Bookcases into Table

Paddywhack

So I finally finished my table. I decided to create some extra storage at the same time and actually made it two bookcases and two hanging shelves. The bookcases go back to back and latch together to create a 37" square play top (was afraid to try and make it exactly 36" in case I screwed up somewhere - this worked out as it gave me room for the hanging hooks I decided to go with for the play shelves). The shelves can hang from any side of the table, so it's easier to move your stuff if you want. Could have saved a bit of money if I had used plywood, but I don't have a table saw and I hate trying to get them to cut at the store. My tools are limited as well, so not all the joints are as flush as I'd like, but a little wood putty and everything seems to be good. There are a ton of pocket screws on this thing.  Felt pads on the bottom let me slide it on the floor very easily. Last minute I made a couple of quick hanging cup holders as well that work great. 

Broke it in yesterday with a game of Yan Lo vs Asami. Glad to say I won and Yan Lo beat Asami into the ground :) Only the second time I've beat that opponent, but he was a bit out of practice. 

Here's a link to a few pictures. Need to get a few more. 

12/31 - Added a few more pictures of the hooks I used, the holes they sit in, and the cup holder. I really like the holes for the shelves as it means they can't slide side to side when on the table. They are through bolted in a 1x3 board across the back of the top of each shelf. 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkfXqHIwwjCDgp1g1cM0x0LFFRSs6w 

• Like 5

Fantastic idea. I've seen many tables with shelves underneat or with integrated shelves, but not a table of pushed-together shelves. That's really cool if you need to save space. Right now I am lucky enough to have a room big enough for a fixed table but once my son gets the room and I have to move to the smaller one, that is going to be very helpful :D.

2 hours ago, misterfinn said:

Brilliant! Love the beverage holder in pic 7. In pic 8 it looks like you've got an accessory area for cards/tokens/whatever that hooks on to the main table. Where do you store that piece? 

Those are the hanging shelves on the wall above the bookcases. I put loops on the wall along with some supports that they can sit on when not in use.

Since the 'table' is only 37" I needed something for people to put cards and stuff on. Those shelves are about 9" wide by 37", giving plenty of space for stuff. Plus, the shelves can be hooked on any side of the table. You can set up the table and then whoever gets to choose sides is free to choose any side they like. 

Thank you! I'm quite happy with it overall. Wish I could have afforded something nicer than pine for it. Even a nice plywood would have looked better I think. So far it's great for games though and gives me plenty of space to store stuff out of the way. My game/craft room is rather narrow and we already have more furniture than I like in that room.