I think Corpse Armour can be ok on him. It is more expensive at 1ss but if you just use your (0) to cycle through the other two upgrades you're quickly glad that you have permanent +1 Armour. I don't always take it though.

I always go for Squid because it doesn't need an 8+ card just to work like his Hulking Leap. Squid's nice because when discarded he gains Focus +1 for free so it instantly makes his ranged attack better.

Most of the time it's Armour + Squid, trading Squid for Leap once I'm in combat. Sometimes I take Leap + Squid just because I cannot spare another SS.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Freman said:

grave spirit

Graveyard Spirit*.

The Grave Spirit is that dark brooding entity from another dimension that any self respecting Ressurectionist (read:Seamus) worships! The Graveyard Spirit, is distinct. I think it's just some small shred of necromantic essence that lingers around graveyards?

But, yeah that can work. Graveyard Spirit model is super solid. I've heard and seen Archie being hired mostly with Molly and Nicodem, and Graveyard Spirit fits in well enough in such crews.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one tried him with Yan Lo?

Seems like lightning dance and lots of pummels would a not be an overly complicated way to score eliminate, quick murder etc. I prefer transcendence for an important turn of scheme running, but an extra AP and armour +2 would certainly assist those master kills. Adding on decaying aura probably breaks the bank, but with his potential durability and Yan's reliable heal, it might be worth it. A nurse accomplicing with hallucinogens would also be a fun option.     

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 4:03 AM, jolly_green314 said:

Why not MLH and leap? Give him the dark protection turn 1, and then get rid of the upgrade for something else. Then he's protected while you move him into position...

It's not a bad idea, actually. Seems really cute on Close Deployment or possible Flank. I think the biggest drawback would be that MLH is Rare 2 and oftens shows up twice in my lists and I'm not sure if Archie's playstyle always deserves one of those copies. He doesn't have great (0)s compared with other models that may want to hold MLH. Sure, you can try Leap twice, but you still need to flip or cheat two 8+ cards to jump 3" (admittedly about 5" after abusing the placement mechanic) so it seems a little lacklustre. 

It might well be worth it if you're running an elite killy crew.

1 hour ago, hydranixx said:

It's not a bad idea, actually. Seems really cute on Close Deployment or possible Flank. I think the biggest drawback would be that MLH is Rare 2 and oftens shows up twice in my lists and I'm not sure if Archie's playstyle always deserves one of those copies. He doesn't have great (0)s compared with other models that may want to hold MLH. Sure, you can try Leap twice, but you still need to flip or cheat two 8+ cards to jump 3" (admittedly about 5" after abusing the placement mechanic) so it seems a little lacklustre. 

It might well be worth it if you're running an elite killy crew.

Who else are you finding to be good candidates for MLH?  Aside from Emissary obviously...

Eh, it's ok on the Emissary. I really, really love generic Carrion Conflux since it makes Belles, Nurses, Hanged etc disgusting. 

For me MLH is close to auto take on any of: Vincent, Phillip, Datsue Ba, Toshiro, Mortimer (if with Corpse Bloat+Nico) - to the point where I'd take it with them 100% if they don't already have 2 upgrades.

For me it's also a very strong pick on Anna, Rogue Necromancy (similar to Archie in the sense you don't actually care about double (0) but the protection is still amazing for him and he's much cheaper and more accurate than Archie) and Yin - to the point where I'd take it on them 100% if I have a spare SS I'm not sure what to do with after a full 7 cache.

• Like 1

Tonight I tried MLH on Archie see what happens... and  it's actually not too bad. Turns out Min 4 with effectively better than Disguised for a turn is amazing.

His prohibitive cost means it's unlikely you can afford him and two other must-take-MLH models anyway.

I'm undecided in it's true value but I'm glad to have given it a spin at least. 

On 1/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, hydranixx said:

If you were so inclined, you could leap once, use his "What did it just throw?" once, and discard the mlh upgrade. Then, take his "stapled on" as your second 0 action. It's not the upgrade that lets him take two 0s, it's the condition from the upgrade, so, once you give him the condition, you don't really need the upgrade any more. 

Bonus points if you get the "extra pieces" trigger of "what did it just throw" to take the "stapled on" for free, and then use it to attach "doc found a squid today". 

• Like 2

Were I to hire him and buy MLH, I would be so inclined, in fact. 

There's definitely merit to considering buying it on Archie if you've decided to hire him as it does give him quite a lot, though the decision whether or not to actually hire him in the first place at 13ss + upgrades is a different consideration entirely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...