Problems with Marcus and Miranda...

RedMacho

Hello guys! I have a problem with playing against marcus and miranda. 2 times in a row i have lost. First time i played with Ophelia crew, second time with ulix.

My lists:

Ophelia, young lacroix, francois, lucky emissary with ophelia's conflux, lenny, rami, raphael and burt jebsen. I tried to kill all of his guys but because of his leaps i couldn't catch him, he placed a lot of scheme markers and i killed almost everybody except december. And his miranda transformed into one more panther. For me it was hard to win...

Ulix with hussbandry,pig sling and corn husks, old mayor, 3 wild boars, slop hauler, penelope and warpig. Raptors blocked the way for pigs and marcus came into close combat, at the 3rd turn he killed ulix and old mayor, so tha game was lost. I tried to play on schemes but his raptors blocked the way...

If somebody had any experience against playing marcus can u give me some tips or any advices please? Thank you in advance!

What were the schemes? Raptors are peons so can't block most marker schemes from scoring and they can't remove markers so they shouldn't screw most schemes up. If you inted to do claim jump you need to make sure the raptors are dead asap, if you don't know how to do that you need to pick another scheme.

In the first game where you nearly tabled Marcus you should probably have stopped killing and started doing your schemes at some point. If you can table someone you should generally be able to leave a few models alone and get your schemes done. You could probably swap someone for the rocket girl or a couple of bayous to give you some competent scheme runners. 

What schemes did you opponent score from? Could you have denied those more effectively?

Ulix is really susceptible to being caught in engagements. Try using pushes on your own models to disengage from the raptors.

• Like 2

If Raptors are causing you a problem and cost you the game, save your good cards to kill them. They only have 4 wounds. You could use the push trigger on the pig charges to disengage other models. 

What it sounds like is that you didn't have a plan that coped with the enemy, and that is going to be a problem regardless of the master you face. Because the 2 marcus lists seemed to stop you in complety different ways. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2017 at 2:49 PM, RedMacho said:

Hello guys! I have a problem with playing against marcus and miranda. 2 times in a row i have lost. First time i played with Ophelia crew, second time with ulix.

Ulix with hussbandry,pig sling and corn husks, old mayor, 3 wild boars, slop hauler, penelope and warpig. Raptors blocked the way for pigs and marcus came into close combat, at the 3rd turn he killed ulix and old mayor, so tha game was lost. I tried to play on schemes but his raptors blocked the way...

If somebody had any experience against playing marcus can u give me some tips or any advices please? Thank you in advance!

First advice I would offer, give Old Major the Corn Husks Upgrade. This clears up a space on Ulix for another 1 SS upgrade. I would seriously look at either the Clobbering Stick (for a high damage 0 Action attack that is 1 better than Marcus' Defense) or the Throw Yer Voice (a good upgrade for disengaging and positioning your pigs around the field) upgrades. Since the Raptors seem to be giving your pigs an issue I might also recommend altering the crew build a bit to accommodate for better positioning (free movement and disengaging) and also better aid in churning out piglet summons (or why are you attaching Husbandry and Corn Husks). With these upgrades the Wild Boars are really not assisting and are truthfully dead weight (Even with Penelope up-field directing them they generally wont delay your opponent enough to replace their cost with Summons in the back-field).

I would recommend this list instead:

Ulix                                      Cache 4

• Husbandry
  • Pig Sling (not really a choice against Marcus)
  • Throw Yer Voice

Old Major

• Corn Husks
  • Saddle

Penelope

War Pig

Piglet

Piglet

Piglet

Slop Hauler

Hog Whisperer

Though you lose the ability to pressure Marcus on turn 1, you could potentially gain a summoned War Pig and 2 Summoned Piglets (cards providing of course) in its place (17 SS value). Deployment is key to this, but with that set up it is possible to throw out the required 3 Friendly Scheme Markers with 0 Actions on the Piglets and still have them rush the Center to pressure Marcus Turn 2. The Slop Hauler does what they do best and keeps the engine churning while Old Major leads the Charge up-field (this is why Old Major has the Saddle upgrade, the Slop Hauler's activations are too precious to waste on Walking anywhere, especially when it can be provided for free). Also keep in mind it is possible to position your models in such a way that Marcus can not target Ulix with :melee2 Attack Actions until the intervening model has been killed (this can also prevent the Marcus player from exploiting that Take to the Sky action to Bury them and unbury them at the end of turn next to a vulnerable model). Add in Old Majors huge stature and it is possible to shield Ulix from Marcus' view altogether (at least until he moves to a position that LOS can be drawn from). The Throw Yer Voice Upgrade and the Hog Whisperer allow you to Push your models out of Engagement without having to worry about Disengaging Strikes (Pushes are not Walk Actions even if they use the Wk stat). Running Ulix and the Hog Whisperer allows you better options for positioning your stampeding Pigs and dictating the fight (this is a bit of a throw back to the old Pig Boomerang from last edition). Penelope can assist with disengaging and positioning as well via the Herding 0 Action (though it is only for one Pig it is a really powerful action).

The key to all of this is to protect the vital underbelly that keeps the ball rolling. Ulix and the Slop Hauler will be positioned close to Old Major (and hidden from direct view without movement by a targeting model) but that Hog Whisperer will be running a flank (to aid in positioning and extraction). You can lose the Hog Whisperer and still be fine, but once that Slop Hauler is gone the summon engine grinds to a halt (this is why a lot of Gremlin players hire two though you will lose the Hog Whisperer positioning contributions). You need to have a decisive advantage in model value before that happens. Positioning is vital as is activation order. Play around with the models to figure out how to position to hamper LOS, melee range, and placement effects (I have some photos posted on the forum that show a couple of these though I don't recall where they are). Activation order will depend on a lot of factors but in general lead with your Piglets, War Pigs, Penelope, and the Hog Whisper before you start Old Major, Ulix and the Slop Hauler (the Slop Hauler should almost always go last to heal what ever was summoned and the models they came from). Summoned models will go after the rest and usually be positioned to fills gaps in the Pig Wall and lead the next turns activations rather than directly engaging the opponent.

Try some of that and see if your results don't improve. The keys to Ulix are mobility, positioning, and attrition (Marcus can't replace lost models). Try thinking of the crew as squadrons. The big Pigs are your "Bombers" while the Piglets are your "fighters". Lead with the fighters to deliver the Bombers. Old Major, Ulix, the Slop Hauler, Penelope, and the Hog Whisperer are your ground crew. They shouldn't be doing much if any of the real fighting.

Hopefully some of that ramble helps...

• Like 3