The "Biggest Hand" Crew

Bazlord_Prime

Have just started playing Guild Lucius, and it struck me that in Neverborn, he's got access to quite a few card draw/cycle models, and that he could make up a crew that's fairly disgusting re: ^that.

Question is, would that crew be able to actually play any Strats & Schemes with any hopes of success? Then again, Maybe the better question is, "Is there a crew that could do this trick better"?

So here goes:

Declared Faction: Neverborn 
Crew Name: Most Card-Cycle Crew 50ss 
Leader: Lucius - Cache:(4)
   Deep Pockets 2ss 
   On Wings of Darkness 1ss 
Primordial Magic 2ss 
Doppleganger 7ss 
Bloodwretch 5ss 
Bloodwretch 5ss 
Anna Lovelace 9ss 
Hannah 10ss 

That still leaves up to 7ss for something else, and since this crew is a bit short on damage, I'm not really sure what else to plink in there.

Anyway, this would give the crew a have size of 8 cards ("Arcane Reservoir" on Lucius & Hannah). It would draw 10 cards each turn & discard 2 ("Rush of Magic" on Puke Snake & Anna). If it stoned for cards, it would see 3 instead of 2 ("On Wings of Darkness"). If the Blood Wretches use "The Rage Builds" then damage something, you draw 2 cards & discard 1 (I also threw them in there for some cheap Scheme Running potential). When Lucius activates, he can chuck a card for another one, and if it's lower than the card discarded, he can draw again ("Deep Pockets"). "Ill Omens" on the Doppleganger then ought to pretty much guarantee Initiative.

Thoughts? I reckon that seeing & holding so many cards ought to bring a distinct advantage no matter what the Scheme pool, however: all the cards in the world won't really matter if you're not able to engage your opponent in a challenging manner. Ie, if you can't bring reasonable Attacks against them, and if you don't have reasonable defenses, all those 13s in your hand still won't overcome a superior model's higher stat + an 11 or 12.. 

• Like 1

Dopple, Anna and Hannah are by no means bad models. Not a big fan of bloodwretches and since they look as if they might need to scheme run i this crew they might not get to drsw many cards anyway.

I've seen some strange Lust + Lynch card spam but I think this list would have better shot at working since you aren't spending a single ap building that advantage.

• Like 1

Take a couple of changelings to scheme run instead of the wretches and spend some stones on a nice minion with good stats perhaps. If little scheme running is required you could possibly turn the wretches into illuminated and rely on extra actions from Lucius for what few interacts you would need.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Take a couple of changelings to scheme run instead of the wretches and spend some stones on a nice minion with good stats perhaps. If little scheme running is required you could possibly turn the wretches into illuminated and rely on extra actions from Lucius for what few interacts you would need.

That sounds good - some decent options there, depending on what the Schemes are. 

Didn't mean that Hannah et al were bad models - just that there's a feeling of a distinct lack of synergy in the above. Lucius can always do his Commanding Presence thing on them tho.

One tortuous side avenue that Anna Lovelace opens up is to summon Mindless Zombies with her Attack (with the Doppleganger copying), and bring along a Domador de Cadaveres to turn them into cards. That's really, really stretching it tho.

1 hour ago, Aegnor said:

On gremlins you Can juste take crier+aionus+slop hauler. You Can cycle a lot. There is a topic un gremlin faction subforum on how to abuse it with ulix

Sammy and Old Cranky can also cycle one more per turn.

I think something like Zoraida with Crystal Ball, Crier, Sammy might be a decent card stacky crew? Focus on Bewitch with Zoraida, Sammy holds Aetheric Punishment to snipe people. Zoraida draws a card at the start of her activation, Sammy then gets to discard and draw, and then because Sammy discarded, the crier gets to draw (that's how it works right? don't have book 5 yet). Then having bewitched a couple of things and maybe got some Obeys off, you'll be drawing a nice chunk of cards off that. Probably not the best, but it's really cheap, 15 or 16 stones for that little combo (can't remember how much Aetheric Punishment costs), and that's going to draw you a lot.

If you don't need a functional crew, Som'er + Family Tree with one Banjonista and 14 Bayou Gremlins can draw his entire deck into his hand if he summons 4 more, but it's a pointless waste of time beyond being able to say "hey I drew my whole deck", since it involves killing pretty much your entire crew.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ludvig said:

How are you even bringing the domador into neverborn? Giving up wings and primordial to add another model with anti-synergy because it won't be able to obey anything useful seems like digging a deeper hole. ;) 

Doh! I keep mentally switching back to Guild, because I'm currently playing Lucius there. My bad! 

11 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Some resser master with Philip, Anna and Hannah could probably get a really big hand. Nico draws for each undead killed or sacced near him so you can get an awful lot of cards with him. Som'er has a similar interaction with gremlins.

That's true - Som'er can pull out a lot of cards, but it is dependent on using AP to splat a lot of Bayous, and have a Banjonista or two having around. Sammy & Old Cranky would give draw & redraw. The new Criers would also help that (for a while). I think Som'er's strength there is in sacking both player's hands, then rebuilding his own.

The Rezzers I'll have to look into. Next time we do a Campaign, Of be interested in trying out Nicodem or Molly, so it'll be good to take a look at the possibilities.

9 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

If you don't need a functional crew, Som'er + Family Tree with one Banjonista and 14 Bayou Gremlins can draw his entire deck into his hand if he summons 4 more, but it's a pointless waste of time beyond being able to say "hey I drew my whole deck", since it involves killing pretty much your entire crew.

That's SO Gremlin that it would be worth doing, especially against someone who hates the Faction. Two distinct looks on their faces:

- when you deploy 14 "OP" Bayou Gremlins (using thread spools as proxies, because who owns 14+ Bayou Gremlins??), in a concentric mass around the Banjonista;

- when you then kill all of them Turn 1 in an orgy of Drunk & Reckless Dumb Luck triggers (maybe with some Ricochets and Blasts mixed in for variety), and draw all your cards into hand, only to end the turn with Som'er surrounded by Corpse Markers, and have to discard your hands back down to six...

I *love* it!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

That's SO Gremlin that it would be worth doing, especially against someone who hates the Faction. Two distinct looks on their faces:

- when you deploy 14 "OP" Bayou Gremlins (using thread spools as proxies, because who owns 14+ Bayou Gremlins??), in a concentric mass around the Banjonista;

- when you then kill all of them Turn 1 in an orgy of Drunk & Reckless Dumb Luck triggers (maybe with some Ricochets and Blasts mixed in for variety), and draw all your cards into hand, only to end the turn with Som'er surrounded by Corpse Markers, and have to discard your hands back down to six...

I *love* it!

Someone migth possibly own 17 Bayou Gremlins cause he played Zipp with dread pirate and 16 gremlins and had 17 unbury targets and 17 incites =D (#Interference)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plenty of lists could have trouble dealing with that. I don't think this game holds up well when people spam models. I have toyed around with some sort of general rare rating, possibly rare 6 to be applied to all models in the game, possibly rare 4 but only at the hiring stage.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:22 AM, Dogmantra said:

I remember reading a battle report or at least anecdote of someone bringing a crew of Som'er with Family Tree, Merris, and 13 Bayou Gremlins and winning. It was probably Dom Westerland.

Sure. That's the thing - with Som'er there to hand out :ram to his entourage, they start presenting a serious threat in those numbers, and if the Schemes are right, a few of them just toddle off to drop Markers around the centerline before dying ;-) It's really not as silly a crew as it might first seem. 

You know it's serious though, when Lenny is along for the ride...

• 1 month later...

Hm. Somer is quite good at card draw, actually. And recently i encountered roster with about 15 cards in hand at turn one, witch actually works.

Banjonista+Crier+Somer, first, killing Crier with df stances, to discard\draw, then get 3 cards for dead crier, git'er bro summoned gremlin 3 times(With skeeters giving masks), to get 9 cards more. It gives you around 14+ cards.

Second part of crew is hog whisperer, old major and two warpigs.

This crew is about devastating alphastrike at turn 1, with 2 reactivating war pigs with + for attacks and damage(First time from major, second time from "one pig against the world"). And with rams from Somer(who can be pushed to the enemy part of the table, to give out rams), it gives you ALOT of charges with pluses and 2\4\6 damage.

And if you do things in right order - this crew actually works, and it's pretty effective, since by the time you dive in with pigs - you are already outactivating your enemy.

• Like 2