I mean I'm sure the trigger The Coming Storm is still on The Storm, I hope, but this clearly seems all they've intended to do with this ability.

I really feel they should've either went 6" but keep the damage reduction or lose the damage reduction but keep 10-12" range. Both just feels a bit overkill for a model that hasn't even been dominating tournaments, especially when you compare it to other masters.

I just realised that you are absolutely right. For some reason my brain thought it would be written somewhere that it didn't ignore damage reduction anymore if it was changed, when the new wording obviously just replaces the old one.

On 1/6/2018 at 6:54 AM, 7thSquirrel said:

Yes sir. The 10T guy who won the last Gen Con took one at 7 SS last game of the tourney with Mei (don't know if he played Mei in earlier games or not). I don't have that kind of pedigree but when I play her in Arcanists it was already darn near an auto take for me, now I'm very much thinking of getting a second one.

I think there was an error in the app. Aaron's actual post only says -1 to cost. The App is likely wrong in this case and will be fixed in an update. That seems to be the guess on the original post anyway. Great if they are 5SS, but more likely they are 6SS

I'm actually liking the Monks of High River for 5 stones. It's true they are in a VERY competitive 5 stone bracket, but they bring something very nice for that price: ml6. I think they might be a decent cheap anti-scheme runner. Ml6 means you will hit a lot of things as plenty of scheme runners are on Df 5. Being able to charge for 3 attacks at the cost of a card is also decently nice. The main downside is that their damage isn't instant due to the burning and burning can be removed.

With Shenlong it might even work better, free (0) focus for 2 focus and then charge in for a 1/2/4 with a possible 2 burning. Works even better if this guy got fast from Shenlong or Yu which means you can stack 4 to 8 burning on a single model while still doing 4 damage.

With Lynch - not recommended, but can work - you can drop an Ace and get it back straight away. Never heard of card disadvantage :P

It's true they are in competition with the Charm Warder and the Brother, but those are defensive models. If you need a decently cheap offensive model, I feel like the Monk of High River might be a decent choice. After all, killing models is the best defense.

I'll probably be trying them out in the coming weeks/months to see what has become of them. It's a bit nostalgic for me as well, as the Shenlong box was my first purchase and I've always been trying to make it work. Unfortunately Lynch is my type of master, so Shenlong hasn't been working out that well for me :(

@whodares If you want a Ml6, 5ss model, take the Komainu.  5ss. Ml6, 2/3/4 damage with triggers for burning or Slow (built-in if near an ancestor).  It also attacks Wp which is pretty good for anti-scheme runners as they often have high df. Armour 1 & HtK. It also has an aggressive Place as a (0).

These guys are so much better, but so often forgotten for some reason...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Da Git said:

@whodares If you want a Ml6, 5ss model, take the Komainu.  5ss. Ml6, 2/3/4 damage with triggers for burning or Slow (built-in if near an ancestor).  It also attacks Wp which is pretty good for anti-scheme runners as they often have high df. Armour 1 & HtK. It also has an aggressive Place as a (0).

These guys are so much better, but so often forgotten for some reason...

Point taken, but I didn't forget about the Komainu. They are just a lot more defensive than the Monk. As you mentioned, their triggers are not built-in, unless they are near an Ancestor, which I find to be a drawback. If I have an Ancestor there, that scheme runner would probably be dead meat anyway.

Allow me to give a comparison between the models:

Monk of High River vs Komainu

• Df6 vs Df 4
  • Ruthless vs Hard to Kill & Armor +1
  • Disengaging strike brings Burning 2 vs nothing
  • Can drop a card to do a 3 AP charge vs nothing
  • Focus gives +1 focus vs + :tome when near Ancestor
  • Ml6/Df/1" vs Ml6/Wp/2"
  • Damage track of 1/2/4 vs 2/3/4
  • built-in :tome trigger to grant :tome burning vs non-built-in  :tome trigger to grant either burning +1 or slow
  • 2" push vs 3" place in base contact
  • nothing vs 6" :aura Ca counter ignoring range

From this comparison you can see that the Monk is a LOT more offensive. Being able to ignore Wp duels means a couple of defenses such as Terrifying will be invalid. He also has a larger threat radius as he can push 2", charge for 6 and have 1" range totaling for a range of 9". Drop a card and get 3 attacks which all inflict burning which pretty puch increases his low damage track of 1/2/4 to at least 2/3/5 and a possible 3/4/6.

Something which also shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that Armor has less of an effect on him. The built-in :tome means you ALWAYS get the burning. Hit the opponent 2 out of 3 times and you will do 3 damage. Hit the opponent 3 times and you will do 3 + 2 = 5 damage. Compare that to the Komainu who will do a maximum of 3 (2ml + 1 burning). Yes, when you hit 2 times with Komainu, you will do thesame amount of damage vs armor as the Monk, but the Monk has the potential to go way higher. Imagine you have 2 high :tome and 1 other decent card in hand. Komainu can put out 2 burning and do 2+2+burning 2 on the opponent. Monk can do 1+1+1+burning 5 on the opponent. Komainu deals 6 damage, monk deals 8. If the opposing model has armor, Komainu deals 3 damage and monk deals 7 damage! That's a very major difference.

I'm guessing the problem right now is twofold:

1. Monk is bad has been almost a meme on these forums and people even refuse to see them in a positive light or what the potential is.
  2. Komainu and other 5 stone models are a lot more survivable than the Monk AND don't have to go face-first into combat.

My personal guess is that the Monk CAN be used, but he will take time to get used to. I'm going to be trying him out and I suggest everyone to try thesame. Just don't charge him into a Nekima or something like that and then cry that he got killed in a single activation, that's not his purpose at all!

• Like 2

On 1/14/2018 at 1:33 AM, whodares said:

Allow me to give a comparison between the models:

Monk of High River vs Komainu

• Df6 vs Df 4
  • Ruthless vs Hard to Kill & Armor +1
  • Disengaging strike brings Burning 2 vs nothing
  • Can drop a card to do a 3 AP charge vs nothing
  • Focus gives +1 focus vs + :tome when near Ancestor
  • Ml6/Df/1" vs Ml6/Wp/2"
  • Damage track of 1/2/4 vs 2/3/4
  • built-in :tome trigger to grant :tome burning vs non-built-in  :tome trigger to grant either burning +1 or slow
  • 2" push vs 3" place in base contact
  • nothing vs 6" :aura Ca counter ignoring range

From this comparison you can see that the Monk is a LOT more offensive. Being able to ignore Wp duels means a couple of defenses such as Terrifying will be invalid. He also has a larger threat radius as he can push 2", charge for 6 and have 1" range totaling for a range of 9". Drop a card and get 3 attacks which all inflict burning which pretty puch increases his low damage track of 1/2/4 to at least 2/3/5 and a possible 3/4/6.

I disagree with the idea that this shows what you want it to show. The Komainu will live longer, which means it gets to hit more often. The Komainu's 0ap action is, in the abstract, going to provide a LOT more movement that just a 2" push, which can help hit more often. The burning on the Monk doesn't apply until the end of the turn, so even if you stack up 4 or more burning on a single model, that model will still get to activate; the Komainu is far more likely to just kill a model and prevent it doing anything at all. You are also neglecting that half the time (even without considering cheating) will hit it's triggers to either apply the same burning as the Monk, or to apply Slow which imo imo imo is WAAAYYY better than just a couple extra points of damage. Unfortunately, the stink of having been bad for years will continue following the Monk because, frankly, it still isn't any good.

• Like 1