Monthly painting challenge - January

Franchute

4 hours ago, misterfinn said:

@Franchute nice smooth blends, on the trousers especially. Do you think you’ll OSL the lantern?

I had it in mind, yes. I should also do the sword's reflection on the other leg (and the metals of course). I'm a bit afraid though; the leg might get worse.

I dont know which colours to use for the OSL. Do you have any suggestion maybe? Orange?

15 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

Well Painted mini, enriched with lots of details.

May I ask you where the base is from? Looks like a wooden floor I was searching for.

Thank you 😄 I made the base myself from plastic cards, I cut out a bunch of pieces roughly the same size, placed them randomly beside eachother and then rounded them. I also drew the point of my hobby knife on the "boards" to simulate veins in the wood. I will base all of the Dark Carnival models the same and if you want to I can PM you some WIP pics of how I do them? 

@Viruk Thank you! Based his coat on the coat Alice Cooper wears in the first picture if you google him 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Franchute said:

I dont know which colours to use for the OSL. Do you have any suggestion maybe? Orange?

Yep. A yellow-orange, I think.  The effect won’t be as dramatic as it would if you were painting a full night time diorama or something. Ambient daylight makes the lantern light less intense by comparison. Here’s a stock photo that shows what I mean:

4510C494-FCCD-4211-A13D-FED8591CBF2A.jpeg.60c4a294da89e4365e1b84e2e8e75dba.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, misterfinn said:

Yep. A yellow-orange, I think.  The effect won’t be as dramatic as it would if you were painting a full night time diorama or something. Ambient daylight makes the lantern light less intense by comparison. Here’s a stock photo that shows what I mean:

4510C494-FCCD-4211-A13D-FED8591CBF2A.jpeg.60c4a294da89e4365e1b84e2e8e75dba.jpeg

Guess it does depend on the colour of the lantern glass. :lol:

You can looks at pics for Kingdom Death Monster minis: almost all of them are carrying a lantern. Lot of picts are available at BGG Kingdom Death Monster page:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55690/kingdom-death-monster

9 hours ago, Monkeyfist said:

Thank you 😄 I made the base myself from plastic cards, I cut out a bunch of pieces roughly the same size, placed them randomly beside eachother and then rounded them. I also drew the point of my hobby knife on the "boards" to simulate veins in the wood. I will base all of the Dark Carnival models the same and if you want to I can PM you some WIP pics of how I do them?

Thanks I got the concept and I'll try to replicate it at proper time.

You did a very professional job with your bases, they look like commercial resin ones. Hope I'll be as able as you.

1 hour ago, Purple Mist said:

Guess it does depend on the colour of the lantern glass. :lol:

You can looks at pics for Kingdom Death Monster minis: almost all of them are carrying a lantern. Lot of picts are available at BGG Kingdom Death Monster page:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55690/kingdom-death-monster

Thanks a lot @Purple Mist. I've found this amazing tutorial on the webpage you recommended:

I'm now a bit worried about how to deal with the sword's OSL on the leg. Given that I already put a highlight on the top of the leg, I dont really know how to proceed now. Maybe just a thin orange glaze 9nthe shadows. What do you guys think?

This tutorial is great. I'll probably get back to it when I'll paint my oxfordian mages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Struggling quite a bit this month.

work has been a nightmare and I’ve been cutting and glueing models ready for tournaments.

have almost finished one boar and making a start on Ophelia later.

May just get a model done this month but then with upcoming tournaments and two crews worth of models glued and undercoated I should be fairly motivated to paint.

• Like 3

Here are the last of my January terrain bits for Ramos' factory.  I may go back and polish up the OSL in the future, but this is not going to happen now---too many things in line.  And so of course I had to go and buy the Steamfitters this week.  Slip that box on the bottom of the pile, I guess. 

large.2018Jan_TransferPipes_1_done.jpg.202ac759308babc4742bd605743763cf.jpglarge.2018Jan_pipes_1.jpg.58791321e53e614cddcbb2956fb95d41.jpg

Regarding a SS cost for these, I told you I was going to challenge the plan this month @Franchute!  How about 5 SS for the larger pieces, and 5 SS for the 4 little ends combined?  This would make this 25 SS.  I also did those two chemical plant pieces, putting me at 35 SS for January. 

• Like 6

On 1/27/2018 at 7:59 PM, Rikk said:

Struggling quite a bit this month.

work has been a nightmare and I’ve been cutting and glueing models ready for tournaments.

have almost finished one boar and making a start on Ophelia later.

May just get a model done this month but then with upcoming tournaments and two crews worth of models glued and undercoated I should be fairly motivated to paint.

Struggling here too - it's my first month on the Malifaux scene and all I seem to be have been doing is putting models together and priming them - I definitely think I got a bit carried away with what I bought to start out! I've got one Witchling Stalker and one Handler finished so far,  though, so looking set to hit my 15SS target (pics should be up tomorrow) . Just have to keep reminding myself that all the other models in various stages are progress towards the rest of the year  :)

• Like 1

@tjgreenway well done - you're off to a good start....assembling and priming takes up a good chunk of free time so by the sounds of it you now have plenty to be getting on with (if my FLGS goes on holiday for six months I still won't run out of models to make)....after you've breathed out give yourself a pat on the back then carry on as you are by just picking out a few models at a time to work on...if you have an overall color scheme in mind then make notes of the paints you are using as you go so that several months down the line you don't find yourself wondering how you arrived at a particular shade or color

Patience is your best friend...some painters with either a ton of talent or expertise,often both, can produce stunning miniatures in the time it takes someone else to open a box and do just the glueing and priming....there are lots of YouTube painting guides that are helpful for painting techniques but again chew into free time...if you're just starting up then simply do the best you can in a way that enables you to enjoy the results of your learning process so that with time and patience you will see progress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving all the work in this thread! here is my humble offering to this thread of inspiration

Candy the Plagued and the Midnight Stalker for my Hamelin crew. After consulting with @wobbly_goggy I changed the overcoat on the stalker which definitely helped draw the eye to the middle of the model. attempted some stubble but you can only see it from the side, but happy I made an attempt at it!

Candy 9ss and Stalker is 8ss so 17ss done this month.

Looking forward to Feb!

hiGeicN.jpg

• Like 8