Monthly painting challenge - January

Franchute

As I promised, here's my finished work for january (One Monk of High river, worth 6 ss for being pledged before the errata) giving me a total of 6ss.

Yeah, painting exactly one miniature in a whole month doesn't seem very impressive (when comparing to the awesome works in this thread at least), but personally this is a big step in mending my absolutely terrible painting schedule. On to the model:

January_Finished_Small.png

Man, I thought this would be a simple piece but it turns out orange fabric is very hard to get right and the pose didn't help with figuring out the model at all. It didn't help either that I couldn't pin the model (cape's too thin and the wrist is in two parts so can't really be drilled through) so I couldn't use my painting handle. Still, I'm happy with the result.

• Like 7

@Amdor, the trick with orange is to start with a medium brown mixed with a touch of red, and, do a below highlight coat with a very light brown (like cocoa), then move onto orange - and don't skimp on the color, because man, those robes the Buddhist monks wear are BRIGHT, and the High Rivers match it. Of course, me, I get lazy and just do orange with a brown ink wash... but I'm lazy. :D 

So here's my pledge for January: 3 Alps, 2 Insidious Madnesses, and a Bandersnatch (21ss). My plans are to use impasto blending of various purples on the Madnesses, then have them 'glowing' with a white ink and ground effect. Failure? Possibly. The Alps, a flat purple with yellow-brown robes and accessories because honestly, I don't see using them much. For the Bandersnatch... I'm conflicted. Get fancy? Just do a black-to-purple blend going up the body? I feel like the latter is the way to go, even if it's boring. Maybe I'll find a pillar or something that the shadow can extend from. I don't like the guy that the 'snatch comes with.

malifaux paint contest jan.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@iamfanboy Thank you for the feedback and the tip, even though my problem was more with execution than theory. Also luckily (or unfortunately) the desaturation is caused more by my potato of a phone camera than the actual model, the highlights on the tabard are almost pure orange. I just wish I could capture it better. The cape did end up way too dark, but properly shading a weirdly aligned, almost full circle and all the folds within is beyong my patience.

• Like 1

It's the glasses that catch my eye more than anything else - I've done that for some commissioned Battletech minis before, that graduation is a beast to do and @Piccio pulled it off most expertly. Bravo!

Unfortunately, my painting hit... a snag. While the impasto worked very nicely on the Insidious Madnesses, unfortunately my attempts to impart a 'glow' incorporeal effect via white ink, with some parts being corporeal (and thus not white inked)... did not work. Just plain did not work. I'm not sure whether to attempt a salvage via drybrushing darker purple, trying to re-emphasize the 'glow', or to just give up on the idea and try a more traditional inking, with a strip-and-repaint if that also fails. At least the Alps are cruising along, and the Bandersnatch is just about done.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Here's the Insid next to Pandora. Is it as bad as I think, or am I just being overly negative?

5a63f34f4b1b4_malifaux-neverbornminioninsidiousmadnesswip2copy.jpg.b5924f5bbf0842c22d0c24758fe39341.jpg

Ehh... I'll try the salvage idea tomorrow. Tonight I'm in a 'ragequit, table flip' mood.

• Like 8

@Viruk I’ll echo the others re: painting time. It’s an impressive and consistent level of quality for the time you’re putting in. I can’t seem to break the four-hour barrier for my models, and my average for Malifaux infantry is 6.5 hours. Well done.

@Burnin' Coal I love the color work you’re doing on the Stitched Togethers. They’re going in my Pinterest painting inspiration board when you get ‘em done, for sure.

@iamfanboy Another +1 on ditching the Bandersnatch dude. Black to purple on the body sounds OK to me. Perhaps you might add some visual interest with the legs and/or the chest? Get some red in there maybe, or green if you want to go high contrast.

Re: the Insid - you might not have accomplished what’s in your head but what you’ve got on the model is looking quite good IMO. The purple body reminds me of a nebula - sort of an ethereal cloudy substance that’s constantly shifting. Taking the purple another stage darker might help to strengthen this effect. Try it on a junk model first.

• Like 2

@misterfinn I don't know exactly how much it takes me to finish a single model but it would probably be something like you or even longer, I just sleep less ;)

Your Freikorps look amazing, great palette of colors and wonderful, smooth highlights with a bright line on the edge to keep some extra contrast - I really like your style.

• Like 2

@misterfinn thankyou for your kind words...I like my Malifaux dark so want my Stitched Togethers to look as unfriendly as can be...glad you like them so far

I must also echo @Viruk in saying what a great palette you have chosen for your Freikorp...a unit I have never given a lot of thought to until now...your brushwork is not only excellent but your scheme is my most preferred to date...look forward to following your progress throughout the coming year

Well, after a horrendous attempt at blending on a Desperate Mercenary that really discouraged me and had me ready to flip tables/burn mini's, I've gone back to what I sort of know and am now having much more fun with my Witchling Handlers and Stalkers. They won't be award winning, that's for sure, but by the time I'm finished (which should be a day or two, so plenty of time to smash my target :D ) they should be passable for using as toy soldiers and I think I'll be proud of my little bubs, so that's enough for me this month! 

I think I just need to work on my basics for a little while again (it's been a while since I painted anything bigger than 10mm! :o) before I try to overcomplicate things :)

• Like 1