GG18 Master choices and tricks

KingCrow

With GG18 basically finalized and its release right around the corner, what are people's thoughts on what masters to bring for each new strategy?  Any tricks or personally strategies they plan to use for each strategy or scheme?  

I recently tried out a Colette Slow build (posted under the Colette stickied thread) playing Ply For Information and it was fantastic.  0 AP interactions while giving the enemy only 1 AP to use was quite strong.  Plus, with Amina to protect Colette and the Steamfitter to give her Armor +1, it combo'd well to help her survive.  

I found Public Execution a little hard as I played Vs TT and the Low River Monk just removed the condition.  It's going to be a huge swing when models like the LRM, Johan and Chiaki can remove those conditions.  

1 hour ago, KingCrow said:

I found Public Execution a little hard as I played Vs TT and the Low River Monk just removed the condition.  It's going to be a huge swing when models like the LRM, Johan and Chiaki can remove those conditions.  

Maybe Ironsides and her challenge aura to make it harder for the Low River Monks to do the removal?

Or maybe this is a use for the "I Need a Volunteer!"  zero action on "Audience Participation".  The Monk of Low River is a minion that is immune to slow that will tend to want to activate late in the turn. I'm not sure if that's worth 2 points and an upgrade slot but it's an almost sure fire way to keep the Monk from using his one inch condition removal attack. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KingCrow said:

Looking back, do you think you could've handled it better? Monk needs to be within 6'' to remove the condition (walk+attack) assuming no movement shenanigans. It's pretty easy to kill so keeping it that close is always a risk.

Agreed with Johan, Chiaki and other such models. Ranged offensive condition removal has a lot of potential.

I think this year will easily be dominated by Deep, Marcus and Ironsides. Ramos lost his big strategy with interference changing to ours. Mei, Kaeris, Raspy and Colette just don't bring enough to the table to justify them. At least on a competitive level. As far as individual strategies:

Marcus and Toni can do Public and Ours really well.

Deep can do Symbols, Wagons and Ply pretty easily. 

Colette has a bit of play in Wagons, I think as Prompt allows a model to keep up with the wagon, but I don't know if she's better than Deep would be at it. 

4 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

Ramos lost his big strategy with interference changing to ours.

That definitely does hurt him, but Vox Populi being able to turn models into Peons is probably going to end up being really good, especially combined with Amina doing the same.  Turning two enemies into Peons each turn can really mess with your enemy's plans!

Just now, retnab said:

That definitely does hurt him, but Vox Populi being able to turn models into Peons is probably going to end up being really good, especially combined with Amina doing the same.  Turning two enemies into Peons each turn can really mess with your enemy's plans!

Play it and get back to me! I'd love to be convinced that upgrade is halfway decent. 

3 hours ago, retnab said:

I don’t think that Ramos will be bad at Ours. He has the same 50 stones to hold

quadrants that his opponent does and can summn spiders to run schemes or attack eney models holding dow 

• Like 2

Ramos gives up almost nothing to summon since he doesn't bring a ton of otherwise inneficient models, he just needs a single scrap marker to get going. Joss also drops scrap markers for you while reducing enemy ss on later turns.

Ours is the first quadrant strat where summoners are actually playing somewhat on par with normal masters. People seem to forget that summoners (except Dreamer) start with exactly as many ss to hire a crew for as everyone else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

Play it and get back to me! I'd love to be convinced that upgrade is halfway decent. 

That's very much the plan! :D I'm fairly confident the Strike Markers can be good, at the least they slow down the enemy with Severe and the 3/4/4 spread is pretty good.  I'm thinking of taking the Malifaux Child with him and dropping 4 Hazardous Severe markers around the board to mess with enemy charge lanes and punish anyone who wants to take out your Scheme Markers.  Arcane Reservoir's a must of course, so it's down to Field Generator and have all 3 of his AP called for each turn or Under Pressure to have a free AP for other things.

1 hour ago, retnab said:

That's very much the plan! :D I'm fairly confident the Strike Markers can be good, at the least they slow down the enemy with Severe and the 3/4/4 spread is pretty good.  I'm thinking of taking the Malifaux Child with him and dropping 4 Hazardous Severe markers around the board to mess with enemy charge lanes and punish anyone who wants to take out your Scheme Markers.  Arcane Reservoir's a must of course, so it's down to Field Generator and have all 3 of his AP called for each turn or Under Pressure to have a free AP for other things.

Why not Power core? Seems like he could use that exta AP to start sniping stuff that's stuck on the other side of those markers

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 4:44 AM, Nikodemus said:

Looking back, do you think you could've handled it better? Monk needs to be within 6'' to remove the condition (walk+attack) assuming no movement shenanigans. It's pretty easy to kill so keeping it that close is always a risk.

For that game, I had played Marcus in to Asami so with a full melee crew, it was hard not to be in range of the Monk.  The positive side to that game was that I managed to Alpha Asami (who had the Flicker upgrade on her) and had her summon a Tengu, using up all her flicker and she "flickered" out of existence.  The other player went in to damage control mode and started to attack and kill his own models to deny me VP.  Was a good strategy of his but I still got my full points for Undercover Entourage on Marcus and two points for Dig their Graves. 

I see Sandeep having more play that Colette in Wagons but I feel that Colette definitely has a niche role to fill in Ply for Info.  Getting that Condition early is important and handing out some Slow from her new upgrade lessens the chances of your opponent hitting severe damage. 

I haven't seen much of new Ramos and am curious to see how he does in GG18.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I need to double check the wording in Ply for Information, but I think that the Steamfitter’s buff would make the condition harder to remove.

Definitely.  At least in regards to when severe damage is dealt.  This why I'm going to make sure to bring one along every time. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Summoners usually need more soulstones in reserve though.

That's all dependent on how you run the master. If you think your best bet is to get more summons in to help protect you crew to let you score, then the (up to) 6 ss spent on cache may well be better spent there than on an extra model. If you play to only summon occasionally then you can get away with only using your cache to support your summoning. But you can make exactly the same argument about upgrades. I personally feel Marcus is one of the weaker masters if you don't use upgrades because his limited upgrades are so strong. So I could say if I play Marcus I'm restricted to only 49 ss to build my crew.  Viks are probably even more extreme in "needing" 5+ss worth of upgrades. But those are all choices of the player when they build their crew

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Summoners usually need more soulstones in reserve though.

Sandeep starts with four soulstones and McCabe with two. If Sandeep needs a full cache and McCabe settle for five stones they spend as many on cache. Outcasts generally don't summon and have a cache of one or two so I wouldn't day summoners as a group are handicapped in that regard.