Monthly painting challenge - January

Franchute

@Franchute, the model is almost finished :) Tomorrow I have the last exam and then I will finish it and post a picture. The model will be finished, but not finished finished :D I like to let the varnish dry two days, because otherwise it's still a little bit sticky and shiny. After varnishing the model and adding some leaves and such I will take proper pictures and post them on my blog and here as well. I hope this is OK :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

Guys,

The intention of my message was just to motivate you for the last two days in case the message would have an impact :) 

@wobbly_goggy are these models finished? If so, can you please give me your soulstone count?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Guys,

The intention of my message was just to motivate you for the last two days in case the message would have an impact :) 

@wobbly_goggy are these models finished? If so, can you please give me your soulstone count?

Not yet....need some more work to finish up....tomorrow /Wednesday :)

Cramming my before,during and after all into a few days 

@Franchute, I got 'em finished up - then I posted on a local gaming facebook page, "I do commission work" and got flooded with requests. Bretonnian Knights of the Realm, Plaguemarines, and a Bloodbowl Orc team - the last of which is the only piece that actually interests me. But still, earning a few hundred dollars (provided the Bret and Plaguemarine customers are satisfied with these initial pieces and commission more) does make me feel better.

Here's the Alps, bringing me up to 24 Soulstones (Bandersnatch, 2x Insid Madnesses, 3 Alps).

5a6fe3337b350_malifaux-neverbornpeonsalps.jpg.5bc06d6d0e6ffed9d5cdcc07c6a2a2e0.jpg
Quite terrible, actually, but I really don't care about these guys at all. I just insisted that they be finished before I tackle the Dreamer and LCB next month - in between painting for other people. I actually hate doing commission work - there's nothing that murders a hobby faster than doing it as your job IMHO - but until I get a regular job it'll do.

Just as long as I don't have to do 150-ish Zombicide zombies in a month again, along with the heroes.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Franchute said:

Guys,

I appreciate the call for accountability! 

I've been suffering from painting burnout since the 2017 challenge. That being said, i have worked on my models the last couple nights, so should have them complete tonight or tomorrow. Cheers! :-)

5 hours ago, Franchute said:

Guys,

Much appreciated! I have not at all been watching the calendar,  though the first half of the month was rather productive finishing a late Christmas gift for a friend who wants to play but doesn't paint. I'll finish up what I can of the half painted things on my tray, the rest will wait for next month.  Pictures tomorrow or wednesday!

Finished my pledge last night and got some more assembly done (although I snapped the fiddly bits on Taelor :( ),  just in time for games night tonight (there's still going to be a lot of unpainted minis on the table, but it's three less than there would have been :D ). I'm confidant February will be a productive month,  now that I've got a lot of the groundwork done :)

I'll take pictures tonight or tomorrow,  need to get ready to introduce some newbies to the joy of Malifaux now :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Caedrus said:

@wizuriel– Have you ever tried Tamiya X-22 clear gloss? It makes transparents really smooth. Seriously. The stuff is magical.

Biggest problem I had is my glue and paint on primer didn't work very well with the translucent plastic. Just resulted in these models leaving a bad taste in my mouth and been really struggling to put effort into these model.

There has been some stunning work this month. I feel a bit out of my depth looking at some of the painting going on here, but it's good fuel to keep pushing to get better. 

@Franchute – I love the dull metal look on the Guardian.

@Viruk– I really like the white on your Grimwell and co. It’s the perfect level of dirty. The splatter effect on the one orderly is awesome too. That Scion though, good god that thing is awesome. I’m going to feel bad when I have to paint that in the coming months… The fading off of the color on the robe down on the lower left is really amazing.

@Joachim – I think that blue/grey gradient effect working into the ice looks really good. The eyes as well, you really nailed. I agree wholeheartedly about how hard they are and that setting them off center usually ends in a better overall facial dynamic… but it is incredibly difficult to get right. Kudos for knocking that out of the park.

@Burnin' Coal – Those stitched have a really great color swirl. That is an awesome blend you got there, I really like them!

@misterfinn – I agree with @Viruk, you have a very clean style that is really attractive. Your models look really clean and very nicely detailed.

@RustAndTheCity – Man, that Zipp is epic. Did you replace his whole head? I thought the Boba Fett conversion I saw of him on AWP would stand as the greatest Zipp conversion ever, but you put it to shame. Beautiful work.

@Purple Mist – I like the brass look on your miners and golems.

@Monkeyfist – That jacket is really good, and I love the color scheme.

@Piccio – Your Anna is simply stunning. She is in my cart of next purchases and I’m going to be embarrassed posting pictures looking at that! The greens, the reflection on the glasses, her eyes! Man, you’re really good.

@Kogan Style – I love the back of the stalker’s jacket, that blend of colors and the effect is amazing.

Stellar work all, and I can't wait to see what this group comes up with in February! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2