Sign in to follow this  
Nef

Iron Painter 2017 - Round Five Announcement

Thank you. I will try:

21 hours ago, Octavus said:

Ok , small quiz while time gets killed:

1)You strongest work along all five rounds -your opinion (if you participated)

2)Most memorable entries of other participants : name 2-3

3)Which themes you hoped for but never happened? which theme was you favorite?

4)One regret during all competition?

5)Any real life limitations which were challenging during these months?

1) round 3 and last one

2) Water from @Whirler, Boatmen in the cup from @Dirty, eggs of  @glamage , scared boy in the forest from  @Monomatana 

3)Air, I hoped to build an airship ) Loved WAter and OSL, hardest to think about was Murphy's law

4)Came with even better idea for Snow apocalypse but too late

5) Yes, had two trips abroad and first one, just did not realize how hard to get some usual resources in the unfamiliar place

1. My entry for Murphy's Law

2. @Joe Cool and his Pirates, Union Workshop from @SevenThirtySeven, Underwater by @Whirler, Nemo by @glamage and soo many others

3. Any type of Duel or Standoff

4. My lazy last entry. My last entry being my second weakest is ... bah!

5. Nothing big, just usual hustle

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Octavus said:

I’m incredibly flattered to see a few people mention 3 of my pieces in the memorable categories. I’ve seen myself as a bit of an also ran and it is genuinely moving to hear people found my work especially notable. *a little tear in eye*

Here are my answers

1. Probably round 2 - Nemo

2. @SevenThirtySeven‘s workshop was awesome and I never thought I’d get past him in round 2. @Whirler‘s rotating piece in round 3 was another highlight and so many of the pieces in round 2 - @icatsai‘s and @Dirtys especially. Also the @Octavus piece that knocked me out in round 4.  I could mention loads more but I’ve already gone above the limit. 

3. I had been hoping for something undead related as I had a specific model in mind but overall I think the themes were really good. All were challenging and interesting enough that they needed something specific.

4. I’d have loved to spend longer on all of the rounds. Also I wish I’d got to use some wyrd Miniatures. I bought quite a few for ideas for the themes but ended up gravitating towards the bigger models as I felt I could do better with them in the time. 

5. My partner and I had our first baby in August and juggling a busy period at work, Christmas and a new born really ramped up the stress levels. It was definitely worth it though and I’m so glad I entered. 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2018 at 1:23 PM, Octavus said:

Okay, I'll play too.

1) Round 3, "Ladies of Redchapel" followed closely by round 2, "Terror on the Winter's Waves" 

2) Round 2 @Guslado "Night Fishing", I was worried about being paired up against you, I'm glad I wasn't. Round 4 @helldrad "Murphy's Law", I loved the RoboCop model. Round 2 @gribble "Nor any Drop to Drink", the Beermancer will definitely come up in one of my games :D

3) I was hoping for a Halloween theme in October, Tribute to the Blood God, Invaders from Other World, or Through the Breach.

4) I wish I had submitted a stronger piece in round 1, but lack of time was a major factor.

5) My job gets ridiculously busy towards the end of the year, plus holiday/family obligations. I very nearly had to DNF in the final round, but I crammed 3 weeks of work into just a couple of days. I had to take shortcuts I didn't want to, like not painting details in areas that would not be photographed.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, Octavus said:

Oooo, what fun! Lets see...

1) I liked my first round entry most, the miner because it was the simplest and most effective. I had hoped to keep them all in that vein but it was not to be and I overcomplicated some of my later ones I think. 

2) Gosh so many I loved! I have to say I loved @glamage Round 3 entry, "Stranger Egg".
Also @Infern0 Round 1 entry "Thud". Both simple but very striking.

3) I didn't really have any idea what themes to expect being my first IP and I was surprised by the technical theme of round 1. I suppose I might have hoped for a continuation of that with an NMM theme as it would have forced me into trying it. I have always shied away from attempting it. 

4) My only regret was slacking in Round 3 and getting knocked out of Gold. I was so surprised to make it into gold in the first place so I wasn't really surprised to be knocked out of it. I just wish I had gone having submitted a better piece. 

5) I wish IP had stayed in it's old slot of springtime as the end of the year is usually really busy for me workwise. I found I had very little time and I had to compromise my painting quality a lot. I was working away from home for a few weeks too (that contributed to my awful effort in round 3). I can't really moan too much though. I've achieved way more than I thought I would and I'm really proud to have made it through to the end. 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2018 at 3:22 PM, DarthSlider said:

There are rules of this event and peoples in eliminated still share prize pool with rest of bronze winners. Prizes are not a reason to participate, but it would be unfair to people in bronze who spent time and resources for themed works in case if someone from elims, who was even out of theme would win some prizes.

The Eliminated are not scored by easy way out.  For that matter, Neither are the Bronze.  That was a point total score. It has been phrased many ways over the years I've played, generally asking for more than a base coat on the model.  But If you assign a "must be hire than this # points" and you have two groups not being scored points... Then by default I imagine no one can be below that.  If you take it by the way the rule is phrased.. says nothing about "oh and is in theme"  Since they end up in the same pool, and the Bronze do have extra entries for making it that far, I don't see the advantage?  Some may argue my last Bronze entry wasn't on theme even though I felt it was. Anything that subjective should not be all or nothing.  That's why scoring is divided into categories and done by more than one person.

On 1/6/2018 at 4:26 PM, icatsai said:

5) I wish IP had stayed in it's old slot of springtime as the end of the year is usually really busy for me workwise. I found I had very little time and I had to compromise my painting quality a lot. I was working away from home for a few weeks too (that contributed to my awful effort in round 3). I can't really moan too much though. I've achieved way more than I thought I would and I'm really proud to have made it through to the end. 

I imagine that this is because summer convention season, especially GenCon always seemed to muck things up.  Including time commitment for judges as the # of entries increased.

There are some really close matches in bronze!

One that's 49/51 and two that are a 50/50 tie! Voting ends tonight, right? So only 12 hours left. 

13 minutes ago, Whirler said:

There are some really close matches in bronze!

One that's 49/51 and two that are a 50/50 tie! Voting ends tonight, right? So only 12 hours left. 

It does end at midnight EST tonight!  It's definitely exciting in the bronze tier this time around.

On 06.01.2018 at 2:25 AM, sycorax said:

1. The Ferryman, My Water Water Everywhere entry, as it gave my opponent a tough fight, even if my entry ultimately lost. 

2. Round 3's Sick Sad World by @DarthSlider and Round 4's What Can Go Wrong by @glamage , Round 5's Tracking a Tyrant by @Annanas

3.  A "Duel" based theme would have been a cool choice

4. Hands down my photography skills

5. Not really, Just running around like a madman trying to find suitable materials which slowed me down immensely

Wow, thanks. I'm glad you like my work!

4 hours ago, DarthSlider said:

Wow, thanks. I'm glad you like my work!

It sticks in my head because I found it entirely too relateable. Plus it was well crafted and the wisp grabbing its head was an inspired choice to convey the despair. 

51 minutes ago, Guslado said:

I am eagerly anticipating the results! Can’t wait to see how everything ended up going!

Me too. Keep checking back every hour or so :-)

now I’ve had a rest im really going to miss the iron painter - can’t we keep it going all year? Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, glamage said:

Me too. Keep checking back every hour or so :-)

now I’ve had a rest im really going to miss the iron painter - can’t we keep it going all year? Lol

I won't miss the crazy pace, but I do enjoy being able to paint some fun things with no intention of putting them onto a tabletop. I suppose I should get back to work on painting some models to use in game though...

I could do Iron Painter all year round, but I don't think my wife would approve :D

I have started on a bust for some change of pace for now. This is 'the messenger'. I got it about 4 years ago, shortly after I started painting. But I didn't feel up to the challenge before. I had hoped to use it for one of the Iron Painter rounds, but it didn't quite fit any of the themes. And this way I have plenty of time to add in some extra details ;)

Is anyone planning on going back to their entries and fixing them up now that you have more time? I am planning on doing some touch-ups on a few of them, to make them as good as I can.

messenger.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whirler said:

I could do Iron Painter all year round, but I don't think my wife would approve :D

I have started on a bust for some change of pace for now. This is 'the messenger'. I got it about 4 years ago, shortly after I started painting. But I didn't feel up to the challenge before. I had hoped to use it for one of the Iron Painter rounds, but it didn't quite fit any of the themes. And this way I have plenty of time to add in some extra details ;)

Is anyone planning on going back to their entries and fixing them up now that you have more time? I am planning on doing some touch-ups on a few of them, to make them as good as I can.

I'm going to have a go at my first bust soon too, yours is looking great so far. I'm afraid of the larger areas of skin! 

I will maybe do some more work on my Round 2 entry (gremlins on the boat) as one of them has fallen off! Other than that, no plans other than find another competition to try :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whirler said:

Is anyone planning on going back to their entries and fixing them up now that you have more time?

I just now finished magnetizing my skink from round 2. I made a gaming base to fit the model on, which is stored in the hollow underside of the display base when not in use. It's the best thing I've ever painted and I probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for Iron Painter.

• Like 5